1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mounting Through Bottom of Bed - Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zk6760, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    zk6760

zk6760 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Hi TW

I am looking to put an anchor in my bed to loop some heavy duty chain through so I can securely lock items.

Does anyone know the locations of the bed that can be easily accessed from underneath so I can tight the bolts down?

Or does anyone have a hardware solution that wouldnt require me getting to the other side AND cannot be removed from the top?

If possible I would like the anchor to be off to a side somewhere so it doesn't get in the way.

Thanks
    zk

2. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What about just using the bed bolts and throw a d-ring on one of them? I know you can still get to them from the top but you need a pretty good sized torx bit to do so. If you really don't want the bolt coming out, you could always use thread locker.

Another option, and the option I used, was to widen out one of the front drain holes and put a bolt through it. It's a PITA to get to on the underside but doable. I used a backer plate on the bottom side so it couldn't pull through. I suppose you could use a carraige bolt so it couldn't be taken out from the top side.

3. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    Jhodgman

Jhodgman ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 DCLB tacoma V6 TRD Sport
    5100 Bilstiens set at 1.75, progressive leaf pack, BFGs, All-Pro rear Bumper(white), Storm troopered out
    I didnt anchor anything to my bed but I have drilled to make the drain holes wider, IMO those tope corners are gonne be the most secure and out of the way, a regular drill gun will do the trick with some time and make sure you wear long sleeves and gloves since it is partly fiberglass.

Good luck

4. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    I actually have D-Rings on all of the bed bolts currently. My issue is the through-hardened chain I have doesn't fit through the OEM D Rings. The other issue is that why have a through-hardened chain if you could easily cut through the D-Ring.

I have yet to find a case-hardened anchor that only requires one mounting bolt - most of them use 4 (1 in each corner). I'm hoping I can bolt it down in a corner somewhere (or maybe one of the open storage boxes?)

5. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    So I tried looking under my truck the other day and there is a lot of stuff going on.. none of it really looks like the bed composite.

Do the holes that you drilled look straight down to the ground AND do you know if I could easily get in there to tighten and threadlock the bolt/nuts?

6. Apr 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    I know you may be asking a legitimate question here, but I can't help wondering why you need others to do this? Go climb under your truck and look. Pull out your jack , and your spare tire, and look around. The bed is either 5x5 or 5x6 and there is a gap between the frame and the bed between mounting points. If you want security, then I suggest you don't put a big nut on the bottom than can be loosened. Tack Weld it if you can.

7. Apr 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    I agree with you, but I took a fast look under there the other day (by the front corners where I'd like to mount this) and nothing stood out to me as "this is the bed" - I'm not very good with working on the truck yet. I'll take another look tonight as I have some time.

Beyond that I'm just looking for ideas on hardware to use and if anyone has better ideas on location.

8. Apr 7, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    My opinion is I would not worry about through hardened this or that. Your mounting to a composite bed. If someone wants what you're storing back there, they're going to get it. The best you can do is deter the average opportunist who is looking for a snatch and go easy haul. The bed bolts are already in place, and getting some robust d rings shouldn't be too hard. Plus.. less holes drilled in the bed if you move to a different option later on. If you do go through new holes, don't forget to put some nice backing plates to distribute the load for the mounts.

9. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    I hear ya. I'm actually trying to lock up mountain bikes back here. Mine alone is $4500.. throw in a couple other friends/etc bikes and we're talking decent money. Yes, insurance will cover it, but if I can spend a couple hundred on a decent way to deter 99% of bike thieves - I will.

The issue I have with the D-Rings is that most thieves do carry bolt cutters, which will take out most D-Rings that I've found. Since I already have this ridiculous chain, I figured I may as well go one more step and making these guys cut a chunk out of my bed if they want the bikes.

However.. this is proving difficult. I may end up having to see if I can get some bigger D Rings and call it a day, but I am still open to ideas as I have time before the next trip.

And - thanks for all the replies. I can wrench a bike, but don't know a ton on mounting hardware and what options I have there.

10. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I had the bike carrier shown below at one point (sold because I no longer needed it). An added benefit once I recieved it is that I was able to put padlocks on applicable parts. Essentially the hook secures the top tube and the bike can't be removed because it's locked in at the wheels as well. It is a really good design. I was comfortable using it in a large metropolitan area.

(add a large cable through the frame of the bike for additional security if you feel it is necessary)

[​IMG]

11. Apr 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Jhodgman

Jhodgman ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 DCLB tacoma V6 TRD Sport
    5100 Bilstiens set at 1.75, progressive leaf pack, BFGs, All-Pro rear Bumper(white), Storm troopered out
    You should be able to see day light when you look under the bed. it is almost a straight shot from the frame up to the drain holes. Its should be pretty easy to tighten a bolt in those corners. If you cant locate it just drop a string down the hole an let it hang, should make it really easy to see.

PS the drain holes are only at the front of the bed not the rear. for those you will need to just pick a spot that looks good.

12. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Good call - I was actually able to spot them last night from underneath.

I'm in the position where I need to debate whether or not mounting a 5x5" anchor is really going to be worth the time and trouble or whether or not I can find a larger D ring (to fit a ~2" wide chain) through. If I can find one that is made of better-than-home-depot grade steel that should be OK for my purposes.

I grew up in California so security is something I take to the heart. Lock down the castle, lock down the truck, and secure the cargo!

13. Apr 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Put some sort of solid ring or clevis under a bed bolt. Bolt the bed back down, then fill the bolt head with solder.

14. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Do you have any examples you can provide?

I'm not finding much that 1) has a single bolt that holds the anchor/mount down and 2) will fit a 2" diameter chain through it.

15. Apr 9, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
  16. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!