1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How hard is it to replace the carpeting in a double cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kONArIPPER, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Apr 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    kONArIPPER

kONArIPPER [OP] Active Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    5100's, 285 Duratracs, Spidertrax
    Anyone have experience with replacing the carpet? I assume is mainly a matter of taking out the seats, center console, and some of the other plastic trim? Anybody know about how much a new carpet kit runs price wise?

It's got water damage/stains and smells like a swamp with a touch of pet odor.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Apr 21, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    Buy new carpet. Remove seats/console and possibly a few trim pieces.

Other than that should be smooth sailing. Even smoother if the console area is cut out which i probably is ;)

3. Apr 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Replaced carpet in my access cab. Have to remove seats and all trim, have to remove back wall plastic, console. Kit probably won't have cut outs for console. Carpet comes oversize for you to cut. Make sure you do it on hot sunny day. Have to let carpet sit in sun for a while to soften up so you can work it easier. Comes pre molded for your truck but you still have to work it a little bit.

4. Apr 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    kONArIPPER

kONArIPPER [OP] Active Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    5100's, 285 Duratracs, Spidertrax
    Thanks for this info. Did you get aftermarket or OEM carpet? Do you just lay it down pretty much loose? or do you fasten it or glue it in place?

5. Apr 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    How many miles are on your Tacoma that you need new carpet? I had 175K and mine looked like new... although I did have Weathertech floor liners up front.

When I bought my first '06 Tacoma my impression was best floor mats I have seen, worst carpet I've seen. Surprisingly it wore fantastically.

6. Apr 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    It takes about 3-4 hours to get the carpet out and back in. I did it when I sound deadened my Truck.

Go slow, mark all bolt locations and you should be fine.

BDeano likes this.
  7. Apr 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM
    watchdog

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Bought truck used. Carpet was nasty. Plus wanted to change from grey to black. Ordered carpet kit off ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Apr 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    watchdog

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    No glue. Just lay it down loose. Came with insulation attached to back like OEM.

9. Apr 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Mudfinger

Mudfinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lefty
    Long Beach, California
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Shorty 3.4L 4x4
    I didn't replace mine, just removed it and coated the cockpit deck with textured polyurethane. 1995.5 regular cab.

The only tricky bit was removing the plastic bits covering the inside of the B pillar. The nuts that secure the seatbelt apparatus to the B pillar are on the soft side. A 14mm flare wrench would probably be ideal, but even without removing the upper seatbelt mount, you can still safely remove the plastic.

You might even be able to leave all that in place, just pull the lower part of the plastic out of the way, and tuck the carpet in?

10. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    On the OEM carpet, there are plastic bars that fit into channels under the door sill trim. It would be impossible to remove the old carpet without pulling the trim up to lift those bars out of the channel.

11. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Ive had mine out of my access cab numerouse times due to flooding issues

as she sits now...

[​IMG]

take it out and wash it. they clean up great. mine looks brand new after 6 years of treating it like shit and spilling coffee and soda everywhere.

it is not cut out

no need to remove the back wall at all. mine is out in the pic just so I could soundproof it.

lay it down if OE. carpet kits suck and never line up - good luck with that.

or just put the bolts back where they belong as someone smarter then I taught me. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

carpet is stapled to those bars.

12. Apr 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    If I was in your spot, I'd just replace it with roll-on bedliner and never mess with it again.

13. Apr 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

what would you do with all the wires, added sound, and added heat?

my cabs already loud enough.

my feet already burn in the summer from the heat.

and the wires are from everything like the inverter to air bags (not things you want to have laying around exposed)

I thought of it, but it's impractical for me. The interior only takes an hour to take out and I don't mind washing my carpet once every 3-4 years.

14. Apr 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Just remember to unplug the battery, So you don't mess up the air bags in the seats. if it has them.

15. Apr 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    I'll just coat those too. I dunno, I wonder how much the all vinyl flooring option is to install aftermarket...

I just love bedliner and think it should be used on everything everywhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top