1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smoked ground

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by FMF, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Mar 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM
    FMF

FMF [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Chicago Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    SUSPENSION ARB Old Man Emu BP-51 OME Internal Bypass coil overs and rear shocks Suspension ARB Dakar one ton Rear Hi-Lux Leafs EL091 U Bolt Flip Kit Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Spring Daystar Universal Air Bag Cradle Wheelers Front Super Bump Stops SPC Performance Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms All-Pro 4" Steel Braided Brake Lines EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads WHEELS TIRES TRD 16-in Off-Road Beadlock-Style Alloy Wheels Bronze BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 255/85R16 with matching full size spare. ARMOR ARB Deluxe Bull Bar with Quadratec Q9500is Winch with Dyneema Synthetic Rope B.A.M.F Kick Out Rock Sliders PERFORMANCE ARB Safari Snorkel TRD Performance Exhaust System INTERIOR Clazzio Leather Seat Covers LIGHTING ARB IPF 900XS Extreme Driving Lights Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights All interior lighting swapped to LED's AUDIO Front Doors: Rokford Fosgate p1694 6x9 Rokford Fosgate Tweeter P1T-s Back Doors: Rokford Fosgate P16 6 ½ OTHER Custom Martin Truck Bodies Aluminum Flatbed Weather Tech Window Rain Deflectors Bird Dawg Tech Extreme Deck Gadget Mount PrinSu Design Aluminum Roof Rack T6 Aluminum Devil Horn Toyota Emblem Ceramic Window Tint Bushwacker fender flares
    I need some of my fellow tacoma world advice. Today i discovered that the ground wire coming from the alternator had melted off its plastic sheathing from the wire. Has any one ever checked there's to see if its ok? And what would make this happen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 30, 2014 at 1:44 AM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    whoa. Im going to check mine tomorrow

3. Mar 30, 2014 at 1:45 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    I don't think that's ok or normal. The copper looks corroded, I can see the green color in the picture. Corroded wires, or bad connections make higher resistance, impeding flow and raising temperature. it probably heated up, and melted the insulation off. Good thing it didn't ignite something.
    Is that the factory wire and ground location?

4. Mar 30, 2014 at 3:06 AM
    hoenah808

hoenah808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4
    I had this happen to me on my 95 4runner that I had, wasnt the ground tho it was my power wire

5. Mar 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    FMF

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Chicago Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    SUSPENSION ARB Old Man Emu BP-51 OME Internal Bypass coil overs and rear shocks Suspension ARB Dakar one ton Rear Hi-Lux Leafs EL091 U Bolt Flip Kit Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Spring Daystar Universal Air Bag Cradle Wheelers Front Super Bump Stops SPC Performance Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms All-Pro 4" Steel Braided Brake Lines EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads WHEELS TIRES TRD 16-in Off-Road Beadlock-Style Alloy Wheels Bronze BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 255/85R16 with matching full size spare. ARMOR ARB Deluxe Bull Bar with Quadratec Q9500is Winch with Dyneema Synthetic Rope B.A.M.F Kick Out Rock Sliders PERFORMANCE ARB Safari Snorkel TRD Performance Exhaust System INTERIOR Clazzio Leather Seat Covers LIGHTING ARB IPF 900XS Extreme Driving Lights Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights All interior lighting swapped to LED's AUDIO Front Doors: Rokford Fosgate p1694 6x9 Rokford Fosgate Tweeter P1T-s Back Doors: Rokford Fosgate P16 6 ½ OTHER Custom Martin Truck Bodies Aluminum Flatbed Weather Tech Window Rain Deflectors Bird Dawg Tech Extreme Deck Gadget Mount PrinSu Design Aluminum Roof Rack T6 Aluminum Devil Horn Toyota Emblem Ceramic Window Tint Bushwacker fender flares
    It's all factory wire and location, I was replacing the UCAs and Rotha noticed the burnt wire. Guess I will be contacting the dealer. I just hope they don't pull some crap about it being caused from the extra lights or winch.

6. Mar 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    I was interested as well, so just went out and looked at my truck
    . Could it at all be from the extra battery draw??

7. Mar 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    This is mine currently.

I'd get that checked.

