1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension upgrade, maintain near stock height

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Speck, May 2, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Speck

Speck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    Hi all, standard disclaimer here... sorry about the 10000th suspension upgrade thread. I did search this site and others.

I have a 2007 4 cyl 4x4 with a camper shell. On a recent trip I hit the bumper stops numerous times, with only a minimal load in back (plus camper shell weight of course). Looking at my rear leafs, they are pretty much flat, and it doesn't look like they ever got the TSB. I can see a little clean area where the bumper was making contact. I'm not really interested in a lift, just something that doesn't bottom out, and maintains stock rake for towing and loading the bed. I could do something like a 5100 at 0.85 up front if an upgraded rear would lift the rear a small amount. Will keep stock tire size.

What should I do? I am well past the TSB window, and they are really $ anyway. Most threads talk about adding 2" or more lift, or leveling, which I don't need/want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. May 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    if you want to maintain your stock height you could add airbags in the rear for the extra weight. If you don't want to go that route you could do 5100s @.85 up front and a 1.5" progressive add a leaf pack (wheelers sells a good one I hear) with 5100s in the rear.

3. May 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I'm looking at the hellwig leafs for support. I haul firewood, a utility trailers and a camper. They will add a little height and make the truck ride more like a truck (i've heard) but they get good reviews. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

4. May 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    Speck

Speck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    Thanks for the quick response. So (pardon my ignorance) I can literally buy the one leaf an add it to my existing 3 pack? Are mine shot or just too weak?

Would the rear 5100s be set at 0? So I might not need to upgrade rear shocks if they are still good? I guess its something good to do anyway while I'm at it.

5. May 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    All second gen tacomas have weak or soft springs in the rear. You can add a leaf yourself. Or get helper springs, that will work also. And they are cheap

6. May 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    Joe Cook

Joe Cook Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport DCLB
    AVH4000NEX, JL 500/5, Hybrid Audio components, JL 10TW3, Raam Audio sound deadening Access Lorado tonneau cover, Heated mirror mod
    I just installed the Hellwig helper springs. I have an 06 DCLB, 139k miles, never had the TSB. I was noticing some sloppiness and sagging with little weight in the back (old battery and 2 sets of gold clubs). I popped the Hellwigs in and gained just over 1/2" in height. Easy to install, just a bit of a bitch to get the truck high enough when jacking from the frame!

7. May 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    I put firestone ride rite air bags on mine. Same factory ride empty with 5 lbs of air. Haul wood on trailer at about 15 lbs of air...truck sits level.

8. May 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    My double-cab Tacoma would bottom out with an empty bed over railroad tracks and big bumps, so I got Firestone Ride Rite air bags. They're easy to install at home and if you plumb each air bag separate from the other, you can level your truck front to rear and side to side. I keep a small bike pump in the truck and I can adjust them from 5 to 50 + PSI with 10-15 pumps per side. The part number for a 2nd gen 6 lug Tacoma is 2407 and it comes with everything you need.

9. May 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    clc clc

clc clc Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 reg cab tacoma/2020 subaru crosstrek
    I have a 2012 and my rear leafs look like yours. I'm thinking of putting in a new leaf pack and upgrading the shocks. Right now my leafs clack together at the smallest of bumps.

Products Discussed in

To Top