1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Most Cost Effective Front Leveling Lift for 4x4 & P.R. Tacomas w/ TSB Rear Leafs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    *Was told to also submit this write-up to the suspension & Lifts thread by one of the readers, so here it is*

I finally decided on, and installed a setup to level my 2012 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 after much time-consuming research and decision making. I decided to make a thread in order to aid others interested in properly leveling their 4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas WITH the TSB rear leaf springs in the most effective manner, in function as well as cost. This particular setup is the CLOSEST to mirroring that of the Factory-offered TX-Baja Tacoma as well as the up-incoming TRDpro Tacoma (same factory setups) but WITHOUT the need to spend upwards of $1200 for the parts alone that are offered on the TX-Baja or TRDpro and you will not have to worry about any V.I.N. restrictions. I will now list the required hardware and some of the reasoning i took to achieve this lift:

FRONT SETUP:

Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorbers: (SET @ Zero/Base Height): These shocks are nearly the same shocks as offered on the TX-Baja and TRDpro except the Shocks you will buy will (1.) have the ability for the spring cup to be adjusted with a movable snap-ring into four different positions (of which, again, you will be the Stock/Base setting) and (2.) will not have the fancy TRD stickers on the shock.

Toytec/Eibach Front Coil Springs (P/N 112-620): These coils are the same design as the TX-Baja or TRDpro that come from the factory, the only two differences are (1.) they are Silver in color instead of Red, and (2.) they are NOT side specific, meaning that the driver's side spring will NOT compensate for driver's side lean (see next item for further explanation on "TACO-LEAN"). When these coils are paired with Bilstein 5100 shock absorbers, set at the ZERO or BASE setting, they offer an average 1.6 inches of lift (this number will vary only slightly depending on weather you have Regular Cab, Access Cab, or Double Cab; the Larger the Cab, obviously the more weight there will be.) When the Toytec/Eibach coils are compared to the OEM linear coil springs, The Toytec/Eibach springs have approx 1 additional coil winding in height added to them over the stock springs, that additional coil winding is where your lift is coming from. Now, Toyota says with their Factory Setup on the TX-Baja and TRDpro they have gained an average of a 2 inches of front lift. I personally believe that Toyota just rounded up the 1.6 inch number to 2 inches to make their setup "sound better" to potential buyers since it is only the minute amount of 0.4 of an inch difference between the 2 inch and 1.6 inch, plus, saying 2 inches is easier than saying 1.6 inches, but that's open to debate lol.

Toytec Front Top Plate Lean-Correction Spacer 1/4 inch (FOR DRIVER SIDE ONLY) (P/N TP14): This item is needed because, as stated previously, the Toytec/Eibach Springs are not Side-Specific, meaning that both springs are identical in construction where as the Stock springs ARE Side-Specific, the Stock driver's side spring is made a bit beefier in construction than the passenger side spring since their is much more additional weight on the driver's side of the vehicle when compared to the passenger side (driver's side has the Gas Tank, Battery, And the Human in the Driver's seat where as the passenger side has none of these things, that extra weight causes the Tacoma to "Lean" to the driver's side slightly, usually about a 1/2 of an inch lower when compared to the front passenger side.) Since the Toytec/Eibach springs are the same in construction, one is not made beefier than the other, this 1/4 inch spacer is needed on the DRIVER'S SIDE ONLY to help "prop up" the driver's side of the vehicle to cope with the extra weight and make the truck sit as close to evenly from side to side. You may be wondering why The 1/4 spacer provides approximately 1/2 of an inch of lift even though it is a 1/4 inch spacer? Vaguely, it is because of how the trajectory of the Tacoma front suspension is laid out and how it was deigned.. so somehow 1/4 inch = a 1/2 inch of lift at the end. All that matters is that you need to add a 1/2 inch to fix the lean and the 1/4 inch Top Plate Spacer Provides that fix.

REAR SETUP:

*MUST HAVE* REAR TOYOTA TSB LEAF PACK: All TX-Baja's and TRDpro Tacomas have a rear 4-leaf pack. What the TSB leaf is, is basically a Factory Add A Leaf (AAL) that Toyota began adding to people's 4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas who complained of weak rear leafs resulting in lower than normal rear ride height. Back when 2nd gen 4x4 and Prerunner Tacoma's first came out there was only three leafs per leaf pack, the leaf packs would age prematurely and Toyota came up with the solution of installing one more leaf the each side (the TSB), making for a total of four leafs per pack. This "Overload TSB AAL" would then add approximately 1.5 inches of additional ride height to the rear of the truck. If you do not have the TSB rear leafs installed (usually on years older than 2012, because 2012 was the first year the TSB leafs became Standard Issue on 4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas) if you perform the Front Setup as described earlier without having the TSB leafs installed your front end will sit too high when compaired to back and your truck will have a "Bro Lean" going on lol. If you do not have the TSB leafs and want to have this setup i've been describing you can go down to your local Toyota dealer and request to have the TSB leafs installed free of charge to you. (If you're still in your warrantee period, otherwise you must check with your Toyota dealer for pricing)

Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock Absorbers: These shocks are nearly the same shocks as offered on the TX-Baja and TRDpro except the Shocks you will buy will (1.) They will not have the Remote Reservoir like the TX-Baja or TRDpro Tacomas would have (BUT you could opt for a Bilstein 5160 rear shocks which is the same as the 5100 rear shock but it DOES have the Remote Reservoir just like the TX-Baja or TRDpro, my reasoning for not getting the 5160's is because A.) they were an extra $200.00 over normal Bilstein 5100's and B.) the fluid in the Remote Reservoir does need to be changed every now and again for optimum shock life and performance, and i did not want to be bothered with changing it lol) and (2.) will not have the fancy TRD stickers on the shock.

My Final Numbers After Leveling Lift (all tires had same 34psi of air in them and I had a 1/2 Tank of Gas; all measured on level ground from the ground to top of the wheel arch):

Front Driver's Side: 36.5 inches
    Front Passenger's Side: 36.5 inches
    Rear Driver's Side: 36.75 inches
    Rear Passenger's Side: 36.75 inches

Rake from front to back was only 0.25 inches off, with the rear sitting 0.25 inches higher, id consider that pretty dead level lol

*Side notes, alignment came out normal... had it alignmed at my local Toyota Dealer, and no new upper control arms were needed or used and no front differential drop was needed or used.

*Attached pictures are images of my truck taken right after it was aligned at the Toyota dealer and after i drove to my local shopping mall, the mall was NOT where i took my measurements*

-Total Spent on Parts was approx: $600.00 plus $130.00 for alignment @ Toyota Dealer

Any questions, plz dont hesitate to ask

ffff5.jpg
    fff2.jpg
    fff4.jpg
    fff3.jpg
    fff6.jpg
    fff1.jpg
    ffff.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Mar 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Good read dude! Thanks for your effort...

3. Mar 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Hot2na

Hot2na Well-Known Member

Member:
    how do you like them coopers ???

4. Mar 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    You are very welcome, and thx!!

5. Mar 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    The A/T3's are an awesome tire, no complaints at all, id recommend them to anybody lol

6. Mar 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    ToeKneeSock

ToeKneeSock Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    heh
    So what kind of tire size can I run with this set-up without issues/rubbing? I was looking at some new 18" wheel and was thinking of going something like 275/65.

7. Mar 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    That I honestly do not know, im running 265/70/R16's ... the stock size from the trd off road and tx baja since I was trying to achieve the same setup as the baja .... but that size tire on an 18 inch wheel is massive, im pretty sure that that would rub, u may be ok on a 16 inch wheel tho.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top