I have a winch and dual battery system.

jucc_bb443b5b94aec8fa218710c66a74075b48dd583f.jpg

oxmv_23774b1149013ab50aa60d2d49c00d032cc16361.jpg

8. Mar 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    So you have extra lights and a winch, which are not factory, and you are concerned that Toyota might "pull some crap"? :rolleyes:

While it isn't always normal, any time you add things to a vehicle that increase the expected load, you should always check that the power and ground connections are clean and tight, and that all aftermarket items are properly connected. I am curious how you wired up the winch and lights. Every time I add anything to a customer's vehicle that is not factory I check all connections because additional loads increase current passing through both the power and ground connections.

9. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    FMF

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Chicago Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    After doing a bit of research I think I have figured out what happened. When I had my bumper and winch installed by 4 wheel parts they grounded the winch to the existing factory ground on the fender.

10. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It probably was.

People wire up rigs all the time with #4 and larger power wires, and they forget that all of the current going out the power wire comes back on the ground wire.
    The alternator has to restore to the battery everything that was pulled from it, so it's not ONLY the battery-to-accessory side of the system that may need an upgrade.

It was probably the winch... lights shouldn't have drawn enough to do that, but the alternator would have maxed out running the winch.

11. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    wow that's scary! it's supposed to be grounded to the battery, and maybe a secondary ground to the body

12. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There's your problem.

13. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    kh7nm

kh7nm Stay Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DC 4x4 TX PRO Off Road
    What have you done to your truck lately
    Looks like another bad install from 4wheel parts. :( you should call 4 wheel parts and complain to them. Winches ground suppose to be grounded to the battery terminal. Rookie mistake or never read the instructions.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  14. Mar 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
  15. Mar 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM
    FMF

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Chicago Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
  16. Mar 31, 2014 at 12:46 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
  17. Mar 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    That will do it. Maybe they wanted to recycle your extra copper wire so they just made it to the nearest grounding point...

18. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    jimbo808

jimbo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Debadged, Mbrp cat back turn down, Afe drop in filter, Icon extended travel, Light Racing ucas, Dakars, Icon 2.0 vs monotubes, 285/70r17 goodyear kevlar Mtrs, Morimoto Minis D2S' bhlm with blacked out bowls, Bamf Sliders, pelfrey single hoop front bumper, smittybilt X20 10k, pelfrey ifs skid, pelfrey trans skid, all pro rear with side plates, sway bar removed, front superbumps, Avec 20 inch light bar, rigid flood fogs
    I run a diehard platinum group 31 marine battery, I got a 1500 watt sub amp and 600 watt high amp. There hasn't been any problems, just some voltage drop during bass hits. A cheaper way instead of buying the kit is just buying welding cable(0 gauge), lugs, and a crimper to make the wires yourself. Do the "Big 3" upgrade and if you really think you need a better alt, buy a high output alternator(DC power, Mechman, etc..). I've yet to do the big 3 on my taco, I practically slam my sounds everyday :p.

19. Mar 31, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    jimbo808

jimbo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Debadged, Mbrp cat back turn down, Afe drop in filter, Icon extended travel, Light Racing ucas, Dakars, Icon 2.0 vs monotubes, 285/70r17 goodyear kevlar Mtrs, Morimoto Minis D2S' bhlm with blacked out bowls, Bamf Sliders, pelfrey single hoop front bumper, smittybilt X20 10k, pelfrey ifs skid, pelfrey trans skid, all pro rear with side plates, sway bar removed, front superbumps, Avec 20 inch light bar, rigid flood fogs
    you should the stock door speakers and tweets suck so much lol. i got sound deadened doors with mb quarts in them along with q logic kick panels with mb quarts too. for my sub i got a 4 cube box with Fi car audio BL 15 sub tuned to 32 hz. All powered by sundown audio. i really should do the big 3, just too lazy lol.

20. Mar 31, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    xurusaibobx

xurusaibobx Well-Known Member

Member:
    thats why people that do big car stereos do the BIG 3 upgrade, usually you beef up the ground wires around the engine and frame to battery, 0/1 gauge wiring to key points

Products Discussed in

To Top