1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6spd hunting for rpm while in motion??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kevinjeanlucphina, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    It's too bad OP got up in arms over a few bad posts. This thread has become become pretty informative.

2. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    funny. I had no comment for the original question. never coasted my truck other than between gears and when stopping from 6th the last second or so I end up coasting in neutral. guess im behind the times.

one of the first mt trucks I drove on public roads was an old Toyota 5lug minus tach.
    had to ferry a mechanic around because he lost his license. dude was silent the entire 40 minute drive until I got off the highway and threw it in neutral from 60mph to come to a stop and he very thoroughly reamed my ass! like I wanted to cry kind of lecture! never forgot

3. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Coasting in neutral is prohibited here in BC for all vehicles, but unless you did it during a driving examination, I really don't know how it would ever be enforced. We have lots of laws and regulations like that though, many never get enforced, so just as many get ignored by the general public.

I'm wondering if these are emoticons bring enough childishness to the thread to keep it going? :cookiemonster::dancingbacon::kona::yay: :jellydance:

4. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    The dancing bacon always makes me hungry.

5. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Oh, well yes, that obviously makes sense...I guess my brain was looking past the obvious and thinking more towards issues with the transmission itself.

6. Mar 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    funny because in most motorcycle safety classes they teach you to coast to a stop in neutral. which... i never do anyways. i prefer to be able to slow down as efficiently as possible.

same in my trucks.. so i was inadvertently doing it right.

does the ecu really shut down the injectors on a heavy decel like that?

7. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    - For most drivers fuel cut-off isn't that easy to achieve or use, it causes too much engine braking therefore more fuel use since you stay on the gas much longer. Sure down an extended incline of course it's the way to go, but I'm coasting in neutral much more than in gear, and getting what some would say impossible mpg. Coasting a long way at idle is better than coasting in gear for a short distance with possibly no fuel.

- If you are braking while in neutral you are gonna wear out your brakes, but that not doing it right, coast in neutral when you don't need to brake.

- I've never had a situation where flooring it would have helped. Even if that would happen my I4 sure isn't gonna save me without a downshift, so if I'm in neutral I'm just a little closer than being in the wrong gear for a quick move.

8. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I saw above, and it says aggressive braking even with a slight tap of the brakes, which results in too much braking, so neutral is better for me.

The best way to save gas is planning on not using your brakes at all, engine braking hinders that effort most of the time for me.

9. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Either way, I get way better mpg coasting in neutral. Are you sure there is fuel cutoff with less engine braking? I'm stick so I don't know, does it downshift with the tap on the brake? My guess is at 40 in D it is not in fuel cutoff.

Products Discussed in

To Top