1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport Wheels Chipping - Headed to Dealer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by colbyrainey, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    colbyrainey

colbyrainey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    KC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Dbl TRD Sport
    TSB Leafs, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", K&N Filter, Kenwood DNX 6180, BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror Bracket, Extra D-Rings, Gloss Black Stock Wheels, Grillcraft Grille
    They said something along the lines of it not rely being covered under warranty on the invoice...that it was more for customer relations then anything else? IDK didn't ask questions.

2. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Not to hijack, but does anyone know if this is occurring on Off Road wheels as well? :confused:

Edit: Although mine are Plasti Dipped.

3. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    Hope the dealer does something for you. I bought a set of sport wheels that had that on the back but the faces were immaculate....its a damn shame....and i didn't want to strip/sand them and powder coat them so i sold them.

I've see the off road alloy 16s actually chipping paint and coating off all in one.... :(

I'm going aftermarket next time i buy wheels.

4. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    my wheels did the same thing and the dealer basicly said in a nice why to f off

5. Jan 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    rainmn

rainmn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another issue that Toyota has had for years now.

I owned a 2003 GX470 that did the same thing.

Same with 5 or 6 other people that I know who all own either a GX470, a Tacoma, or a 4Runner....all of them have the corrosion.

I also looked at a few used Tacomas before purchasing mine new....every one of them had the same issue on the wheels.

6. Jan 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    It took 2 years for my 2007 Tacoma Sport wheels to develop the same problem. Dealer refinished them. Another 2 years later, the clear coat of the refinished wheels started peeling off. The base metal of the wheels were also starting to show signs of the bubbling crap under the base coat paint.

I now have a 2014 Sport. Love the truck; like the wheels. I am, however, already planning to have to replace the wheels in 2 years.

7. Jan 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    wjpjr

wjpjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Nashville Tn
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Bet I can make it stick !!

8. Jan 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Maybe this is Toyota's way of getting us to rotate our tires.:confused:

9. Apr 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    colbyrainey

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    KC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Dbl TRD Sport
    TSB Leafs, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", K&N Filter, Kenwood DNX 6180, BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror Bracket, Extra D-Rings, Gloss Black Stock Wheels, Grillcraft Grille
    UPDATE:

I took the truck to Toyota to have the wheels refinished under warranty as i described in this thread. I got it back from them and they spray bombed the entire wheel WHILE THEY WERE STILL ON THE TRUCK.

Turns out there was overspray all over my calipers, drums, and even a little on the tires. Not to mention the fact that it looked like shit being a dull silver everywhere.

I read on the invoice they gave me that stated something to the effect "completed for customer relations only, not completed under warranty". :facepalm:

I'm gonna have to take the wheels off when I do brake pads and i'll probably paint the calipers and drums black when I do that or the next time I rotate the tires.

Anyway, just thought I would share my discontent with the dealer in this thread.

I decided to take things into my own hands and paint them gloss black. Turned out much better than the dealer...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Apr 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    tasnowma

tasnowma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    MA
    Vehicle:
    06’ DCSB SPORT. 16’ DCLB SPORT. 14’ DCLB SPORT
    Premium tech package with JBL, 2" Rough Country lift, 265/70/17 BFG Rugged Terrains, AVS in-channel rain guards, all weather floor mats, bed mat...
    damn those look sick. what kind of paint did you use?

11. Apr 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    slodc4

slodc4 Conceal Carry

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Winterville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Locked 17 trd sport
    Do not use wheel cleaner...its too harsh and will result in this. I only use car wash soap now

12. Apr 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    colbyrainey

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    KC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Dbl TRD Sport
    Thanks!

I used gloss black krylon fusion
    Here's what I did:

1. Remove wheels (duh)
    2. Remove center caps from wheels
    3. Remove Toyota emblems from centercaps
    4. Scuff everything up with scotch brite. I was really meticulous and it took me about 2 hours or so.
    5. Clean them off really well with compressed air and then Windex
    6. Mask off the valve stem with masking tape
    7. Mask off wheel from tire by wedging playing cards in between

Yeah all I've ever done is hand wash this truck and never use anything but car wash soap really. Especially now that its a painted surface.

13. Apr 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    My TRD OffRoad did it and they refinished them, didn't last long and correct, they don't even take them off the truck. I had a Chevy S10 Blazer that did it, they were stripped and refinished, they looked like hell, almost like the metal was burnt, they eventually replaced them. I always have my lead wheel weight removed and put on the inside, that wouldn't have helped you where that corrosion is.

Its a shame, clear powder coat is tough as nails, that surely isn't what's on these wheels.

Products Discussed in

To Top