1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dead LEDs behind a/c button and airflow wheel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SCFirefighter, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Well, the topic says it all. I recently discovered that the a/c button and the third wheel back-lit LEDs are dead. Is there a known remedy for that anywhere?

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    pull the hvac panel, replace em?

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Well, I guess I deserved that one :)
    Do you know of a how to anywhere? I've done a lot to me truck, but none of it has been interior work.

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    will be a lil more expensive, but you could replace that whole hvac, pretty sure you can find a scrapped one somewhere

5. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    slip like a credit card or something of that fashion under the panel, and pop it out. A theirs one or two plugs on the back, disconnect those and then just look to where the bulbs go.

6. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Based on my 2005:
    I don't know about the a/c button but the light behind the knobs is easy.
    Use a flat blade or something to gently pry out the bottom of that panel that has the fan & temp knobs. It just snaps in. I think 2 snaps at top and 2 at bottom. Once you get it out, unplug the wires and that'll free up the entire assembly.

Lights for the knobs are just 1/4 turn base. There are 2 bulbs. You can get the bulb from dealer cheap enough. It's odd but if I remember correctly, the light on the left illuminates the right side and the light on the right illuminates the left.

Like I said, not sure about the light inside the a/c button. Are you sure the a/c is actually on? I thought my a/c wasn't working (no light and compressor not cycling). Figured out the fan speed knob wasn't making solid enough contact to the copper runner inside the assembly. Fixed that and then the a/c button worked fine again.

7. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies so far. The a/c light comes on when I turn it on. I'm talking about the back-lit behind the wording.
    Can someone point me to the right bulbs so I can get them before pulling the unit out?

8. Apr 16, 2014 at 5:19 AM
    OnTheTrail

OnTheTrail Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad
    Try giving the panel a hit with your hand and see if it turns back on.

I was searching this forum for the bulb size and its common for the bulb to still work but a whack to panel makes it light. I did it and its still on 2 months later.

9. Apr 16, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Got it! I don't know what was crazier: how easy it was to pop out the hvac head, or how expensive the little bulb was.
    I attached some pics, including part numbers for others to find in the future.
    Yes, I paid $11 for a little $0.02 bulb from Japan. The third picture shows both bulbs on and where they're located.
    uploadfromtaptalk1397654361931.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397654377354.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397654393445.jpg

Part number: 84999-10090

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    totmacher is right on. When you are in there best to replace both bulbs.

11. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I replaced mine in the parking lot of the dealer. I'll replace the next one when it goes out. I was appalled at the $11 price tag. I wasn't about to buy two and feel like I bent over voluntarily, again.

12. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    Wow, most places are pretty pricey for this too. Camelback is $7+, my local dealer's onlne catalog (Copeland) shows $9.

Products Discussed in

To Top