1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ECGS BUSHING AND CV BOOT REPLACEMENT HOW TO

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 92dlxman, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    gearheadmatt

gearheadmatt Active Member

Member:
    couple quick questions. First mine is a 1st gen so if that negates the question then so be it.
    Boots are cracking so I'm about to do them but found this thread...
    1) I have front end vibes in 4wd over 50mph. Is the eggs bushing you're referring to an issue on 1st gens?
    2) If so, i couldn't find the vid on eat coast's web site. Got a link? Only found article on removing/installing stub shaft...
    3) Anyone found boots better suited to lifted apps?
    Thnx

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman [OP] drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv...edded&list=PLaX0YktJvGQuk-Xge30aZX-EXwvlKNUVK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WnA_R3gFf2s

im not familiar with the 1st gen taco, but ecgs DOES make a bushing for it. but in my experience, the shotty needle bearing in my diff (different than 1st gen) vibrated in 2wd only. in 4wd, the axle gets locked in to the diff and the vibe goes away.

link to ecgs 1st gen bushing: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14472912-toyota-7-5-clamshell-bushing.html#videos

the videos I copied are of 2nd gen diffs

3. Mar 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman [OP] drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    allprooffroad has an outer "long travel" c/v boot that will fit your truck, but no inner that I can find. I would expect Toyota to be the best but im kind of hard-core like that lol

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    gearheadmatt

gearheadmatt Active Member

Member:
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Waiting to hear back from ECGS on diagnosing if its the bushing or maybe a U joint...

5. Apr 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    Doug.McKee

Doug.McKee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Grovetown GA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB Magnetic Gray 4X4
    Body: Bushwacker fender flares CMC Body mount mod Custom dual exhaust Magnaflow muffler Debadged Predator steps Backup camera Extang trifecta tonneau cover Customcargrill's mesh grill with raptor letters from B.A.M.F. Rear differential breather mod Tacoma Bed mat ECGS clamshell bushing replacement for needle bearing Rigid series fog lights (SAE Approved) Rigid Dually lights ICON UCA's Interior: Rugged Ridge front and rear floor liners Line-X door sill protectors TRD shift knob Black Katskin leather seats Recovery: ARB snatch straps Hi-Lift Jack Armor: Pelfrybilt front plate bumper
    I got the CV Axle bushing from ECGS along with removal tool, the install tool, and the axle seal. I was trying to find out more information on the install tool(s) (guessing everything in the red toolbox). Has anyone used these?

[​IMG]

6. Apr 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I used the install tool pictured. You simply use the right sized collar, bolt up the driver to it, and hammer away until the bushing is in.

7. Apr 17, 2015 at 2:04 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    But you don't want to hammer it all the wat in too far. Then it may contact the spider gear or something like that. Follow the video exactly probs

8. Apr 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    dumbassdave

dumbassdave Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I used a socket, flipped around so that the part you would put the head of a bolt into was facing you. The nice flat surface on the other side was in contact with the ECGS bushing. Put an extension into the socket and hammered away. Bit stressful as it is in there pretty damned tight and I was freaked about making sure it went in straight.

Those thing's you've got there look pretty slick though!

9. Jun 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    06tacodude

06tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    IG: @go_nesw
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 4, TC UCA, K&N filter, SG-II, Relentless Fabrication bumpers, RCI Sliders and tank skid, BajaDesigns LED, URDMAF, 4.56 Yukon Gears, Rear ARB locker, ARB dual air compressor, RLD cap, Prinsu cab rack, FNWheels Six Shooter.
    I need to put in the ECGS bearing that I received, since I will be replacng my wheel bearings.
    Anyone had luck with using the Pilot Bearing Puller Attachment 27059 that you can loan at PepBoys?
    upload_2015-6-18_12-25-49.jpg

They also have the Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set 27119 for loan.
    upload_2015-6-18_12-27-30.jpg

10. Jun 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    Doug.McKee

Doug.McKee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Grovetown GA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB Magnetic Gray 4X4
    Body: Bushwacker fender flares CMC Body mount mod Custom dual exhaust Magnaflow muffler Debadged Predator steps Backup camera Extang trifecta tonneau cover Customcargrill's mesh grill with raptor letters from B.A.M.F. Rear differential breather mod Tacoma Bed mat ECGS clamshell bushing replacement for needle bearing Rigid series fog lights (SAE Approved) Rigid Dually lights ICON UCA's Interior: Rugged Ridge front and rear floor liners Line-X door sill protectors TRD shift knob Black Katskin leather seats Recovery: ARB snatch straps Hi-Lift Jack Armor: Pelfrybilt front plate bumper
    06tacodude do not use the pilot bearing puller. My buddy and I just got finished with this project this weekend. Initially I bought the removal tool from ECGS and the small machined part at the end to pull the bushing out bent and snapped. It most likely was due to having it not set straight. After that we tried a slide hammer with the pilot bearing tool attached and it could not provide enough force to get the bushing out of there. You need steady pressure as provided by the tool. After calling it a day we drove up to ECGS and got a replacement for the part we broke, made sure we had it set in straight that time, and it came out with no problem.

I will say that it was more of a pain to get the new bushing to go in straight even though we had the had tools provided by ECGS. It seemed no matter how hard we tried, the first couple taps always seemed to go at an angle. After constantly resetting for about an hour we finally got it.

Overall I think that it improved upon the vibrations I had but did not completely stop them. It just makes no sense why I only vibrate in 2WD from 45-60 MPH. I guess next step will to get realigned again and balanced. After that I am clueless.

11. Jun 23, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    06tacodude

06tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    IG: @go_nesw
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 4, TC UCA, K&N filter, SG-II, Relentless Fabrication bumpers, RCI Sliders and tank skid, BajaDesigns LED, URDMAF, 4.56 Yukon Gears, Rear ARB locker, ARB dual air compressor, RLD cap, Prinsu cab rack, FNWheels Six Shooter.
    Thanks for the feedback Doug.McKee. I guess now I'm in a search for a puller.
    Calling all TW members that have a puller I can borrow or buy from?
    I'm hoping to put in the ECGS bearing in the next week since I'm replacing my front wheel bearings as well.

12. Jun 23, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I just used an air hammer to remove the bearing assembly off the CV shaft. Needless to say there was a lot of crap flying everywhere. :D

13. Feb 26, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Could be a tire balancing issue or could be a driveshaft balancing issue. Take it to a driveshaft shop first and have the driveshaft pulled and spun up on a dynamic balanced to see how she does. If that goes fine it's pretty much got to be a tire balance issues somewhere, several other posters have reported getting a bad tire/wheel and having to replace it to fix vibrations

Products Discussed in

To Top