1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gear oil seeping near rear spring shackle?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by AKADriver, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Apr 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    AKADriver

AKADriver [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    03 base 2WD
    1st gen 5 lug. The diff has been giving me no end of problems. Breather was rusted shut. Pinion seal was torn to shreds. The truck has 42,000 miles.

It doesn't seem to be coming from the axle seal. There is most definitely clean looking gear oil on the passenger side spring and spring shackle. I searched and people with rust-related diff leaks seemed to have them at the pumpkin/rear cover area.

Is my housing destroyed, or is there something there that could leak, or is there a chance I could get away with some sort of JB Weld or RTV solution for now? I'm sick and tired of chasing leaks.

2. Apr 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Can you take some pictures and post them here in order to have a look at what's actually going on?

3. Apr 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I don't know how oil could get to the shackle. Are you sure that is the correct term for the part in question? Do you really mean u-bolt plate?

4. Apr 12, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    AKADriver

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    03 base 2WD
    Correct. The U-bolt plate.

You can see some darkness on the housing here. It's a difficult place to take photos. There is no oil near the flange on the end, only here at the U-bolt area.

IMAG0222_c0bbf86479b5a4f1d26657e371cce2cc8d46b2cc.jpg

It had been worse but I wiped off the spring earlier.

5. Apr 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    brake line drip? can you see anything from above that spot? I would've said proportioning valve but it's on driver's side. how's the shock/boot?

idk just running through quick thoughts.

6. Apr 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    AKADriver

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    03 base 2WD
    Nope, not brake fluid, gear oil for sure. The bleeder screw and brake line are dry.

My only possible thought is that somehow the U-bolts were overtorqued when the frame and rear springs were replaced, and this cracked the housing there, but that was two years ago and this is a brand new leak that only started after changing the diff oil. The truck has never been jumped or abused, previous owner was my dad in his 60s.

7. Apr 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Cracked housing is the only thing it could be. Hard to see with all that rust, though. I had a crack there in my '84 4runner, in the same spot. I replaced the housing.

Products Discussed in

To Top