1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice-upgrading susp from spacer lift.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NightProwler, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Alright so I am still kinda learning all the different options for suspension setups. I have been looking at kits and lifts for stock trucks but want to make sure there's nothing special I may or may not need being as its already lifted. I bought my truck how it sits now and it has a spacer/block lift (2.5" I believe). I finally decided to upgrade, mostly because my shocks are about gone. Especially the back ones. I have been looking into the bilstein and either OME or Eibach springs and AAL's. I might consider new leaf packs later down the road, but I dont think I really need them. She's a prerunner so it wont see any serious offroading. I do however go mudding, trail running.. And I see pretty bumpy roads every day and I live on a dirt road that gets nasty from time to time.
    Basically, I just want to upgrade the shocks and springs and get rid of the spacer/block lift, and keep the same height its at now. Tired of the bouncing and rough ride. However, If I have to buy some top plates or extended shackles or other additional items to retain the height then I am willing to sacrifice a little ride quality for that. Either way its gotta be a ton better than what it is now..
    So my thoughts are to get 5100's with new coils for the front. 5100's for the rear and aal's should suffice. But for the back im not sure the aal will be enough to make up for the block lift height. So maybe I need lift shackles w/aal? Maybe even go w/o the aal and keep the blocks on for now and get aal later on. Question is will the shocks fit with just the blocks in rear?
    And for the front what coils would be best for my driving (name brand and model)?
    I do plan to get an offroad bumper for the front and possibly a winch but that probly wont come anytime soon. Kinda the last on my list. I understand they sell kits, ( ) but I dont think i need all that. I do need a brake relocation bracket tho. Or does that price seem about right for having them pre-assembled and whatnot?
    Couldnt I just get a set of 4 bilsteins, coils and a brake relocation bracket and be golden for now? Or should I go ahead and get the aal's with possibly new shackles? Not understanding the rear so much as far as what to upgrade. Or do the aal's produce enough height??

Oh and here's a pic of her. I can take more detailed ones of the setup if need be.
    DSCF1544_zps26314707_dcc98178b703881716089afd756f97b3baed7b21.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Mar 25, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    If you go the route of bilistein's and eibach's, pm me. i have it all in boxes, never installed.

3. Mar 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh another thing to note is I already put on some camburg uca's. My ball joints were gone when I bought it and figured I'd make that upgrade to future proof it. Not that it's gonna affect much in my choices but yeah..
    So anyone got any suggestions? Maybe throw out some links for me on parts?
    Again should I do eibach or ome?
    And do I need to get an aal, or shackles, or both?

4. Mar 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Ok so I discovered the Bilstein 5100 / Eibach Gallery.

Found this kit and am REALLY liking it.
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Ultimate-Tacoma-lift-with-Bilstein-shocks_p_394.html

I want to get the Dakars too but that can wait. So, should I be good with the toytec 2" shackles for the rear?
    Pretty sweet deal with a discount for us. $968.
    Also would I need anything else at all like new top plate? Or brake parts? I would assume I wouldnt need them as its lifted already. I do know that my rear brake line is arched over the leafs as it sits now, and it causes my e brake light to stay on or flash when going over bumps. Not sure if thats whats causing it, not having the relocation kit..??

Products Discussed in

To Top