1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo crossbars that fit rail system?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aaronk, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Aug 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    aaronk

aaronk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    Local dealer says the cargo bars are no longer in their system and they can't order them. I know Yakima makes a cargo bar/rack system but that's several hundred dollars, and a bit nicer than I need.

I'm looking to put a Yakima or Thule bike rack on bars that will hopefully sit level with the top of the bed and utilize the rail system as their attachment point. Are they any inexpensive options out there?

2. Aug 15, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Aaron,I have a set of the cargo bars attached to my rail system and they came with the attachments for rack accessories.It was really affordable and very practical....I would advise calling around to other dealers.They've got to be out there.Check my gallery for a couple of pics of my bike mounted back there.

3. Aug 15, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    aaronk

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    The pic of your road bike is exactly what I want to do (except leave the front wheel on). I'll call around, I can't believe they would have discontinued them...

4. Aug 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Yeah,that has to do with the bike rack you choose....Mine are fork mount but there are lots that allow you to leave the wheel on.I am surprised that they would be discontinued as well,but even if they have,there has to be stock around....Want me to check the East Coast for you?

5. Aug 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    aaronk

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    I think I might have found a pair, part number showed in the system of the other dealer I called. Should be here Tuesday :)

6. Aug 16, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    I've heard from several different sources regarding the cross bars that Toyota may no longer be offering them as an accessory however they are still listed on the Toyota.com site as an accessory. May be something new for 2010 though. Personally I have them and love the fact that I can attach Thule trays to them with no modifications or adaptors. If you find some of my early threads though you'll find the frustration I had though with Toyota and Yakima as you can't get extra clips for adding accessories. It's been like that since the 05's as the clips Yakima says fit the cross bars don't. Also the fact that the bars are only rated for 50# each limits their ability to carry anything but a few bikes. If you find some plan to go with Thule bike trays as they fit very well. Forget Yakima as you'll have a PITA time trying to find anything that fits properly.

Here's a pic of my setup. I have added a third tray since this pic and carry three bikes now. If you plan to leave the front wheel on then plan to have them stick out over the rear of the bed if you have a short bed like my truck.

_MG_6767_3d64816d1c2f28dee422b1e13d6cbcbe97a45a02.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top