1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fully caged ridin' FOX shocks; heres how she got there;) (my build)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ComaRyder1, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    ComaRyder1

ComaRyder1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 4x4 5speed caged FOX shocks
    2.5" bypass remote resevoir FOX shocks(front), caged(almost done) stage 3 clutch, cold air intake, flowmaster dump, 33x12.5 BFG A/T tires, 15x10" american racing rims, touchscreen dvd player with gps, 2 12" subs with 1000 watt amp n capacitor
    So heres the story of my build and all the pics along the way. Her name is "yotabang3r" and she is a 2000 tacoma extended cab, v6, 4x4, 5speed, TRD, caged front to back(under construction right now), FOX 2.5" remote serevoir bypass shocks, BFG A/T 33x12.5" tires, american racing 15x10" rims, cold air intake, flow master dump, jensen GPS/DVD, 2 pioneer 12's with 1000watt amp and capacitor, and some other stuff that i forgot to list...

heres a pic of my chick leaning on my truck when she was all stock about 2 months ago. all i had on it was a 2" leveling kit.

[​IMG]

i totalled my last prerunner silverado last year, fixed it and sold it. i bought this tacoma and left it stock for about 6 months until i was ready to do everything at once.

first mod i did was remove the front bumper and cut the frame down. when making the cuts i appropriated the angle to allow me to weld the length of the square tubing bumper mount to the frame, rather than just the 1 3/4" square end. doing this allowed me to apply about 12" of bead to attatch the bumper mount to the frame(on each side), instead of welding the end of the pipe to the frame and only having about 4 inches of weld holding it on.

[​IMG]

a couple days after building the bumper, i recieved the 15x10" american racing rims i ordered on Amazon for $458. so i went and bought some BFG A/
    t tires (33x12.5) for about $900

[​IMG]

once i built the basic skeleton of the bumper and everything was nice, straight, semetrical, and perfect on either side, i cut out a diamond plate sheetmetal skid plate and bought some cheep lights at walmart just to fill the void in the lighting area

[​IMG]

next i wired the lights and painted it with some Rustoleom "hammered steel" grey textured paint.

[​IMG]

whoo hoo that was fun! next, meet our shop mascott. hes about 5 feet tall and his name is Emi. we chase him around the backyard when cutting bending and welding $h!t all day gets old.

[​IMG]

couple days later i drew up this blueprint to give me an idea of how i was going to start my cage. i needed to make a back bumper to match the front and decided that the bed was the best place to start caging my truck.

[​IMG]

so the following weekend i cut the bottom of the bed put to g ive me access to the frame and drilled the first 2 of 6 holes in the cab with a 2" hole saw bit. this allowed me to get the angle i needed to run the top 2 steel tubes into the cab, clearing the inch thinck headliner and the back window.

[​IMG]

finally it rains here in vegas, so i take the truck mobbin for the first time in months. this hill was alot steeper then it looks, this pic does it zero justice

[​IMG]

all mudded up.. yea thats what im talkin bout

[​IMG]

so a couple days later im at work just looking online at stuff for the truck talking about how im on such a budget because i just bought a bunch of tools and steal and stuff, and i go and drop $1500 on 2 FOX 2.5" remote resevoir coilovers for the front of my truck. i pop the wheels off and slip the new shocks on, while also replacing all the sway bar bushings and stuff

[​IMG]

BAM! these made the biggest difference in performance over any investment ive made so far. i used to be somewhat slow and cautious when entering a trail in my truck, now i just pull off into the dirt and floor it. i still have to do the back though because it doesnt keep up with the front at all.

this past weekend i ran out of steel so i only got a few more bars welded into place.

[​IMG]

no gas for the welder either, so it was all done FCAW (flux core)

[​IMG].

and thats all ive got so far in the last 2 months. i work and go to school full time (for welding) so i only get to work on my truck every sunday. i will be wrapping up the bed cage this weekend and hopefully ordering a fuel cell, so ill be sure to post more pics of the progress by monday.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Apr 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
  3. Apr 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    muddedtaco

muddedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Rattle caned black, Mossy oak door panels, shifter shroud, and radio cluster surround
    Nice truck.

4. Apr 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
    JuansTaco

JuansTaco JuanInAMillion

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    gilbert az
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner SR5 stormtrooper
    ESB long travel kit, Deaver f67s with DTF 12 inch shackles.
    was this your old silverado? my buddy recently got one from vegas
    [​IMG]

5. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    Subbed! The bed cage looks sweet, and I love deep dish rims :drool:

6. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    ComaRyder1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2.5" bypass remote resevoir FOX shocks(front), caged(almost done) stage 3 clutch, cold air intake, flowmaster dump, 33x12.5 BFG A/T tires, 15x10" american racing rims, touchscreen dvd player with gps, 2 12" subs with 1000 watt amp n capacitor
    hahaaaa no but i wish it was! that ones clean. this is like the only picture i have of it. me and my girl took a surprise mothersday trip to see my mom up in oregon and this is the lake behind her house. alot of great memories in this truck i miss it sometimes... but then i get in my tacoma and i remember why i made the decision i did:D

[​IMG]

7. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    ComaRyder1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    thanx man i got the rims off Amazon for $450, and im still in the process of bulding the cage. did a little more work yesterday but ran out of daylight

8. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    ComaRyder1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    got a late start yesterday, but got a little more tubing welded in the cage. also did the grey wire mod and had a blast!

[​IMG]

also plated a couple of corners for strenth, here a foot long bead so you guys can check out my flux core game. no gas and yet there isnt any splatter ;)
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top