1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Prerunner what should I use 4.10 4.56 4.88 gears

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gatillo, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    Gatillo

Gatillo [OP] Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4 Cyl Taco
    K&N Filter/Tube assembly, 2 1/4'' Flow Master Muffler, ECM Chip, Gamburg Racing performance shocks (Front), Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Struts (Rear), Ride Rite Air bags, All American Racing Wheels (Black) on LT285/70R17
    Hello Taco owners,

Because I'm new to this forum, I'll like to receive some knowledgeable advice from you guys that may already ran through what I'm experience far as my rear differential re-gearing is concern. Basicly, what I've going on is that I own a 05 Taco Prerunner with the 4.0 engine. Currently she is seating on 35'' with 6'' Pro Com lift. It was obvious that since I'd installed the lift kit and the tires, I've noticed that my truck gotten a significant drop in RPM's and power (Transmission is still working as it supposed to ) but the loss of power and drag in my drive line is highly noticeable. To resolve this concern, I've came up with the idea of re configuring my rear end from OEM Specs to something higher. Now, I do know that this particular model came from factory with the E-lockers 3:83 gear ratio configuration, but I'll need some of your experience in order for me to upgrade and select the best gear ratio upgrade. My end goals is to maintain my engine to OEM rpm's range and my transmission safe from being overload. Pretty much highway driving. Which gear combination should I used ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    4:56 will put you back to stock. 4:88 will be a little lower, but you will have faster acceleration at the cost of highway mpg. Talk to ECGS for a third. Seems crazy but they beat everyone on price (even shipped from the east coast) and they have a great warranty. They ship you a complete third in a bucket and you send them back your stock third. They are the best in the business. http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-131078-8-tacoma-fj-cruiser-4runner-e-locker-3rd.html

3. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    What he said.

4. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    Gatillo

Gatillo [OP] Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4 Cyl Taco
    K&N Filter/Tube assembly, 2 1/4'' Flow Master Muffler, ECM Chip, Gamburg Racing performance shocks (Front), Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Struts (Rear), Ride Rite Air bags, All American Racing Wheels (Black) on LT285/70R17
    Thanks username, your advice is highly appreciated. I'll go ahead and place an order from ECGS for a whole third assembly. It seems fairly simple, (Knock on wood) to replace just the third assembly in oppose to replacing the Ring and Pinion W/ Master Kit. Thanks again

5. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    It's not lieutenant proof, but it's pretty easy. Jack it up, put jackstands under the axle, then remove four nuts per side and slide the axles out a few inches. Pop the third out and install the new one...done. You are supposed to remove the brake lines but I never do. Be careful not to lay the axles on the seals in the end of the axle housings, they are easy to fuck up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  6. Mar 22, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    Gatillo

Gatillo [OP] Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4 Cyl Taco
    Well if a Lt can do it, whom doesn't ? Lol anyways, so ya, I'd founded a member here and he posted his thread explaining step by step (With pics) the entire process. Which is to me, perhaps relatively simple. Now Username, I'd have this tech question in regards to my transmission that I would like to obtain your opinion before we close. Considering that this truck is equip with an Auto Tranny, could it be that because of the load of my tires and the lift, be one of the contributor factors that during the truck's automatic shift from 2nd to 3rd at verry low throttle take off, be that the tranny ought to vibrate (Like if when you are in the highway and you slide over to where "The wakeup speed bumps" are ) causing it to feel just like it during those two shifting gears. It doesn't happen when you had gave it little more throttle. Its weird tho, I thought may be because of the heavy load on the drive line, is not allowing the the tranny to shift right. Any Thoughts ?

7. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I did start getting more drive line vibrations when I switched to a heavier tire. I am curious If they go away when its time to replace my tires with a more highway friendly set.

8. Mar 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    Gatillo

Gatillo [OP] Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4 Cyl Taco
    So I took my Taco for I drive today and I emphasized more closely on the symptom. Come to find out that it only happens not on 2nd to 3rd gear but it only does it on 5th@1400-1500rmp running below 45mph cruising. So long as she wont drop below 1500 rpm in 5th gear, she is fine. My concern was may be the tranny, so i went go ahead and down shifted to 4th and drove it again and tried to maintained 1200-1500 rpm cruising @40-45 and the symptom completely vanished. Can it be the such load on the tires and that when I'm in 5th gear @ low rpm and speed, causing the transmission to be overload ? Can this problem be resolve when I install the 4.56 third assy. Any thoughts will help

9. Mar 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    xgalvanxgx

xgalvanxgx seymour butts

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    OC (Lake Forest) California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road BlackSandPearl 07 PreRunner
    DTF Race Kit with 2.5 x 10 Kings, DMZ SUA rear with 16" triple bypass Kings, King bumpstops front and rear, 17" KMC RG1 powdered in Matte Bronze with black ring with 37" BFG KO2s, front and rear DTF bumpers, front Fiberwerx glass and Mcneil trophy bedsides, K&N 77 Series Intake, Magnaflow, Pioneer touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub with box and amp. Dyanamat walls, Andres' devil horn emblem, 50" D4 curved LED bar, rear chase light rack (brake, ambers, white lights) Engine brace, deleted inner wheel wells for max up travel. Cab roll rage built into bedcage.
    QUESTION! do you guys recommend 4WheelParts as the best option to regear or are there better places to go? 4WP quoted me for a good 1K.

10. Mar 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    Gatillo

Gatillo [OP] Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4 Cyl Taco
    ECGS is the place to go man... I was astonish with prices and technical help that those guys provided me. Prices are far the best.

11. Mar 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    Vibrations are hard to diagnose over the interweb. Could be your tires are not balanced. Could be a worn carrier bearing or u joint. Chances are regearing will not fix it. It's a truck, not a Cadillac.

12. Mar 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    White Diamond

White Diamond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    this should help

GearRatioTable.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top