1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB install on 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Barry70Stang, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Apr 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    Barry70Stang

Barry70Stang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    West Monroe, La
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD Tacoma
    Toyota toolbox, Marathon seat covers and Husky liners.......so far!
    Guys, I installed an ARB front bumper and warn winch on my 2012 Tocoma today. For the most part I like it, but I have a couple of questions for you guys that have already installed them.
    1. What did you do with the fender liners? I've got mine just zip tied out of the way at the moment to see what kind of ideas you guys may have.
    2. I mounted a Warn M8000, and it's gonna be pretty hard to reach through the hole to put it to free spool. I clocked the winch just like the instructions said. What did you do about this issue?
    3. I am sorely disappointed that ARB didn't design this bumper where the factory fog lights can be used. Just a ploy to try to make you buy there's I suppose. I'm gonna fabricate something to make mine work.
    4. Do I need to have a front end alignment done since I have added the extra weight of the bumper and winch?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Barry

2. Apr 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    Not sure about the ARB. But many more aftermarket bumpers require you to cut the fender lining. The other stuff cant help with, sorry.

3. Apr 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    TheGreatPear

TheGreatPear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Gunsan, South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 V6 6 Speed
    1) I just cut the fender liners with a box cutter right before they hit the bumper.
    2) As far as the winch goes, i have mine clocked per instructions also, its not an ideal angle IMO...Im considering rotating it so it sits straight up.
    3) Yes, it sucks, but i think the ARB fogs are actually a bit brighter than the factory ones, i just bit the bullet and forked out the cash for them.
    4)I wouldn't worry about an alignment with just the bumper, however, i wouldn't recommend running this bumper without some sort of lift to compensate for the weight - you'd need an alignment for that.

Good luck!

4. Apr 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    To reach my winch control I took a big "T" water key {like what the plumber uses to turn off the water main at the street} Get one at Lowes or Home Depot...and I had it cut down to maybe 6"....works great! I know when wheeling in winter my hand would have been to cold and stiff to turn!!

5. Apr 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    Faryota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    I also installed the ARB fog lights and up graded the blub a bit...did the turn on any time thing too!!!!

6. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    Faryota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    T handle 1.jpg

T handle 2.jpg
    Hope this helps!!!

7. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    Barry70Stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    West Monroe, La
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD Tacoma
    Hmmm, I sure do hate to cut the liners, but I guess thats what I'll do. I've got a 3" skyjacker lift, shouldn't be any problem there. I'll probably bite the proverbial bullet too, as much as I hate too!

8. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    y setup I relocated the winch control box up uner the hood near the firewall (deter theft). I used the wiring for the driving lights to power some KC HID off road lights. And yes box cutters to the fender linings.

I chose the 9.0 RC Warn winch. It was designed for a Jeep so very compact. Unfortunately mounts 90degrees off of the mounts. Had to weld some strips onto the ARB bumper to get it installed.

No allignment needed if you dont change your suspension. I changed mine to OME 885' and Dakars in rear.

9. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    Barry70Stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    West Monroe, La
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD Tacoma
    Good idea, I'll look into that. The lever on my winch is really stiff for whatever reason, maybe they are all like that??? Thanks for the tip!

10. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    Barry70Stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    West Monroe, La
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD Tacoma
    Good idea on relocation of the control box! Now the thief will just steal your truck:D:eek:

You do know that the head on your winch can be turned (Clocked) correct? Not trying to insult your intelligence, some people just don't know, I didn't before yesterday when I got to reading about installing this bumper.

11. Apr 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    No worries. You are correct on the clocking. I was unaware of that at the time unfortunately and was too anxious to get it all installed I guess. I was actually pretty surprised the 9.0 RC was 90degree offset from the ARB bumper mounts. So I guess it seemed 2nd nature to just weld on some scrap metal and thought I was pretty smart... find out later I could have changed the head around. Duh!

Anyway the Warn 9.0 RC is a great winch. Light weight, and fast. I've used mine tons to rescue other Tacos (so far haven't needed a self-recovery).

True, ha ha, now they will steal the truck. Don't think I don't worry about that. Actually thinking of picking up an old rough Toyota pickup as a trail-head vehicle. I've been broken into quite a few times.

12. Apr 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM
    inesshell

inesshell blah blah blah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All stock Superwhite 10' AC
    you dont have to cut the liners. I zip tied mine to the support for the lights

13. Apr 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    Barry70Stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    West Monroe, La
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD Tacoma
    That's what I did too. There just aren't any other options, cut it or zip tie it up. Neither seem like good options though!

14. Apr 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    bluedegeon

bluedegeon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR ACLB 4WD
    I zipped tied my fender lines as well. Holding up well and they're not in the way or visible unless you're actually looking up into the fender well.

Products Discussed in

To Top