1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to haul motorcycles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tector, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    sideways19

sideways19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access Cab
    Yep diagonal is the way to go!

[​IMG]

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You guys that keep saying diagonal, your mx bikes are tiny. A Kawi 1500 is a BIG bike, long and heavy and there's no way it's fitting in the bed.
    OP, I just don't see any realistic way to do it, at least not the spyder and the sidecar rig.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. Mar 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Tector

Tector [OP] Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD V6
    Old Racer: I appreciate your comments, based (as they are) on experience. Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that getting that big Kawasaki in the bed of my Tacoma is not in the cards.

From the U-Haul web site, it seems that the longest open (not enclosed) trailer that they rent is 12 feet. I don't think I could get the Can-Am and the Kawasaki on it, but if I can, it will be because of something like what trdtoy suggested (Can-Am on first, furniture mover under the rear wheel, ratchet the rear wheel over toward one side, bring the Kawasaki on at an angle, and with the front end of the Kawasaki next to the rear end of the Can-Am).

And I think the only way to get the Can-Am and the sidecar rig on the same trailer will be to get a 16-foot trailer, like (for instance) the Aluma 6316 (two-axle utility trailer). That's not something that I'll be able to rent, though-- at least I haven't been able to find a source to rent such a trailer. And as I mentioned before, I'm reluctant to spend the buck$ to buy such a trailer, because I don't know how much use I'd get from it, and when the trailer wasn't being used, I'd have to pay to store it somewhere (I don't have the property to do that).

Isn't it just like a woman (my wife) to make problems like this for me?

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Guys, just a reminder,
    The original poster started this discussion, we get that.
    However, members are free to comment on any discussion unless they are banned for some reason.
    Sometimes members may contribure information or bring up sub-topics that may or may not be related. This can be called hijacking the discussion but not always.
    Members are also free to discuss the sub-topics or hijacked content.

Remember, sometimes know-it-all members chastise new members for asking questions and condescendingly refer them to the search function. The search function is often used to look up topics. A topic title as general as "How to haul motorcycles" could be found by a dirtbike rider just as easily as a cruiser bike rider, so the dirtbike advice would be useful information to some members.

Not a personal attack, just a reminder.

All bikes are awesome.

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    trdtoy

trdtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 4x4 auto v6 turbo (sold)
    Turbo with supporting mods and tranny to hold power.
    I do not recommend backing it on as this would be a disaster as you mentioned. Pull on foward and back off with 1 or 2 people much safer and easier. Securing the bike here will be doable and easy with proper equipment. Definitely need a 12' to haul side car as well. Pics of bike with sidecar from the op would be helpful as well as if detaching is easy or not. Regarding weight distribution and bike weight. Bikes weigh roughly same however spyders weight is more toward front and nomad more even split thus me suggesting spyder pulled on to front then nomad pulled on as well as far foward as possible to ensure tongue weight.nomad may or may not be able to be pulledto front rail of trailer depending on track width of spyder and trailer being used. If unable to pull nomad to front rail it would be 2-3' back from front thus needing longerthan 10' trailer to be safe. Also having it this far back will still keep weight over or in fron of axle on 12' trailer vs 10'. I have hauled a lot and know a bit about safety and weight distribution ect and this seems like a no brainer for me. The key is having proper equipment to to it safely, legally, and correctly..... Check with dot in states of planned travel for laws regarding securing loads trailers ect.....

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    trdtoy

trdtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 4x4 auto v6 turbo (sold)
    Turbo with supporting mods and tranny to hold power.
    From the U-Haul web site, it seems that the longest open (not enclosed) trailer that they rent is 12 feet. I don't think I could get the Can-Am and the Kawasaki on it, but if I can, it will be because of something like what trdtoy suggested (Can-Am on first, furniture mover under the rear wheel, ratchet the rear wheel over toward one side, bring the Kawasaki on at an angle, and with the front end of the Kawasaki next to the rear end of the Can-Am).

And I think the only way to get the Can-Am and the sidecar rig on the same trailer will be to get a 16-foot trailer, like (for instance) the Aluma 6316 (two-axle utility trailer). That's not something that I'll be able to rent, though-- at least I haven't been able to find a source to rent such a trailer. And as I mentioned before, I'm reluctant to spend the buck$ to buy such a trailer, because I don't know how much use I'd get from it, and when the trailer wasn't being used, I'd have to pay to store it somewhere (I don't have the property to do that).

Set the rigs up as I suggested in drivway and measure space they take up. With my method you may be able to get sidecar on trailer as well. If not then if sidecar can be removed it can easily be hauled and secured in bed of taco. Pics or description of sidecar or measurements would help.

7. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You sure your in the right thread?

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member: