1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stranded me.... Won't fire..... JUST BOUGHT IT!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by LFTDJEEP426, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Mar 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    LFTDJEEP426

LFTDJEEP426 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 4x4
    :confused:

1995.5 Tacoma 2.7l 4-cyl 5 speed 4x4 199,XXX miles

A7479A78-D439-4DC6-9FB7-CD621BD5227D-175_bbabc53004aa46ad8190481014db0d06a30d76d1.jpg

Just bought the truck on Saturday and ran great, drove fine, so on and so forth.....

Just took the wife to dinner this evening and ran great on the way to dinner. Left the restaurant and noticed that it was idling a little rough up to the stop light. Took off on green and pulled up to the next light, idling rougher. Green light and it stalls.

Wife makes fun of me for killing it..... I give an excuse of it running rough, she said.

Fired up, took off and pulled in to get gas (it was at 1/4 tank).

Get gas and fire up and it starts running very rough as I took off. Pedaling the throttle to keep it running. Once I get up to speed its fine.

Pull into O'Reilys about 4 blocks down to just grab a couple of things so I thought.

When I pull into the parking space it dies. Go in, buy $4it and come bck out. Fire up, idling rough again, back out, dies.

Crank, crank, crank...... sputter sputter die...... crank crank pedal pedla crank crank...... nothing

No codes, but don't think its getting gas.

Called former owner, said this happened to him a couple of months ago. Said it was a clogged throttle body, very oily.

I pull the intake tube and yes, very greasy inside throttle body and on butterfly. I cleaned it out as best I could with no tools and still no fire.

Recent parts replaced by previous owner:
    1. Fuel pump and sending unit (Had the bed off for paint)
    2. Spark Plugs
    3. Distributor cap
    4. Plug wires
    5. alternator

She's sitting in the O'Reilys paring lot..... gotta get it towed home tomorrow.....

Hope you guys can help or point me in the right direction.....
    (Good thing I convinced my wife that a third toyota truck was a good idea)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Mar 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Fuck that. I don't know about Texas laws, but I belive in Massachusetts that problem is with the seller for so many days from the sale.

3. Mar 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    Check your fuses?? Then dpuble.check all the vacuum lines. Many of the breathers on that engine will be routed back through the intake. The vapors carried in the air contain oil which clog up the throttle body

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Mar 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    LFTDJEEP426

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 4x4
    Checked fuses and the EFI relay (switched with heater relay) and still no start. I don't think its a sensor or fuse related issue because it progressively got works albeit very quickly.

dumbfounded......

5. Mar 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but your PCV could be clogged. The engine might be full of sludge and clogged the PCV, so the oil pressure builds and blows it past the valves into the intake. Just changing the PCV wouldn't do much if the engine is truly sludged. This usually happens when people don't change their oil regularly.

6. Mar 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Sounds like PCV and fuel filter to me.
    I had a fuel filter issue on my '87 'Yota Pickup and it acted as you describe.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  7. Apr 1, 2014 at 3:50 AM
    trded

trded Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD 2WD
    TRD Catback TRD Headers TRD SuperCharger TRD 7th Injector & ECU
    Check the idle air control valve (iac). It may be binding due to a dirty throttle body. I used to see this a lot when I was a Toyota tech.

8. Apr 1, 2014 at 4:09 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    PCV has been oil bombing the intake occasionally it sounds. I would check a couple spark plugs to start.

This would be a good candidate for a last ditch effort by way of Seafoam thru that intake.

No idle at all eventually? IAC slimed possibly.

No codes,,weird.

Sludged up valve stem seals.

Did the thing huff the blue smoke during all this?. Should have looked like you were parked on a blue cloud when it was coughing out and dying. Was the smoke color a heavy black by chance?.

9. Apr 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    LFTDJEEP426

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 4x4
    No smoke whatsoever. I'm going to start with the easy stuff once I get it to the house..... Furstrating to say the least. I'm wondering if the MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) failing could cause this. I just find it hard to believe that a sensor failure would progressively get worse over such a short period of time. I would think that a sensor would either work or fail causing the truck to die all at once rather than go from running to not firing over the course of two re-starts and 2 miles of driving.

10. Apr 1, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    First thing does it have spark? It sounds like lack of fuel to me,possibly your fuel filter is plugged causing lack of fuel flow.

11. Apr 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Sounds like a MAF sensor issue to me. Oh and, :popcorn:

Great looking truck though....

