1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GraveYard Shift BS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mondwa, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Apr 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    Applied for the night shift team lead position that was just created. Its essentially a manager position with hiring, terminating, performance reviews and the whole shebang and 6 direct reports.

I figure I got a 30-50% chance of getting it. There is someone on shift who has worked with our manager in past so we'll see if the old boys club trumps my credentials.

In a way I hope I get it and I hope I don't. The added stress and crap of babysitting people is probably not worth it in the short term as I'm in school to change careers. However the management experience would look good in the future.

2. Apr 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Cool. Good luck.
    Did the other guy even apply?

3. Apr 16, 2014 at 1:49 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    Not sure, but I'm assuming so. From my conversations with others on the shift they either don't want it, or are applying or planning on applying to other groups in IT so it's between me and him. I have formal education degrees and five years experience in the field as well as one of three IT Certs they're asking for. He has 7 years experience, no formal education and I'm not sure about his certs.

The position is being filled from within so....

4. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:06 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Guess my poor, broke ass will put another 4 in this morning.

5. Apr 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Good luck brother. I wouldn't sweat dealing with the people. For the most part if you're consistent and fair most people will go along with you. If you stick close to company policy then you'll be relatively safe from that angle too. In a larger group (or maybe even with only 6) you'll always have the cat that hates life or the company is fucking him and instead of finding another job he comes to work to pull the place down. By they way, I'd never (under any circumstance) insult any if the work group by using the term "babysit". I worked at a place and one of my counterparts used that term and her 15 people hated her for it... Personally I could care less and in fact tell my bosses I don't need stroked, I need paid. But, some of her dudes really wanted to choke her. She didn't even know they were pissed about it...

The bastards called me a midnight last night for overtime tonight. Hard to say no but, I ignored the call. Ahh...another night off.

I do have about 15 acres to mow today. The yard had went nuts growing over the last few days.

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    What do you mow 15 with? I am wanting an old farmall. I only have an acre. I just want it in the garage to look at.

7. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  8. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    I know who Susan S is but don't even know the other name so don't feel bad Rob. I'm a weirdo because I have a problem with much of the entertainment industry. It annoys me that they use their jobs to promote political opinions and it also annoys me that people are dumb enough to follow them. That being the case, as much as I can, I vote with my $$$ and don't consume the products from those I don't agree with...small and stupid I know but, I can't stand the thought of helping support anyone who would help insight an enemy while we have troops deployed in those countries. Susan (and her funny but loser boyfriend or ex boyfriend) Tim Robbins are, IMO, people who use their public format to insight...so.[/QUOTE]

Wow! It's like you rummaged through my grey matter!
    You are most certainly not alone on this train of thought......ethic really.

9. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two turds. I've also got a JD bush hog I run 5 or 6 times a year on about 25 acres of rough stuff (not the yard).

I'd be looking at a residential zero turn if I were you. Don't think you need the commercial stuff.

10. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Good to hear. We're in a world & time when anything & everything that's fucked up is okay but, our Constitution is considered offensive. Some people make me sick.

11. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm up for adoption btw. I know, I know. I'm 46. But I like to mow, I like land and I like mowers. Thought I would throw that out there.

12. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :cool: Busy night, didn't get a chance to stop by. Time for a nap ... ;)

13. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Funny :)

But....

You know you say that but, the last two years I've ran ads trying to get someone to come work around my house. Just mowing, trimming, blowing, tree trimming, maintain the drive way (slopped 1,500 foot gravel that gets rutted) & do some clearing and maybe watch my pups while I'm out of town (I've spent a bundle putting them in the kennel over the last year...like $2,000+) but, got zero response. I've got all the equipment...mowers, brush cutters, chain saws, poll saws, back pack blowers, bush hog, grader, and a front end loader.

I live outside of Oxford, Mississippi which is a college town so I figured I'd have several responses but, no, not one. I was guessing cash, 10 to 15 hours a week (by the time they sharpened the blades, changed the fluids & kept the stuff lubed) 6 months out of the year would be a nice gig at $10 or $12 an hour but boy was I wrong. Of course I'd pay extra for them to watch the dogs & that's not included in my hour estimate.

These kids & some adults I guess don't want to work but, they sure want a hand out.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Are you baiting me?

... Can't get worked up and go on a rant now; need to get some sleep shortly.

Sad commentary on current society. :(

15. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    Back off!!

lol. it didn't quote the hole thing. Stop trying to steal my step dad.

16. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :rofl:

But wait, weren't there two mowers? :rolleyes:

17. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    i'll share.

18. Apr 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Tell me about it. I don't mind doing it at all but, and especially helping my parents now, I've got other stuff I could be doing. If nothing else, I could be working overtime. Today is a perfect example, I could have worked tonight if I wanted to (not that I wanted to) but, it's not always an option on nights with stuff I have to do.

Oh....oh my.

Rob you may not know this but Rich and I grew up within a few miles of each other & graduated the same year from high schools within a half hour of each other. We didn't know each other then and now neither of us live close to that place.

Here's a few pictures of the finished product today. This is the front yard. Looks kinda shitty because it's been 2 weeks since I last mowed having been out of town last week.

Front yard just inside the gate about 100 feet from the road looking east.
    [​IMG]

Front yard about half way between the house & road looking north.
    [​IMG]

Near the house looking west about 1,500 feet from the road.
    [​IMG]

I had FROST this morning so it started out cold but, I ended up shirtless and in shorts before I was finished.

19. Apr 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    I knew you guys grew up in the same area in Indiana. :cool:

You have yourself a nice sized piece of property there. That is quite a bit of grass to mow. You do need some Summer help. Kids don't seem to do yard work anymore.

Heck I stayed busy for 3/4 of the year doing yard work to make money from the time I was 12 yrs old. If i wanted to wear Levis and Nikes versus Toughskins and Converse, i paid half all the way through junior high school. By 16, I was working 36 to 40 hrs a week at a grocery store while going to school; by that time I was paying for everything for myself besides room and board. Ran away and joined the Air Force at 18.

These are different times my friend. :rolleyes:

.... And it was up hill both ways. :eek: I've become such a grumpy old man. :rofl:

20. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I worked the same way Rob.

Ya, I'd be happy to have some help around the place. When my boy was here he was all about it. Not once did I have to mow, trim or maintain the drive. Hell, he even cleaned, cooked & did laundry until he started working and dating and I rarely even had to ask him to do it. Don't get me wrong I love having the place & if ground prices weren't so cheap here I wouldn't. When I moved from Indiana the lots next to mine were priced at $100,000 & $120,000 for unimproved 10 acre tracts. I had 10 acres and a custom home. The ground in my area here in Mississippi (in my area ) is priced between $850 & $2,250 an acre. For my place, I paid less than $2,250/acre.

Products Discussed in

To Top