1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

have you broken anything on your truck lately?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by monstajp, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    Broke a leaf spring. Tried to take the bolts out (ones on the bottom of the bumper) to take the center cover off the rear bumper so I could paint it and they snapped off same with the push clips and the ones behind the plate. Now everythings held on with zip ties. LOL

2. Apr 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    WhiteNemesis

WhiteNemesis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr PattyCakes
    T-Town, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Cant get enough
    Blow it through the roof
    had my heart broken a couple times since buying the truck, dont do the gf mod

3. Apr 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Howard would have been absolutely exhausted and way too fat after dealing with the chimpmunk invasion I had that year.

4. Apr 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    monstajp

monstajp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport debadged
    Debadged, Blacked Out Taillights and 3rd Brakelight , Blacked Out Grille, Blacked Out Lower Valence, Hot Wheels Badges, Yellow Fog Lights, Rims and Tires. Undercover Swing Case, Pop-A-Lock on my Tailgate, N-FAB Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Bed cover, Aero Cat- Back Exhaust, PIAA Extreme white 4000k Bulbs, Readylift 2.25 Leveling Kit.
    Im sure it costs less to fix broken hearts compared to broken parts.

5. Apr 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    monstajp

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport debadged
    Debadged, Blacked Out Taillights and 3rd Brakelight , Blacked Out Grille, Blacked Out Lower Valence, Hot Wheels Badges, Yellow Fog Lights, Rims and Tires. Undercover Swing Case, Pop-A-Lock on my Tailgate, N-FAB Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Bed cover, Aero Cat- Back Exhaust, PIAA Extreme white 4000k Bulbs, Readylift 2.25 Leveling Kit.
    It seems like leafs seem to break pretty often. Anyone buy an AAL or an aftermarket leaf pack to avoid an initial problem? ? Part of the point of this thread is to see what parts need to be reinforced to avoid breakage and equipment failure.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. Apr 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    monstajp

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport debadged
    Im sure it costs less to fix broken hearts compared to broken parts.

7. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I need to do this, they're flat on mine, it's only a matter of time

I messed the bearing up on my driveshaft pretty good. It was a sunny day, about 30 degrees out, and it had snowed about 3" that morning. When the sun came out the snow melted; by the time I got out of work I had icicles underneath my truck. I didn't realize it had also melted down the back of the cab and froze into a giant ball on the driveshaft. About two miles of 55 mph and my tired bearing's rubber went kaput.

Found out you can order the original bearing from any driveline shop that carries Spicer parts for 1/3 the cost of the dealer, and it's not one of those aftermarket cheapies, it's the real deal.

Between that and the binding steering shaft u-joint in February, I'm tired of winter breaking stuff.

Not that summer is any better, the clutch on the AC compressor self-destructed last July. I still gotta fix that

8. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    Hmm.

Welp, I broke the rear shocks when loading *insert a lot of mental math here* 1, 470ish (give or take about 50-70ish) pounds of computers and printers and assorted battery backup units into the bed of mine and driving it three counties away.

(Long story short: Hurricane relocation in less than zero time with classes starting in new school facility in less than 20 hours)

34 Lenovo PCs. 7 4xxx series HP laserjet printers with full stack trays, duplexers, and paper. Full rack of servers and switches and UPSes to run them.

THOUGHT I might have broke the rear end and/or tranny driving through three+ feet of water over a dozen times in some flooding we had here in January...spend over $100 to drain, flush, re-fill both, to find not a drop of water in either.

Really , that's about it.

9. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I wouldn't even know where to begin ...

10. May 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    monstajp

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport debadged
    Anyone else?

11. May 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    had a c/v boot rip :notsure:

damn things been pretty good to me. I relocated the exhaust crossover though before it had any chance to be crushed.

not sure if my aal has saved factory pack

no leaks or anything. 108k miles

12. May 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    Was 4 wheeling around the lake I fish in... went down a steep little hill and it dead ended, but there was a truck parked there, so I couldn't turn around.

I backed up the hill in 4 wheel (2 wheel wouldn't cut it) and ran over a rock and broke one of the front mud flaps. I took the other one off when I got home and it looks better.

13. May 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    I haven't broken anything or had anything go wrong with my '14. My '09 had a dented rear bumper and a broken/bent 7 pin connector when I traded it in. Other than that no issues/damage.

Products Discussed in

To Top