1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need ideas to attach back rack without bed rail mount

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pidro_el_pirata, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I want to install a simple back rack / headache rack but I don't want to drill holes into my bed rails. My SR5 does not have any post holes in the corners nor a track system to utilize, and I would like to keep it that way. Has anyone ever done something with feet that sat in the bed and/or mounted into the tie down points at the front of the bed? I am considering making a custom rack that would bolt in place of the anchor points using the same Toyota bolts.

Goal is to take the weight of this kayak off my roof because after only 2 trips I've already scratched the paint :-( Currently resting on towel with straps through the kayak into the bed tie downs, but the towel tends to shift, especially in windy conditions at the beach here.

I don't want a big rack, just a simple single bar that runs at the height of the cab. I also like having the option to mount a flood light to use when camping.

3epe4udu_24d4a3f0338e4533d0206c5b618b958e60d4b27a.jpg

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Cheap, quick and ugly would be a simple PVC hoop just above the cab 3-4" lashed to each corner tie down point. 3" tube seems like it would get the job done,,maybe thicker if you feel the need.

Some cutting with a hacksaw, a bit of pvc glue, a couple 90° elbows,, done. Easy to remove to utilize the full bed then if needed. Stick each leg down in to a open cavity cinder block, then lash each leg to the tie down.

Since you already have mounting holes drilled and threaded into the bed (corner tie downs). You could use those as a more sturdy point of attachment for a better roll bar type setup.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Apr 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    pidro_el_pirata

Member:
    Lol! As much as i like the removable concept, I'm not looking for something that may snap apart on the freeway. We will be taking the kayak to Yosemite later this year (cruise @ 80 mph on interstate 5).

I will explore the option but that sounds flimsy to me...

4. Apr 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    I've thought about welding in some bed stakes but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

5. Apr 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    thebeave

thebeave Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Pre-Runner 3.4L
    I'm in a similar bind, except I need something to occassionally transport a few 2x4's, PVC pipes, ladders, etc. I don't really want to permanently mount a heavy, expensive truck lumber rack due to the mileage hit.

Been thinking about getting this as an alternative. Might work in your situation as well:

CabRack

6. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

Member:
    Not much better than the towel i have. Something similar that I was considering is these soft padded supports that strap through the door. The advantage is total access to the bed since your load is not resting at the base of the tailgate any more. Ideal to take my kayak camping and load/unload the bed without removing the kayak.

[​IMG]

7. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    travelfeet

travelfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Troy, NY
    Vehicle:
    02 xtra 4x4 v6
    I drilled holes in my bed rails for my in-process rack, but while working things out I also explored clamping a rack to the bed rails. Though I went in a different direction, consider how a rear cap is held on, a few c-clamps with perhaps a spacer to take up some of the space under the rail could hold your rack to the top of the rail pretty well.

I'd suggest some sort of a front edge or tabs that would overhang into the space between the bed and cab, other wise you'd be relying on friction only to hold your rack in place. I'm not sure what materials would work best as there is still a lot of risk of scratching, especially between the bed and cab if the bed moves around. A piece of angle iron over the front lip, welded to some sort side rails is where I would start. Then a A-frame on each side connected with a top cross bar.

This is more or less what I have made, but instead of clamps I drilled the rail and bolted everything in place. If I haven't explained it well, I can get a pic or 2 tomorrow.

Oh, I think I see a drop in bed liner... that might be a deal breaker for clamping to the rail, unless you want to cut holes in it to get under the rail. The problem I see is that you need 2 points of contact to hold a vertical frame in place. i would not trust holding a rack in place by the tie downs only. Regardless of how you did that I think there would be too much leverage at the top of the rack to keep it secure.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Apr 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

Member:
    I can tell you have thought this out. I was considering just a simple unistrut rack (cross bar attached to verticals with feet in the bed) with tie downs holding in place, so it's good to hear a second opinion confirming my concerns about the leverage involved with an 80 lb kayak at highway speeds.

I don't mind cutting into the liner, have already done this several places. I picked it up used for $20 lol

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  9. Apr 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    Why not buy a headache rack and use canopy clamps?

10. Apr 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    pidro_el_pirata

Member:
  11. Apr 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    I'm making a sawhorse for the back mount and using a foam board for the front. Will post pics. I've also thought about a headache rack but I doubt I'll ever get around to it

Products Discussed in

To Top