1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best,Most Cost Effective Front Leveling Lift for 4x4 & P.R. Tacomas w/ TSB Rear Leafs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Mar 17, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    I finally decided on, and installed a setup to level my 2012 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 after much time-consuming research and decision making. I decided to make a thread in order to aid others interested in properly leveling their 4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas WITH the TSB rear leaf springs in the most effective manner, in function as well as cost. This particular setup is the CLOSEST to mirroring that of the Factory-offered TX-Baja Tacoma as well as the up-incoming TRDpro Tacoma (same factory setups) but WITHOUT the need to spend upwards of $1200 for the parts alone that are offered on the TX-Baja or TRDpro and you will not have to worry about any V.I.N. restrictions. I will now list the required hardware and some of the reasoning i took to achieve this lift:

FRONT SETUP:

Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorbers: (SET @ Zero/Base Height): These shocks are nearly the same shocks as offered on the TX-Baja and TRDpro except the Shocks you will buy will (1.) have the ability for the spring cup to be adjusted with a movable snap-ring into four different positions (of which, again, you will be the Stock/Base setting) and (2.) will not have the fancy TRD stickers on the shock.

Toytec/Eibach Front Coil Springs (P/N 112-620): These coils are the same design as the TX-Baja or TRDpro that come from the factory, the only two differences are (1.) they are Silver in color instead of Red, and (2.) they are NOT side specific, meaning that the driver's side spring will NOT compensate for driver's side lean (see next item for further explanation on "TACO-LEAN"). When these coils are paired with Bilstein 5100 shock absorbers, set at the ZERO or BASE setting, they offer an average 1.6 inches of lift (this number will vary only slightly depending on weather you have Regular Cab, Access Cab, or Double Cab; the Larger the Cab, obviously the more weight there will be.) When the Toytec/Eibach coils are compared to the OEM linear coil springs, The Toytec/Eibach springs have approx 1 additional coil winding in height added to them over the stock springs, that additional coil winding is where your lift is coming from. Now, Toyota says with their Factory Setup on the TX-Baja and TRDpro they have gained an average of a 2 inches of front lift. I personally believe that Toyota just rounded up the 1.6 inch number to 2 inches to make their setup "sound better" to potential buyers since it is only the minute amount of 0.4 of an inch difference between the 2 inch and 1.6 inch, plus, saying 2 inches is easier than saying 1.6 inches, but that's open to debate lol.

Toytec Front Top Plate Lean-Correction Spacer 1/4 inch (FOR DRIVER SIDE ONLY) (P/N TP14): This item is needed because, as stated previously, the Toytec/Eibach Springs are not Side-Specific, meaning that both springs are identical in construction where as the Stock springs ARE Side-Specific, the Stock driver's side spring is made a bit beefier in construction than the passenger side spring since their is much more additional weight on the driver's side of the vehicle when compared to the passenger side (driver's side has the Gas Tank, Battery, And the Human in the Driver's seat where as the passenger side has none of these things, that extra weight causes the Tacoma to "Lean" to the driver's side slightly, usually about a 1/2 of an inch lower when compared to the front passenger side.) Since the Toytec/Eibach springs are the same in construction, one is not made beefier than the other, this 1/4 inch spacer is needed on the DRIVER'S SIDE ONLY to help "prop up" the driver's side of the vehicle to cope with the extra weight and make the truck sit as close to evenly from side to side. You may be wondering why The 1/4 spacer provides approximately 1/2 of an inch of lift even though it is a 1/4 inch spacer? Vaguely, it is because of how the trajectory of the Tacoma front suspension is laid out and how it was deigned.. so somehow 1/4 inch = a 1/2 inch of lift at the end. All that matters is that you need to add a 1/2 inch to fix the lean and the 1/4 inch Top Plate Spacer Provides that fix.

REAR SETUP:

*MUST HAVE* REAR TOYOTA TSB LEAF PACK:
    All TX-Baja's and TRDpro Tacomas have a rear 4-leaf pack. What the TSB leaf is, is basically a Factory Add A Leaf (AAL) that Toyota began adding to people's 4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas who complained of weak rear leafs resulting in lower than normal rear ride height. Back when 2nd gen 4x4 and Prerunner Tacoma's first came out there was only three leafs per leaf pack, the leaf packs would age prematurely and Toyota came up with the solution of installing one more leaf the each side (the TSB), making for a total of four leafs per pack. This "Overload TSB AAL" would then add approximately 1.5 inches of additional ride height to the rear of the truck. If you do not have the TSB rear leafs installed (usually on years older than 2012, because 2012 was the first year the TSB leafs became Standard Issue on 4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas) if you perform the Front Setup as described earlier without having the TSB leafs installed your front end will sit too high when compaired to back and your truck will have a "Bro Lean" going on lol. If you do not have the TSB leafs and want to have this setup i've been describing you can go down to your local Toyota dealer and request to have the TSB leafs installed free of charge to you. (If you're still in your warrantee period, otherwise you must check with your Toyota dealer for pricing)

Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock Absorbers: These shocks are nearly the same shocks as offered on the TX-Baja and TRDpro except the Shocks you will buy will (1.) They will not have the Remote Reservoir like the TX-Baja or TRDpro Tacomas would have (BUT you could opt for a Bilstein 5160 rear shocks which is the same as the 5100 rear shock but it DOES have the Remote Reservoir just like the TX-Baja or TRDpro, my reasoning for not getting the 5160's is because A.) they were an extra $200.00 over normal Bilstein 5100's and B.) the fluid in the Remote Reservoir does need to be changed every now and again for optimum shock life and performance, and i did not want to be bothered with changing it lol) and (2.) will not have the fancy TRD stickers on the shock.

