1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$1440 for new brakes, wheel bearing and seals?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MacGyvR, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Apr 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Does the labor on this seem a bit high or right on the mark? (invoice attached)

The brake pads I bought didn't have the squeal feature, so I wore them all the way down and destroyed the rotors. I also had a rear axle leak that got into the rear brakes and messed those up as well.

I dropped the car off yesterday at 7am, but he didn't call me until 1pm to discuss what it would cost. He mentioned it would be $1661.02 out the door, but was unable to break that down for me on the phone. I went in this morning and he revised that down to $1443.13. The part prices look fair, but I feel like the labor costs are still pretty high.

It's too late to take it anywhere else, the work should be done this afternoon. Just trying to learn for next time and figuring out how much I should try to talk him down. What do you guys think?

Car work 1.jpg
    car work 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    $482 for brake labor sounds high to me. I guess they're doing a full service though...

3. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    What would a full service include? They did mention they're bleeding the system and refilling it.

4. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    spky

spky Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Even at full service, labor shouldn't be that much. Sounds like a double charge for pads and rotors. Meaning that he is charging you labor time for pads, and recharging labor times again for rotors. It should be under just one. Next time you go to any shop, ask them what are their rates. It will make more sense when you look at the invoice.

Next time ask for an estimate that shows labor hours to labor charge. If a shop doesn't show it, I wouldn't trust it. No telling what they can/could charge you for.

5. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    teehext

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Yeah it looks like the brake flush will be just under $100 which sounds about right. From the description it looks like they're going to clean and lube the whole system which will be nice. But if you have the time, doing the calipers and rotors yourself is a pretty straight forward job and could be a way to cut labor costs. I'm unfamiliar with drum brakes though

6. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    Is it reasonable to ask them how the labor charge is determined?

7. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    A lot of shops will have their labor rate/hour posted in plain view. Ours was 80/hr in Colorado. Prices look fair for all of them to me, it's all flat rate so whatever the book says is how it gets charged so they could show you every hour that goes into the job by the book. Whether the service writer gets a little butt hurt about having to look it up and show you is a different story.

8. Apr 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    As I am reading the invoice the $482 is listed as replacing the front brake pads, and rotors, then removing and machining the rear drums, as well as replacing the rear shoes. The breakdown in my catalog shows this:

Brake drum - remove - both sides - 1.6 hrs
    Machine drum - each 0.6 hrs
    replace front brake pads - both sides - 1.1 hrs
    replace rotors while pads removed - both sides 0.8 hrs
    Adjust rear brakes - 0.3 hrs

Total labor time - 5.0 hrs At a charge of $482 for labor that divides out to a labor rate of $96.40 per hour. About average for a dealership or shop.

However I would say that the diagnostic time of $36 should have been rolled into the repair. I did that at every shop I worked at for brake work.

9. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Unfortunately it's pretty expensive to get your vehicle repaired at a shop/dealer. But pretty much every business has mark ups, over head, etc that needs to get covered in labor/material costs.. Probably would have paid close to 30-40% of that if you did it Yourself. Id say to learn for next time watch a few YouTube videos on what you are trying to do. Most of this stuff is super easy and takes basic hand tools. A lot of people on here are super friendly and helpful so next time just ask!

10. Apr 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    So it went really well and they really did a fantastic job on the car. Kurt is a really nice guy and broke down the pricing on the labor for me. I also called around and found that a lot of other places (Just Brakes, for example) had pretty similar pricing, but were lower by about $250. We talked with him for a bit and got him to knock $100 off of that, so it ended up being $1360 out the door. I trust them enough for them to be my new shop.

He also through in a 75-point inspection and didn't find anything else wrong. Not too shabby for having 200,000 miles!

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it!

11. Apr 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    teehext

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Sounds like they treated you right, glad it worked out!

12. Apr 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    no offense to any techs but this is why I'm glad I was taught to do my own service. :)

13. Apr 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    This breaks it down pretty accurately. When I worked for Toyota the labor rate was $90/hr. and as mentioned, the diag fee should be waived if the repairs are agreed upon. We'd only charge the fee if the repairs were declined or if it was a lengthy diagnosis (tracing a short, misc electric issue).

14. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Really almost a full hour to replace the rotors on the front, once the calipers are off they just pull off in about 2 seconds, and over an hour and a half to remove the rear drums(do they get dressed up in hasmat suits as part of the cost. Then they are charging you twice for machining the drums, if they have to send them out they shouldn't be charging you labor and if they have their own machine there shouldn't be a machine shop cost. The only part of the bill that looks reasonable is the axle seal replacement(that can be a bitch).

15. Apr 21, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    I agree about the times but remember this is Toyota quoting times not the shop. The shop/dealer just goes off of what they say to make sure nothing is rushed, even if it is longer than you or I would take. They are under liability if something goes wrong, you are liable for your own mistakes only :)

16. Apr 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I would have done both axles seals while everything was apart.

Products Discussed in

To Top