1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question about donahoe coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by das56170, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Mar 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM
    das56170

das56170 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    I was looking at the "icon vehicle dynamics" website formally donahoe and was looking at their coilovers. They say they're adjustable up to 3.5" of lift. But they say in the installation instructions they say they are come from the factory set at 2" and they don't recommend going over 2.5" of lift, because of aligmnment issues. I was wondering if I had the front of my truck set at 2.5" inches of lift could I fit 285/75r16 or 285/70r17 (approximately 32.8" tall) or would I have to set the coilovers for 3" of lift. Who here is running donahoe coilovers, and where do you have them set, and what size tires are you running, and do you have any problems?

Also on a side note: how easy are coilovers to install???

2. Mar 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    Big Guns

Big Guns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    The coilovers should bolt right up. Loosen the 3 screws at the top, pop it out and put the Icon coil in. They can run up to 3.5 in, but that is to compensate for sag over time. Anything over 2.5 and you lose too much droop and get a very uncomfortable ride.

And yes you can fit those tires, but might need to trim a little bit. You will rub.

3. Apr 17, 2008 at 12:16 PM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Silver 4x4 LB DC, SR5, deb
    Snug Top, Tint, American Racing Mojave Rims with BFG AT's, Icon Coilovers, Camburg UCA's, Wheelers rear springs, Icon Rear shocks with res, front diff spacer.
    hey did you ever find out info on these coil overs you were inquiring about? I'm hoping you can share your knowledge with me.. I want those coil overs and also get some improved shocks for the back. This stock ride height is killing me and I don't just want a leveler kit, I want a nice quality ride for street and dirt.

Kenneth

4. Apr 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM
    das56170

das56170 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    from what i've read they are some of the best suspension components that you can put on your truck. The only thing is they're pretty expensive and there are cheaper methods of leveling or lifting your truck. These are a good choice if your looking for performance though. here's their web site.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/

5. Apr 18, 2008 at 7:43 AM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    Snug Top, Tint, American Racing Mojave Rims with BFG AT's, Icon Coilovers, Camburg UCA's, Wheelers rear springs, Icon Rear shocks with res, front diff spacer.
    Well I bought the Icons and Camburg ca's from wheelers on line. Think I got a pretty decent price. I also hooked up with the bilsteins for the back with a 3 leaf pack to go with it. My only concern is if the American Racing Mojave with Teflon® (Series 3981) 16x8 with 4 1/2 back space will fit over my calipers..
    I am excited for the arrival of all of my goodies..

6. Apr 19, 2008 at 6:07 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    I've been waiting on my donahoe's from Wheelers for almost a week and a half. Got an email saying they're backordered. Gonna give'em a call on Monday. Just giving you a heads up.

7. Apr 19, 2008 at 7:55 AM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    Great just what I needed. Added time stacked on to me already being anxious for the arrival of them... What rim tire combo (size)are you planning on running with your coil over set?

8. Apr 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    285/70/17 BFG ATs on 17x9 American Racing Series 3985 Chamber Teflons

9. Apr 21, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Update: Got off the phone with wheeler's earlier today and the Icon coilovers came in this morning. No idea if they're all spoken for. Mine are shipped. I'm excited.

10. Apr 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    iwc3714

iwc3714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Bull bar, oem side steps and 18" Enkei
    You'll love the Icon dynamics. They're great quality. I love mine.:D
    [​IMG]

11. Apr 21, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Its stuff like that that keeps you from having friends. :p

I'm impatient, time to start looking for coilovers in houses with tan carpets...

12. Apr 22, 2008 at 11:48 AM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    Do you have a picture of your truck with the coil overs on her? Rim people are saying the Mojave rims I want kinda stick out with the 0 offset? I am so confused

13. Apr 22, 2008 at 1:23 PM
    iwc3714

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I really don't have the type of pictures that you need and I'll be at work till 1030pm.
    But here are a couple.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Apr 22, 2008 at 4:23 PM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the picture. I found out that the rims and tires will work. Just waiting for the set up to arrive.

Will surly post pictures when I am done

15. Apr 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    iwc3714

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Glad to see that it will work.:D
    BTW, I had the coilovers left at the factory setting - 2.5"
    I talked to the guy at www.polyperformance.com and he
    said if I left it at the stock settings from the factory, I
    wouldn't need a uca.
    Welcome to the Icon Dynamics club.:thumbsup:

16. Apr 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    k2pow

k2pow Active Member

Member:
    Valley Village CA
    Vehicle:
    Need? Ahh nothing on my truck is a need. All fun for me. Good to know about the UCA's but it was my way of still having camburg stuff on the truck with out going with the full long travel kit. I did like the icon's better than the camburg coil overs. I just wish it would come already. I called wheelers today and they said they are on the way to them and were going to see if they could arrange a drop ship directly to me from Icon. Thanks again for your info...

P.s. What are you running in the rear?

17. Apr 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM
    lightmup

lightmup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 db cab TRD sport 6" fabtec lift 33-13.5-20
    AFE intake, Gibson cat back exhaust, Fabtec 6"lift, King remote resy coilovers, Light Racing UCA's , Allpro front bumper,PIAA fogs, 3 KC slim lights, Optima battery, Weathertech flour mats, Tinted windows, Wheels and tires, Back up camera, 10" shallow mount kenwood sub
    I was at a local off road show yesterday and ran into a rep for icon.:cool: He said he could custom make some coil overs to fit my fabtech 6" lift.:eek: I need to go to my local distributer and have them measure it out and send it in and they will hook me up.:D:D:D:bananadance: Wish me luck !! Should be sweet!!

18. Apr 27, 2008 at 7:51 AM
    iwc3714

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I'm running Icon rear shocks with reservoirs and the add a leaf pack. Lunni, good thing their already on the truck and not lying around on my carpet.:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Apr 28, 2008 at 6:19 AM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Lol yours are safe, mine are in the mail and hopefully on the truck by the end of next week. Good thing too my squad leader asked me why theres a stack of 33" wheels at the foot of my bed in my barracks room. They help me sleep at night.

20. Apr 30, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    ToyoComp

ToyoComp Addicted Mod'r

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Off Road DC
    Sway-A-Way Race Runner 2.5 coil over (3" lift) & Icon 2.5 rear shocks on RXT springs, Total Chaos UCA, ToyTec differential drop, Tom Woods Driveshaft, SpiderTrax spacers, 8128 Pro Comp wheels, Toyo Open Country RT 285/70/17, DT Long Tube headers, URD MAF, TRD CAI & exhaust, Line-X coated Famous Fabrication front bumper, Demello Sliders and rear bumper, Wet Okole covers, Rigid LED spot, driving & fog, bed mat, debadged & EBC Stage 4 rotors and pads
    luni - are you planning to drop the differential? May not need to do this if you're only going to 2.5 but I know ToyTec sells a very inexpensive ($29.99 I think) kit that helps return the CV angles closer to stock - translation less wear and tear. Something to consider while you have the truck up on jack stands. Good luck with the build and let's see some pictures.:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top