1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Floppy shifter dampener "fix"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by metalpeddler88, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    metalpeddler88

metalpeddler88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    I figured I would share this, in case it helps someone else. Plus, I am bored right now. :p

To start, I drive a 6 speed manual. For the past month or so, it seemed like my shift lever would get floppy, then somehow "fix itself". It was strange, so I naturally blamed the old shift ball seat. I ordered one of the white Delrin ball seats from Marlin Crawler, and proceeded to install it. When I took out the shift lever, I noticed that the rubber ball seat still looked fine, but the ball socket was way out of whack.

[​IMG]

I luckily had a replacement one from another shift lever, so I was able to replace that right away. Even though the old ball seat appeared to be fine, I installed the new one anyway. Why not, I had it. Before I reinstalled everything, I noticed the rubber vibration dampener on/in the shift lever was loose. Looking online, there were only a few solutions. I didn't want to take it apart to re-epoxy. I didn't want to weld it. I didn't want to send it off. And I certainly didn't want to spend $150 or more to replace it. So, I came up with a "temporary" solution. I only say temporary because this is not the most conventional means to fix something, and I am not sure how long it'll last.

I started by finding my Hi-Temp Red Silicone (others may work fine too, this is all I had). I started spreading it, trying to push it into the grooves of the dampener. Then I grabbed a box of finish nails. Yes I am crazy. :D I pushed nails into the gaps between the 2 parts of the shifter, and kept filling it up until the wiggle felt more sturdy. Once I got done with that, I added more silicone around it to help "seal it up".

[​IMG]
    Forgive me for the blurry picture, I didn't realize until after I reinstalled the shifter, and after I uploaded to my computer.

After letting it dry for an hour, I reinstalled everything. Since the silicone takes 24 hours to cure, I only did a few "test shifts", and initial impressions was it was a vast improvement. No more floppy shifter. I can't say if it was the ball seat, socket, or the "fix" for the dampener that made such a huge difference, so I'll say all 3. When I drive more after this, I'll post my final say. If I had to put a "cost to fix" for the dampener, I would say under $10, but since I had everything already, it was free.

Eventually, I will replace the shifter, but I am not about to spend that much money yet. Perhaps when I get a short throw shifter. :)

2. Apr 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    metalpeddler88

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    It's only been a day, but I figured I'd give an update. ;)

The shifter feels great. A much more "defined" shift than I had before. As for vibrations, there is minimal. It is just as I would expect/have had in my other stickshift cars. Now the next test, how long will it last. But for now, I am happy! :D

3. Apr 24, 2014 at 5:07 AM
    metalpeddler88

Member:
    Barrow County, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black X-Runner
    Well, here's more of an update for anyone looking here.

I ended up installing a URD short shifter kit, and used this shifter instead of a new one. Within a week, it is loose again. I'm not entirely sure how long it would have lasted without the short shifter kit, but nonetheless, attempt one to fix is was a failure. :( Onto attempt 2.

Next attempt is just making it more of a permanent solution, instead of a temporary "fix". I'm going to drill out some holes at different points on the shifter, and push a 1/4" rod through. Break out the welder, and start spot welding each end. :eek: Yes, I am aware of the rubber, and now silicone, and I do not care. A metal rod is $3, and a new shifter from Toyota is $150, what would you do?

I was enjoying the new feel, and now it's gone again, so I am impatient and want it back. I do feel a little dumb trying something stupid, and it didn't work out. But hey, it's all learning experience. That, and you guys now get a little laugh. :eek:

4. Apr 24, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Delrin is an awesome thing

Products Discussed in

To Top