1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough country lift help

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dadwillis, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM
    Dadwillis

Dadwillis [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma dc 4x4 trd sport
    20%tint, in Channel window visors, husky all weather floor mats
    Hi guys, i started the install of my 6 inch rough country drop bracket kit tonight. I got to the part where i am supposed to remove the knuckle. I removed the nut on the hub and i can not seem to get the hub to come off. The instructions are pretty vague. Can anyone offer me any help? It looks like it should just slide off of the drive shaft. Am i supposed to beat the driveshaft in? Like where i took the nut off? I was just a little afraid to start pounding on it.

I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks

2014 double cab 4x4

2. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I'm not an expert on rough country but all I know about them is their products are junk. I'd recommend a fabtech lift next time.

3. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:10 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Jeezus Christ NO !! don't start beating anything (yet)

Ok so you've loosened the lower ball joint ?? better still get a couple pics up so i can see exactly where you're at...

4. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:11 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    & hurry with pics, you have an audience...

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (1 members and 5 guests)

5. Mar 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    You need to use a ball joint/tie rod puller.

Similar to this:
    OTC-7503_zps211b65e6_6ffe5e4ef7a490c1bbac16486d5c11931d33a5cb.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. Mar 30, 2014 at 2:00 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Your hub assembly is one unit with your wheel bearing. There are four bolts behind the hub that need to be loosened in order for it to come out. Search for wheel bearing removal and installation in the 2nd Gen forum

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  7. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Ok, guess he fell off the earth... anyway when you get back you need to pull the caliper,wire it up to support it so all the weight is off the brake line, move it out of the way & yes it will move,slide rotor off too, now drop lower ball joint, by this time you should be ready to gently pry the axle out of its locked position, the lock is a small compression ring that expands into a keyway or groove on the inboard axle spline, gently pry or tap the small flange near where CV goes into diff. Do this just until it releases & just starts to come out, stop, now this is where a buddy comes in handy..One of you hold the CV right where it just came out of for support & the other guy can swing the spindle outwards, this will start the CV to come out, you may have to tweak it around a little, but at this point its easy, install is same as reverse

8. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Guess he got it on his own...

9. Mar 30, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

I hope so, I envision him out there beating the fuck out of his axle as he was talking about...:eek::eek:

:)

10. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    Dadwillis

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    Sorry guys, i went to bed last night. Thanks for the replies.. Yes, i got the caliper off and the 4 bolts loose. I will keep at it this morning, sounds like it just needs to pop loose. Thanks again!

11. Mar 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:
    those are the things we wanted to hear unbolted before force applied.

12. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    Dadwillis

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    Just wanted to say thanks for the guys that helped me with the problem i was having. I got her all done and it turned out great! Thanks again

image.jpg

13. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    I bought a Rough Country lift for my Chevy 2500 years ago after Off Road magazine reviewed the same lift and I must agree with MGMT. I really hope you have a better experience. All their lifts cant be crap.....

14. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Ohhh no the lift is on backwards!!!:eek:

J/K :p
    Nice truck!

15. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    Looks good!

16. Apr 12, 2014 at 2:12 AM
    JDM DAD

JDM DAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB BRM TRD SPORT
    Dipped badges and wheels
    How is your ride quality? I am considering getting this lift for my 14 prerunner DCSB. I don't plan to off road at all if anything going to a campsite but nothing crazy. All you ever hear is bad things about this lift but I'm very curious how many people have ran this lift and then changes to something else or are the just talking bad about it since it's the 4" blocks and spacers.

17. Apr 12, 2014 at 3:18 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    So many people on here are just mimics. "I heard that lift sucks". Yeah but, whats your experience with this lift? These guys have been making lifts for a decade, they can't all suck, they'd be out of business.
    If a drop bracket lift is what you want, this is an option. Me, personally, for a drop bracket lift, I'd go Fab Tech also. With the long coil overs up front and proper sized custom leaf springs out back, no blocks.

18. Apr 12, 2014 at 3:34 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Try like 1974, Dick Cepek who was known more for his line of Tires than any fame that arrived from offroading competitively, as he was a mediocre driver at best, teamed up with this dickhead named Lonnie ( I keep wanting to say his last name is Brown ) Brown , who DID have some legit stats in his corner as far as racing went... They got a small shop in El Cajon,Ca. off of Main st, about 4 miles from my place, & there they took root selling & installing alot of suspension kits for the big 3, I almost went to work for Lonnie when I was about 20, but the guy was such an arrogant fucking asshole, NO ONE could work for him... I didn't go Rough Country on my Power Wagon, I went with the new company called Rancho Suspension products haha My Dodge was the first in Ca. to run one & probably the highest in entire west coast, def highest in SoCal

19. Apr 12, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    Dadwillis

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    Jdm dad, a lot of guys on here say, that lift is crap, you will be sorry. Im sure the fabtech lift rides a little better, but i agree with the guy that said that rough country cant be that bad or they wouldnt be in business. I am happy with what i got. Im like you and i dont off road a ton. I feel the rough country lift is just fine for every day use and ocasional off road use. The ride is a little bit stiffer then stock, but you expect that when you get a 6 inch lift with a spacer and block. The truck looks great, its taller then i expected. It fits 35's with no trimming.(just have to remove the front mud flaps) if you dont off road a lot, i would recomend this lift. Cant beat the price either. $850. Good luck!

20. Apr 13, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    JDM DAD

JDM DAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB BRM TRD SPORT
    Dipped badges and wheels
    Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I pretty sure this is the lift I'm going to put on my truck when the time comes. I found a shop that does the lift, install and alignment for $1350 which you can't beat.

Products Discussed in

To Top