12. Apr 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Truck might still go into limp mode if one sensor is malfunctioning.

I had a carb chevy blazer that had so much sludge in the motor it stopped up the oil drain holes in the head so oil kept getting pumped into the valve covers and the only way it could escape was into the pcv valve and then to the breather. But it smoked really bad when that happened.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  13. Apr 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    Yeah i'd get plugs along with the other stuff.. could fowl them if the gas is bad

14. Apr 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    Clucky

Clucky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    WC to EC back to WC
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 Stock 5 Speed
    & 12 TRD Stock 6 Speed
    Assuming the prior owner did in fact clean the throttle body a couple months ago, there's no way it should be very greasy two months later under normal conditions. If your air filter isn't clogged up or real oily you have to be drawing oil vapors in, may be from the PCV like others mentioned or through one of the other tubing lines. It sounds like that may be one problem, not necessarily the main problem you have now. I'd pull all the plugs to have a look. How many miles did you put on it prior to the problem?

15. Apr 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    LFTDJEEP426

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 4x4
    Well..... heres the latest which isn't much. Got to O'Reilys after work to get it towed. As I was waiting I thought I would check the fuel pressure with their gauge..... Cranked the engine a few times to build pressure, cracked the fitting and fuel came out. Started to loosen the fuel line fitting and after about 1 full turn, the fitting locked up tighter than a drum..... EFF!

Tow truck gets there an hour and 20 minutes later, and as they are hooking the chains up I have to stop them from letting the chains bend/break the steering tie-rods....

Poor thing.....
    42DFBE5B-E391-4263-A1E8-F0479E37ACAC-312_da861f23e3dfb030078c14ded8d385d4702eef3e.jpg

This is some more info I got from the guy I bought the tacoma from:
    Also I read that if some of those Vacuum emissions lines are clogged might give problems. I did not check them or the egr. So my mechanic and I have been doing research and everything that we have found goes back to the oil/carbon build up from the EGR and PCV. If those vacuum lines are clogged you won't get proper air fuel mix. We had already tested a lot of those sensors, MAS, O2, IAC. (Not saying that it couldn't be one, just no codes and the way it died) and if there is a lot of carbon in the tail pipe? Running to rich.

Shortly after that year model they deleted the EGR.
    Sounds like you might have to pull that T-body off and the EGR and clean in between them and the airline.
    If that (Valvoline High Mileage) oil stop leak has built up in those lines and cooled off. That is the most likely culprit.

First I heard of the stop leak..... don't like that. I'm leaning more towards fowled plugs with the oil crap. Tomorrow I'm planning on changing the plugs, got a fuel filter sourced (its in a pain in the @$$ spot BTW) and I'm going to have to cut the fuel line and get a flare/fitting tool to put a new fitting on there. Its the fuel feed line from that canister over the driver fender.

Keep the opinions coming guys, I truly appreciate all of them! :pccoffee:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  16. Apr 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    LFTDJEEP426

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 4x4
    I probably drove it 45 miles before the issue arose.

17. Apr 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    So did you check the PCV stuff yet? If it rattles when you shake it it's good.

18. Apr 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    High Mileage stop leak is the oil as per the text,, not a additive per say. Premixed.

Bummer.

Very carefully try to work that fitting tight again. High pressure fuel spraying all around is never good.

So the previous owner threw some High Mileage in there to do what?. cover up a existing problem? Now it has created one,,as it sits.

Bummer again.

Never fear,,TW is here.

19. Apr 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    LFTDJEEP426

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 4x4
    Ya, the oil pan gasket leaks at the bell housing. That was first on my list of things to do until this happened.

As far as the fitting goes, I'm 99% sure I'll have to cut-n-replace it..... PITA

What kind of fuel pressure does this system run off of?

I'm going to drain the oil and go with my stand by of Royal Purple and see how much more it leaks. (assuming I get the thing running soon)

I wonder if the mileage mix crud might be a part of this gumming up issue. I'll probably buy 50' of vacuum hose along with PCV and Fuel filter to start after the plugs.

turns out, I bought a project..... sure need another one of those.....

Do you guys know of a website that I can get part numbers from a microfiche?

20. Apr 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    That would suck for the seller if the buyer were to run the shit out of it.

OP is the throttle body oily? Or more of a black soot?

Products Discussed in

To Top