1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need someone experienced.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Bearskill, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Aug 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I know this topic has been beat to death, But.... Im dealing with the drive line clunk issue on my 06 AC Sport. Most things and people are pointing to a sticking slip yoke due to inproper pinion angle/axle wrap/lack of grease from the factory. Here are some pics. Can some one point out exactly where it is sticking?
    p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpg

2. Aug 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    None of those pics have a pic of the Drive shaft. If its clunking due to the slip joint, you need to remove the rear part of the DS, and pack some grease into the slip joint. BE SURE to put the DS back in the same prientation as it was before being removed. Use chalk to make the location of where it connects.

3. Aug 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    x2....i used a silver sharpie to makrk my location,then it wasnt any trouble getting back in. i may get a pic tomorrow of the part that needs to be taken apart.....and post here.

4. Aug 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Ok, I think I found it. It's the one inside the carrier bearing right? So if I get a new drive line I wont have to worry about having to get anything more other than a little shimming of the axle?
    Picture1.jpg
    Just making sure that getting a Tom Woods WILL solve my problems with the clunk.

5. Aug 16, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    no...the one you are feeling the clunk from is the part that comes outta the rear end,then the shaft connects there with it/u-joint. that needs to be taken apart(4 bolts) and greased.

6. Aug 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    I don't get it. How does that peice give when the suspention travels?

7. Aug 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    So where the drive/propeler shaft goes into the diff?
    [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Picture1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    p2.jpg

8. Aug 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what happend with the pics there.

9. Aug 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Tell you what, I know this is a pic of a one peice DS, but just point to where you are talking about then repost the pic for me.
    GeoCvtext[1].jpg

10. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Ok...I've read in another thread that you were getting this clunk 4-5 seconds after coming to a complete stop.

Do a search on the Automatic Transmission Lurch.

11. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    sure this isn't axle wrap?

12. Aug 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    I bought my '06 Taco with 40,000 miles on it recently. It had axel wrap and clunked on acceleration and when I take my foot off the brakes to begin accelerating. Not knowing whether the 30,000 mile maintenance was done, I decided over the weekend to grease all 5 U-joint zerks. I had to take off an exhaust heat shield to get to the second one. The U-joints were dry as a bone, as no old grease oozed out until the new stuff came out. I also changed diff and transfer fluids.

After doing the 5 U-joint zerks, the clunking I perviously heard was gone. Just smooooth running. I could hear the driveline saying... "ohhhh yeah!!!". So try to grease the joints. Make sure you have a 12mm socket for the heat shield. I believe this will make a difference.

13. Aug 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah....its basically axle wrap..to a point, but greasing that part of the driveshaft makes it alot less noticeable.

14. Aug 17, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Ya, I have the lurch, but it is more than that some times.

Products Discussed in

To Top