1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm thinking of buying a new V6 DC PreRunner. Am I an idiot?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rtmerry, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    This locker bit sounds mysterious. What is it exactly?

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    My interjection to all this feedback: THANK YOU, gentlemen. I can't say thanks enough. Slowly but surely I'm being armed with knowledge. :p

3. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    I've owned a 2wd truck and a 4x4 truck (current). The 2WD was in Michigan and 4x4 in Colorado. If you never off-road I'd say 2WD is fine. Get some snow tires and put 300-400 lbs of sand in the bed over the rear axle and you're fine in the winter with 2WD.

4x4 definitely helps the resale value though.

4. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    A locking rear differential, with the press of a button both of the rear tires turn the same speed, unlike a regular open differential where all the power go's to the wheel with the least traction.
    Say you were driving in a ice storm a little to fast and you went half in the ditch (right side of the truck is in the ditch, left side is on the road/shoulder) if you have a open diff the tire in the ditch will most likely be the one getting the power (assuming that it's muddy in the ditch and not Icey on the shoulder) hence just sitting there and spinning.
    If you have locker you can engage the locker and the same power will be going to both wheels no matter what, possibly getting you out of the ditch, and definitely helping if someone is towing your truck out of the ditch with their truck.

There's a good video showing it on YouTube if you search "locker vs open diff", I'd post it but I'm on my phone.

5. Mar 12, 2014 at 3:38 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I would not buy a 4x4 if you do not need it. More money, more maintenance, and a little lower MPGs. Not sure why all these people are trying to talk you in to a 4x4. I sold my 4 year old 2009 prerunner with 87k on odometer for 85% of purchase price so do not listen to resale bunk. Now if you live in snow country this all changes.

6. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:07 AM
    StockSuks

StockSuks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Stock
    2013 TRD Sport Prerunner Dbl Cab Short Bed
    6500 miles
    V6
    Stock
    New Condition
    Always Garaged
    Tonneau Cover
    All Weather Mats

$27,000

Pm me if interested

003283.jpg

7. Mar 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    OK, without getting too detailed I'll try and explain it simple. The TRD packages Sport and Off Road, will be more expensive to start. Than the "base" and "SR5". Which are all of the top four packages.

1. The TRD Sport - the differences that you'll see is, the non functional hood scoop, the side mirrors have lights, the rear bumper and grill will be color matched to vehicle, and it will have different seats.

2. The TRD Off Road- I honestly don't think you would really need it, do to what you said, so I wont confuse you.

If what the Sport has to offer isn't that important to you, then you might want to consider a Base or an SR5. And save some money.

3. The Base - will have some pieces not painted to match the color of the truck, like the bumper and fender flares, so it's your most basic.

4. The SR5- has everything painted to match, but has a chrome grill and rear bumper. And is a good option if you don't care for or "need" some of what the other packages offer.

For instance you could probably get a base or SR5 4x4 for the cost of a pre runner TRD Sport. It's been a while since I'm up on all the detailed costs(which will vary some depending on where you are). But that would give you something different to think about. 1. The security if you ever did need 4x4 you would have it. 2. For the future you would have better resale value.

There is other packages but there a little more rare and from the sound of it not sure if you'd need that or would wana pay more. I mentioned visual differences because you said the "look" of Sport. But the mechanics are the same with exception to some of the packages like Off Road and Sport which would be things like suspension and Lockers... Stuff I wouldn't think you'd care about anyway.

Hope that helps some.

8. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    frankrizzo

frankrizzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD SBDC Off-Road
    Undercover SE Tonneau, Weather Tech, Swing Case tool boxes, Bed mat, Wet Okole
    As said before use a car buying service like Costco or USAA it is so much easier. Instead of you doing all the leg work they do it for you and you'll get pretty much get what you want, let alone a break on the price. Take you time finding what you want and continue to ask questions here, you wont go wrong owning a Taco! Hey the price is what it is but 8 years from now you'll be amazed how much you get once you get rid of it.

9. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    pickle

pickle UAW made TEAMSTER driven

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    tacoma, wa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd or 4x4 access cab
    5100's, rear leaf tsb, snugtop shell, wet okole's, weather-techs
    I know you can get a full report from Consumers Reports for about 15.00. 1)they give you the "invoice" price(price given to the dealer by the manufacturer) 2) the "sticker" price(what the dealer wants you to PAY) also known as "MSRP". you should always bargain "UP" from invoice price, NEVER "DOWN" from sticker price, that is listed on the vehicles windshield or door window label on showroom floor. Consumer Reports number is 1-866-528-8742. it is worth 15.00 to save thousands. once you are armed with this info, start the hunt on internet pricing with several dealerships. don't get in a hurry, never buy till you are ready. make them earn your business, and make them battle on price. once you decide if you want a "sport", off-road, SR5, then call CR and they help you like no-one else can, they are god-send when dealing with these car salesmen. I have used CR for all my purchasing of major products over last 15 years, they are the best at what they do. don't confuse CR (Consumer Reports) with the others, such as Consumer Digest, J.D. Powell, Motortrend, etc. as they are all "for profit" and represented by and funded by certain interests(Chevy, Ford, Dodge). CR is the only (non-profit) one who gives what actual owners of any and all product reviews

10. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    pickle

pickle UAW made TEAMSTER driven

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    tacoma, wa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd or 4x4 access cab
    5100's, rear leaf tsb, snugtop shell, wet okole's, weather-techs
    all dealers have an invoice. salesmen are playin' you, BE AWARE!! if you cant locate the "invoice" for free anywhere online, call CR and they will have it... CR is your "best friend" when dealing with car salesmen...Be sure to know exactly what model you want, then call CR @866-528-8742, then go hunting for best internet pricing. Once you have the best deal online , Then and ONLY THEN, enter the dealership armed to the teeth with your knowledge. And NEVER back down. Don't be afraid to "walk away" if they try to BS you. You will get the price you want, just got to be educated about the whole process. Tell them what YOU want, not what THEY want!

11. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    4x4 definitely helps the resale value though.[/QUOTE]

yes it does

Products Discussed in

To Top