1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will you consider buying the New Colorado/Canyon Diesel?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jimsc, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Would your consider buying the New Colorado/Canyon when it comes out?

Poll closed Apr 21, 2014.
  1. No, I would never buy anything but a Toyota.

54.9%
  2. Maybe, if like the rest of the Truck.

43.0%
  3. Yes, I plan on buying one when it's available.

2.1%
  1. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    No. I made the mistake of buying a new GMC truck once. I got tired of the leaks and other problems in the 3 years and 18K miles of ownership. What a piece of crap. I'm not convinced the new bailed out GM is any better.

2. Mar 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    rusbob

rusbob Active Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5 4x4
    Just sold my 2003 Silverado about 6 months ago. The Duramax/Allison combination was flawless. Had 220,000 miles on it. Had very few issues with the truck. Don't know about dealer support didn't need it. Went back to Toyota because I sold the big boat and didn't need the 3/4 ton. Overall I like my 2012 Tacoma, but it does have issues: driveline vibration (fixed) and pinging on 87 octane fuel. I miss the diesel torque, the tacoma has to downshift on moderate inclines. The duramax in the Colorado/Canyon may be worth a look in my opinion...

3. Mar 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Yes and no. They paid back the loan with the governments own money. Over $10 billion of taxpayer money has still been lost in the deal.

"The General Motors bailout may have cost the government $10 billion, but GM CEO Dan Akerson rejects any suggestion that the company should compensate for the losses"

4. Mar 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    The government has no money thats the tax payers money. To Mr. Akerson I say [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. Mar 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    It would be way more cool and possibly less money to import a nice used 70-series Land Cruiser.

6. Mar 24, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    My 2013 Express work van has paint blemishes and the body panels are all goofy in their alignment. I have confidence in the Vortec V8 and the 6 speed auto, but the rest of it seems cheap. I have no plans to replace the Toyota, but I would go with another Toyota if it just had the diesel and more payload. As it is I would be more likely to look at the F150. If only we had an updated Ranger with a diesel.

7. Mar 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    beatupford

beatupford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4x4
    This is the exactly why the pissing match between Toyota and Volkswagen scares the shit out of me. Who cares if you are the world’s largest manufacturer? Make quality products and keep your profit margins high. Don't make shit for the sake of making shit.

I really think the engineering mindset Ford has under Mulally is working for them and they aren't the least bit, publicly anyway, obsessed with making the most cars like Toyota, VW, or GM.

GM was making the most cars prior to the bailout and not only could they not make enough money off them to survive, we now know from all these recalls, they were garbage anyway.

To get back to the topic, the real discussion is whether or not the new ridgeline will take a more traditional approach. If it does, I'll trust Honda over GM and might walk away from Toyota, but that's a lot of ifs given how much I love my truck.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. Mar 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If I had a need for a Diesel pickup, the Colorado would not fit that need.

9. Mar 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    That I might look at. I had a Ranger I drove for 12 years. My nephew drove it another 6, and it's still on the road.
    My Taco is still more trouble free than the Ranger was.

Products Discussed in

To Top