1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Engineers with their PE? If so, I found myself in a predicament.

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by 1uzrnr, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    1uzrnr

1uzrnr [OP] The NotaRC 4runner :D

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    86 Samurai stockish
    Couple
    So Hawaii state law requires any vehicle that has modifications performed to it shall pass a reconstruction inspection before that vehicle can get a required annual safety inspection.

I have an 86 4runner with a SAS with RUF's, 1uz swap with a taco 5spd, 4-link rear, exo, welded slider, 1 ton axles, 1/2" plate trans mount/crossmember, welded front and rear bumpers, and frame reinforcement plates on the front of the frame and on the link brackets on the frame.

Currently, they say I meet all requirements except the design approval. The design approval is stated as so;

HAR19-134-22 Subchapter 3
    C) A reconstructed vehicle of a design which is not in conformance with the equipment requirements of this chapter shall be approved only after the person desiring approval has:
    1) Submitted design plans and specifications, approved by a registered professional engineer to the director;
    2) Identify the design features which are not in conformity with the requirements of this chapter;
    3) Provide a rationale explaining why the nonconforming design feature will not degrade the safety of operation of the vehicle or subject the vehicle occupants or other persons in the vicinity of the vehicle to additional hazards; and
    4) Obtained documented approval of the vehicle design plans and specifications from the director.

D) Any vehicle owner may submit design plans and specifications for the modification or reconstruction of a vehicle to the director for approval prior to the actual modification or reconstruction fo the vehicle. Approval of the design plans and specifications by the director shall not relieve the vehicle owner from meeting all the requirements of this chapter.

Here is the entire doc if anyone is interested. http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/files/2012/12/HAR19-134.pdf This is stated on page 134-19

The problem is, I am the first person they have required this of and don't know of anyone or of a firm that can handle these requirements. I have called many engineering firms and most of them say they don't do anything with autos. Some say find an ME firm, well they only do HVAC, plumbing, and fire safety. There is no automotive industry here that requires engineers and I haven't found any machine design engineering firms either. I have also asked one of my professors at the UH that has his PE and he said I need to find a ME that is familiar with automobiles. There is one that may be interested, but I'm on spring break right now so I can't get a hold of him.

The fucked part is they have let others with frame mods pass their inspection because they don't normally look at anything except mudflaps and bumper height.

Sooo, any PE's out there want to help a brother out? :D

19-134-22  1.jpg
    19-134-22  2.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg

2. Apr 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    Not a PE or I would offer. ME here that specializes in machine design even.

3. Apr 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    1uzrnr

1uzrnr [OP] The NotaRC 4runner :D

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    86 Samurai stockish
    Couple
    Thanks!

Apparently they have been working on a waiver for people like me, so hopefully that works out and I can keep my 4runner.

Products Discussed in

To Top