1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Just my 2 cents when I had my Dakars. If you get one with the + and one with the -
    The + side gives a little more lift and should be put on the drivers side (heavier from gas tank etc, taco lean)
    This is what I was told by them.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the extra lift or not but there you go.

2. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

True , but that's outside of what we are talking about with respect to Gincoma's Dakars and he posted his were both " + "

3. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Did you quote the wrong reply? I said it was an innuendo since the original poster used the term bushwacking when responding to a female which I thought was funny.

Edit: yes I have a childish sense of humor :D

4. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

The more I think about this , you state that there " is a right and wrong way " to install the Dakars due to the overload arching but then state you removed your top overloads , so if that is the case , does your truck have a 1 1/2" difference in ride height like Gincoma's when his were installed " the wrong way " ?

Or do you mean his upper overload was installed into the pack upside down ?

5. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    yeah I prob quoted the wrong one lol

6. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    speedwhacken,trim thinner,bushwackin all the same and all done with a tacoma & a razor

7. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4

ohhhhhhhhhhhh gotcha....well in that case I got nothing. Just seems like it would give a little more lift in the back than most (maybe 1/4) but should be about the same on both sides...idk goodluck

8. Apr 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    This ^

When I removed my top overloads the rear dropped approximately 1", likely a bit more.

As far as whether or not the overload was inserted wrong or is flawed producing more lift, from my personal experience with the packs I think it’s plausible. But yeah the difference in height is a bit drastic so it could be that his measurement was not completely accurate.

9. Apr 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

:thumbsup:

10. Apr 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    scollins

scollins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F450 STX 6.7L Powerstroke
    Picking up my OMETAC05LK kit on Monday, woohoo!! I've got the collars for the center pins already, but I haven't picked up extended brake lines yet (rear only, or should I do fronts too?)

The only other parts I was thinking of getting are some new strut mounts for the front:
    KYB strut mounts

Also still debating on UCAs. I do want them, but might have to hold off for a few months to let the "fun money" balance recuperate. Had some unexpected ammo expenses recently that I wasn't planning on.....

11. Apr 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    NCTacoma

NCTacoma Rather be in the mtns

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    CLT, NC
    Vehicle:
    Sold- Searching for 1st gen
    :D:D
    I seem to have that problem too.

12. Apr 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    NCTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    CLT, NC
    Vehicle:
    How bad are 886's with no bumper? I have a set of coil overs already set up and am planning on a bumper but it might be awhile. I've heard it's rough? Unbearably rough or just rougher than stock?

13. Apr 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I have 886's with only sliders. The ride is a lot rougher stock, but not unbearable. It does make me want to spend a few hundred on skid plates to add weight until I get a plate bumper and winch though.

Right now the truck handles big bumps or impacts beautifully; it's the smaller bumps, especially at low speeds, that seem to jar the whole truck.

14. Apr 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

So , it's been 3 days , did they get back to you with anything ?

15. Apr 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    AKTacoParty

AKTacoParty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Astoria, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    885s, Dakars, Bilsteins, Allpro Sliders, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Wheelers Ubolt flip, super bumps, RCI front skid
    Does anybody have any preference between 5100's or nitrochargers? Do you get more travel with one over the other one? Ride quality any different between the 2? Thanks

16. Apr 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.

Yeah, I never experienced that setup without my sliders on. 100-200 lbs of weight in the front of the bed would certainly help the ride.

17. Apr 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    NCTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    CLT, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks bud.

I never thought of that. Makes sense though. Thanks to the both of you for your input.

18. Apr 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    AiNoFaKNKeA

AiNoFaKNKeA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport DCSB
    885's w/ 1/2" spacers on OME Sport Nitros OME Dakars w/ Sport Nitros & D29XL AAL 285/65 BFG AT KOs on 18" Dropstars 645B 0 Offset 4.5" BS Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers LED Interior and Exterior 6K HID Headlamps and Fogs 6K LED DRL Switchbacks Pop and Lock Codeable Smart Lock Tailgate Handle Debadged Wet Okole's Front and Rear Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners Husky Liners Custom Molded Mud Guards Tint AMP Research Bed Step AMP Research Bed Extender ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket Viper Alarm ICE: Alpine PDX-V9 Audio Control LC6i Image Dynamics CTX65CS Image Dynamics CTX65 Image Dynamics IDQ12 KnoKnoise Sound Deadening
    Anyone know what vendors carry the sway bar relocate kit and who has better quality to value?

19. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Toytec

20. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    So I'm ready to pull the trigger on an OME setup. Just a couple quick questions.

1. Wheelers advised since I have a new leaf pack (3+1) and do a fair amount of towing from spring through fall, I should go with their 3 leaf HD progressive add-a-leaf out back. Anyone have experience with this setup (planning on no spacers right now, only 2.5" of lift up front running stock uca's)? Does this leaf pack need new ubolts? If so, is it included? Would I be pretty level (a little rake I wouldn't mind)?

2. What is included with the shock assembly charge? Only the springs? If so, I'd feel comfortable using the method posted numerous places here using the weight of the truck and a jack to accomplish this. Or is it bushings as well that may be harder for the average garage mechanic to do?

To Top