1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is Full Size Spare marked "For Temp Use"?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by keninsb, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Mar 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I just replaced the spare on my '13 Taco with one that had the same wheel and tires that I am running on my truck. I just bought the wheels and tires 3k miles ago so it is good timing, I can start rotating the spare too.
    Anyway, when I pulled the factory spare, it has the factory alloy wheel (minus the chrome cover) and a Bridgestone Dueler H/T 265/60 R18 tire. There was a sticker on the lip of the rim that said "For Temporary Use". I don't get it, this looks like a regular tire and rim. Why would it say "For Temporary Use"? It has been balanced, so the only thing I can think of is that it is missing a TPMS. Any ideas? :confused:
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    You are probably 100% correct about the TPMS sensor. If the tire itself isn't branded as temporary use only, then that would be it

3. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    i don't see why the spare wouldn't have a TPS in it. my 2008 has one in the spare

4. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    I'm with landphil and believe it's because the spare doesn't have a TPMS. (I don't think the '14's have them in the spares.) I have a Limited with the same wheel at home and I'll take a look at mine tonight and post back if it has the same sticker.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  5. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    I think that 2008 was the last year with 5 TPMS sensors.

6. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Which was a PITA, because Toyota mounted the spares so the valve-stem side of the wheel was up against the truck bed. That was an annoying cold morning trying to figure all that out.

On the plus side, it did teach me the patently ridiculous Rube Goldberg system for lowering the spare tire down so that I didn't have to figure it out on the side of the road. Also, the wheel fits back in the spot flipped over, so the stem is now accessible without having to drop it again.

7. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    personally I think a tpms on the spare is a good idea for those who don't EVER look at the spare.....most of America most likely...until they need it at the side of the road and it's flat.. :facepalm:

8. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Agreed.

9. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd be willing to bet it's because of the TPMS or lack thereof. I don't believe my 2007 spare had that sticker but it did have the sensor in the spare.

10. Mar 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks guys for ALL of the feedback! I don't think it has a TPMS on the spare, but I DO think it should. I get that it could get low setting off the TPMS light which is a PITA, but it is more of a PITA to pull out a spare tire only to find it to low to run. I did have a TPMS put on my new wheel that is now installed in the spare tire location and plan on running one of these:
    [​IMG]
    that I purchased to a convenient location to check the spare.
    I do remember looking at the TPMS system through Techstream and cannot remember if it had a 5th sensor or not, but did overhear the guy at the tire place say that it didn't. Either way it is stupid not to have the option. You used to be able to look at the software and select 4 or 5 tires, so the spare didn't have to have a TPMS, but at least you had the option.
    Anyway, good to know that is probably the only reason for the sticker.
    Thanks again guys,
    Ken

11. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    We should consider ourselves lucky that we even have a spare. I know some newer cars to save money and space have a can of Fix-A-Flat and a small air compressor instead of a spare.

12. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I am one of those "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" guys so I carry a tire plug repair kit and a 12v air pump, so hopefully (depending on the type of flat) I should be covered. I have used it a couple of times before and the kits like the one I have the link to work very well and have saved my bacon a couple of times. If I owned a vehicle with NO spare, I would definitely invest in the heavy duty plug kit and the portable 12v compressor.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Ken

13. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Great Option for 4 or 5 years, 'til the hose starts leaking,
    then you're on the side of the road with a deflated spare anyway. :(
    Check it, along with the other four, weekly.
    I opted for one with a stainless braid, hopin' it would last longer.

CC

14. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    my 2011 had tpms in the spare.

15. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Oh, agreed. I'm glad the sensor is there so I don't have to worry about the tire. I just like to complain about things that are stupid. And mounting the tire from the factory with the valve stem up is one of those things. :)

16. Mar 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I totally agree. Actually, I was wondering if the damn thing would leak right off the bat. I decided to give it a shot anyway and if it does not work I would try to find a more permanent solution (steel braided line, aluminum tubing, etc.).
    Ken

17. Mar 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

More of a weight and MPG thing...

Products Discussed in

To Top