My Final Numbers After Leveling Lift (all tires had same 34psi of air in them and I had a 1/2 Tank of Gas; all measured on level ground from the ground to top of the wheel arch):

Front Driver's Side
    :
    36.5 inches
    Front Passenger's Side: 36.5 inches
    Rear Driver's Side: 36.75 inches
    Rear Passenger's Side: 36.75 inches

Rake from front to back was only 0.25 inches off, with the rear sitting 0.25 inches higher, id consider that pretty dead level lol :eek:

*Side notes, alignment came out normal... had it alignmed at my local Toyota Dealer, and no new upper control arms were needed or used and no front differential drop was needed or used.

*Attached pictures are images of my truck taken right after it was aligned at the Toyota dealer and after i drove to my local shopping mall, the mall was NOT where i took my measurements*

-Total Spent on Parts was approx: $600.00 plus $130.00 for alignment @ Toyota Dealer

Any questions, plz dont hesitate to ask :cool:

fff2.jpg
    ffff5.jpg
    fff3.jpg
    fff4.jpg
    fff1.jpg
    fff6.jpg
    ffff.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Mar 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Looks good, Kyle! :cheers: :thumbsup:

3. Mar 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    The TSB leafs are not free, they are only free if you are under warranty.....

4. Mar 17, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Haha thank you sir! :D

5. Mar 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Oh, seriously, well ill make that edit... alot of ppl have told me they have gotten it done for free even with fairly old trucks. Maybe they haf an extended warrantee???

6. Mar 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    maybe. i bought a used 07 last year and called my dealer, they said they wont do it for free without a warranty, the TSB's can be done anyway but they are only free with a warranty

7. Mar 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Well I do hope this thread does help some people :)

8. Mar 17, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    looks pretty darn good :D

9. Mar 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!! :eek:

10. Mar 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

3+1 leafs (what you are calling tsb leafs) DID NOT become standard on 4x4's / prerunners in 2012... that is a lie...

TYPICALLY (but not 100% the case) it was only TRD sports and SR5's with tow packages that came with the 4 leaf packs.... everything else came with the 3 leaf packs. Case and point my 2013 4x4 TRD off road dcsb v6 auto WITH TOW PACKAGE.... built in august of 2013 bought in november of 2013, came with the 2+1 leaf pack (3 leafs total) I just recently had them put in a 3+1 (4 leaf pack) to fix the driveline vibration. Only as of VERY recent (mid november - december) did ALL 6 lug taco's start coming with the 4 leaf packs.

As far as getting a 4 leaf pack for free, there are at the moment 2 ways of getting that 2005-2011 trucks T-SB-0359-10 rear spring harsh ride, or 2005-2013 trucks T-SB-0008-14 driveline vibration. This is assuming you are within the 3 year 36k mi warranty. Or you bitch and moan enough to the dealer.

Also looks like you have a DCSB SR5 w/ tow package, and just so happen to have a TRD off road sticker on there (no fog lights, black rear bumper, plastic black front) This is why you had the "TSB" 4 leaf pack as described above.

and 130 dollars for alignment... jezus 50 tops.

And why not run stock coils with the 5100's set at 1.75.... saves you from buying extended springs.

11. Mar 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I think your being a little hard on the guy. He did a pretty good write up. It's understandable there's a little confusion on the years and models when different leafs were used. I don't think he was intentionally lieing to everyone.

Price for alignment in relative to your location. Mine cost around $90.

Using different springs with 5100's is common. Some use stock, some use aftermarket. Using stock coils can be quite uncomfortable when compressed.

12. Mar 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 LT
    I have the exact same set up and love it!

photo (35).jpg

13. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    TypicalPete

TypicalPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab
    Thanks for the write up!

14. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Hey thanks man, im honestly trying to clear up the confusion, but yeah, my 2012, which is a base model, not even an SR5 came from the factory with 4 leafs without me having to say anything or request any action, granted it does have the tow package, and 98% of v6 4x4's and prerunners do, but from some of the feedback im getting it certainly sounds like that vehicles being 'standard' for the TSB's as far back as 2012 may have been zip code or region specific as a possibility?? And yeah, $130 sounded alittle high to me as well because it was $75 at the same dealer two years ago.. but then again they did add another dealership to the automall, they must be trying to cover their losses :p

15. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Hek yeah man! Looks good!!

16. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome! Anytime!

17. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I didn't mean your alignment price was high, I was just saying to the other guy that prices will be different by location.

I hear you with the leafs. Theres a lot of different situations going on from TSBs to standard equipment.

It's a good write up. Lots of info. :thumbsup:

18. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I gotcha man lol and you are correct, and thanks so much dude, I appreciate you taking your time out to read through all of it lol. :D

19. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some people care a lot more about ride quality then lift. 5100s on stock coils will ride like shit, some people may be okay with it but why be rude about what YOU think someone should do...

Very nice write up lots of good info even if some was a little off this will help a lot of people

20. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    MrShoehorn

MrShoehorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Augusta, SC
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Sport Blue Ribbon
    Looks awesome! How much lift did this give you? I'm looking into doing this, can I run the 5100s at a higher height and still use those eibach coils?

Products Discussed in

To Top