1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about trading the Access cab for regular cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xxaarraa, May 17, 2011.

1. May 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Yes, like that! It sucks that they're so hard to find. If they still have it you should check it out.

2. May 23, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    When my '99 was bought back because of the frame rust, I went with a '10 regular cab because I love the looks. Still love it. I got the 5 speed and it's a good combination with the 4 cylinder. It'll get up and go if you lay into it.

3. May 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    They did still have it & now they don't................because I do!

4. May 25, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hahaha :) congratulations are in order!! Glad you got what you wanted.

5. May 25, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, still kinda weirded out by giving up the crazy truck for the practical sane version.....we'll see how that goes. I did get to play chop shop for a day and get piles of stuff off the old one as was discussed up front with the dealership. :D You know, all the extra stuff they don't pay you for anyway.

6. May 25, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's a smart move. I will negotiate them swapping over my extras as part of any deal I make. I have over $2.5k in extras and it would take a very long time to swap all over by myself!

Enjoy the truck, keep us posted on real-world MPG increases.

7. May 25, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, I just didn't want to play games and pay extra for them to swap over my 5100s and LR UCAs, black rr bumper & the grill/headlights. That I do regret somewhat but I am not lifting the new one more than just doing Toytec 1/4" taco lean spacers on both sides to level it up about 1/2" up front. I have some low mileage TRD bilsteins I'll replace the Tokicos with that are on it. They started wanting to give less on the trade in after a certain point of keeping stuff and asking if I really wanted to get rid of my 05. I said no, I want them both, lol.

I just filled it up and put a dose of Lucas top end lube/inj cleaner in the tank so after that tank runs on thru I'll start checking mpg. Also need to pull the charcoal filter from the air intake. Washed and put the aFe dry flow in that I kept from other truck. Also have put in my wet okoles, Grom audio usb adapter, bed mat, pop n lock, gatekeeper tailgate theft preventer, factory cruise control, weathertech floor mats.....so far. Still have spare tire lock, light bar, Hellas, HID fogs/factory switches to do. Not sure about TRD skid and a few other things. Not sure whether to do black revtec oem headlights or gen 2 halos or just leave the chrome ones to go with wheels,grill & back bumper etc etc etc. :D Got to tint windows and trim front mudflaps soon.

8. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Here's how it played out.............so far

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    I had a 2010 4x4 SR5 5-speed Access Cab with the 2.7. I live at 9,500'. I only use the truck to play and daily commute. I never tow or carry loads greater than 350 lbs. I felt that truck was underpowered so I upgraded.

I now have a 2013 4x4 TRD OR Auto Access Cab with the 4.0. I feel this truck has enough power, with some in reserves if needed.

Lack of power was the main reason I switched. I also felt like I was always in-between 1st and 2nd gear when driving around town etc. The automatic tranny has made those thoughts disappear.

I have been considering a Regular Cab since the day I bought my 2010. I like the looks/proportions better. I like the smaller wheelbase/turning radius. I like the idea of better mpg. I have never used the "backseats" of my access cabs. I have never even reclined either front seat enough to need the extra space. I like the e-locker/a-trac etc of my TRD, but the noises they make scare the shit out of me. All I really need is 4x4 Hi/Low.

I really really want to get a Regular cab but fear the 2.7 will be underpowered. I drive quite slow/cautiously for the most part. But I live in the rockies, drive steep long grades daily, and have already seen what the 2.7 can and can't do up here (in an access cab).

I guess I am just trying to find out what people think about the strength to weight ratios, and if the regular cab 2.7 will be noticeably stronger than the access cab 2.7 ???

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I don't think you'll be happy with a 4x4 Reg cab 2.7 living in the mountains. I have driven my V6 extra cab over the Rockies and had to lean on it pretty hard to keep up with traffic.

For the last three years I have driven a 2009 2WD, non prerunner 2.7 5speed as a work truck. It has a high top aluminum shell and is loaded with tools and small parts. Probably 800 pounds, plus me. Outside of town I have a 7% grade that is 2.5 miles long. We are at sea level. To maintain 70MPH up that grade requires 3rd gear, 4,400RPM. It will do it, but it's working hard.

In January I was issued a brand new 2014 Regular cab 2.7, automatic, also a 2WD, non prerunner. Setup exactly the same, on the same hill, the new truck requires 2nd gear in the 4 speed automatic trans to maintain 70MPH. The gearing is different than the 2009, 70MPH is 5,000 RPM. Again, it will do it, but I feel I am pushing it too hard and usually only run 60MPH up the hill now.

A 4x4 regular cab is probably going to be fairly comparable to my work trucks as far as power, I think, once you add in heavier tires. I can't see how you'd be happy driving long grades with that everyday. I don't really think it would hurt the truck, they are clearly designed to spin that fast, just wonder about the longevity if you kept it past 100K.

11. Apr 7, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I went from 05 AC 2.7 to 08 RC 2.7, both being 5 spd prerunners. The mileage and pwr are definitely better with the RC for me but I don't live in the Rockies and have long steep grades to deal with on regular basis either. Overall, I am much happier with th RC vs. the AC.

12. Apr 7, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    I've had my2013 reg cab for about 9 months now. It has the bench seat which I hated at first, but I've gotten used to it. Now it's not an issue. The manual transmission is the sloppiest, clunkiest manual I've ever driven (I have owned seven and driven many more),but it's a truck and now that I'm used to it I like it.
    Having said that, I wouldn't trade it for an access cab, auto trans with bucket seats if I found one with the same mileage for a straight up swap.
    I love my reg cab. You don't see that many around and they just have a tough look about them. Also, even though the RCs are all base models you still get a touchscreen, bluetooth stereo.
    http://image_zps9ec0e97c_eda56df52558f58472ac9e349311e4f8fe2c0870.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top