1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing Chrome Grille Shell

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Stuligan, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    Stuligan

Stuligan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    Hello all, I just bought my first Tacoma (used) this past Saturday. It's a 2005 TRD SR5. It's kind of a graduation present to myself for when I graduate as a mechanical engineer in April (I will be driving it as of this upcoming Saturday though).

However, being a fresh graduate I've tied up what extra finances I had in purchasing this truck. I am not a big fan of chrome and would like to get rid of it from the front on my truck. Does anyone know/have an either chrome or black grille shell they would be interesting in parting with for not very much? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on the best method of painting the current chrome shell to black? I figured because it's plastic I could just sand it down and spray paint then clear coat it, but I've been talking to some friends who advise against doing that. Any suggestions?

I would only be looking for a spare chrome grille for if I decide to just go ahead and paint the current one and I mess it up.

2. Mar 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    Sand it down pretty good, get some adhesion promoter and spray a coat of that, then primer, promoter and primer again, a couple coats of paint, a couple thin coats of clear, then a heavy coat of clear

3. Mar 6, 2014 at 3:10 AM
    Traviste

Traviste Now with more woopow

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Locked 4x4 Mid-Travel
    F:King 2.5 coilover resi ext 700#coils R:King 2.5 ext allpro expos
    Plasti dip.

4. Mar 6, 2014 at 4:09 AM
    bobbey555

bobbey555 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 tacoma double cab
    Plasti dipped badges, hid fog and head lights, BHLM
    I did this and it worked very well.

5. Mar 6, 2014 at 4:15 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    X3 If you do it right, it will hold up well, and its easy to repair or go back. Cheap fix till you can get something you really like.

6. Mar 6, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    Traviste

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I dipped mine for two months before I got a color matched one. Looked great

7. Mar 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    Does the use of the plasti dip require sanding all the other work? I'm looking at the product on home depot's site and it doesn't specify.

Is plasti grip also something that could work for coating the skid plates? And the rims while I'm at it?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. Mar 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    No sanding. Just clean well and light coats. That's the benefit, you can peel it off to return to original. I don't know how well it will hold up on skids. People have had success on wheels though.

9. Mar 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    I did my center caps on my wheels 2 years ago thats been holding up good. I also did the lower part of my front bumper at the same time thats a little beat up but still looks ok. You will get little tears from rocks and bugs hitting it but its very easy to touch up.

10. Mar 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    Traviste

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    This
    Dip is not impervious to chips scratches Ect but it touches up easy. Helps up on my wheels and bumpers.
    I also did my chrome rear bumper about the months ago

11. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:33 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
  12. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Yep. Rattle can is the way to go.

13. Mar 7, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Thanks for the advice guys! I just ordered some plasti dip as Home Depot says they are online order only. Plus I don't pick up my truck till tomorrow morning anyways. I will post some pictures after I get it all painted up. Thanks again!

14. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    I used the spray cans as well the one thing I liked the most about the dip is that it can come off if you don't like it. I forgot to put that I dipped my rear chrome bumper too. I like the black look so much that I took the rear bumper off over the summer pealed the dip off and bedlinered it black for a stronger finish. I tend to back into bushes alot the dip held up good but had a few tears.

15. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Here's mine. Done using the rattle can. Clean it good and it'll last a long time. Had a few stone chips over time and just got the can back out and touched it up. Easy peasy. Good luck!

[​IMG]

16. Mar 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    For future reference, you can usually find it at Walmart as well.

I dipped my badges a few weeks ago, looks great. Going to do the rear bumper once it warms up a bit.

17. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '14 DC PreRunner TRD
    It's more expensive at Walmart. Like 6 bucks a can at homer and 7.20 at Wally.

18. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    The plasti dip arrived much faster than I had anticipated. I painted the grill and bumper after I finished my classes for the day. It looks fantastic. I did find however that it works a lot better when it is a warmer environment (5 Deg C in the garage vs 15 Deg C in the basement. I plan on doing the rims and decals as well but probably in the spring if it ever rolls around in Southern Ontario. Not worth cleaning the whole truck up to paint when it's just going to get covered in the salt residue the next time it leaves the driveway.

Grill Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

19. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    ailll1

ailll1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Québec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Sport Double cab
    I don't get why people hate chrome so much... My chrome grill looks awesome IMO. Fits with chromed headlights.

[​IMG]

20. Mar 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    True enough, I intend on installing some projector head lights once I've graduated and start making money (I don't have any student debts so nothing to pay off, and work lined up). I was going to go with the black background projector headlights. The chrome just looks to flashy for me, and the matte black is a little more subtle. To each his own though, if we all did the same things to our trucks they wouldn't be very interesting to look at.

Products Discussed in

To Top