1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SuperSpring install and review

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cntstan, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Aug 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I needed something for carrying heavier loads and towing so I decided to try the Supersprings. I know there are different options (airbags, roadmaster, etc.) but I decided to go this route first. Anyway.... here's how it went.

Tools you will need:
    (2) 3/4" wrenches
    (2) 1/2" wrenches
    (1) C-Clamp

[​IMG]

Step 1
    Raise rear of vehicle and remove tires.

Step 2
    Loosen but don't remove the 4 U-bolt nuts that hold down the bump stop. Remove rubber bump stop. Re-tighten 4 U-bolt nuts.

[​IMG]

Step 3
    Place mounting block between the factory U-bolts with the open ends perpendicular to the vehicle direction. Place the hole in the bottom of the mounting block over the bolt in the factory spring pack. Tap mounting block into position.

[​IMG]

Decide which side you want to do first, keeping in mind that each spring can work on either side but there is a front and a back. The spring eye and roller bolts should be thread outward. Slide the spring in from the rear and position it above the mounting block with the short 90 degree shackle to the rear.

Step 4
    Ensure all brake cables are routed clear out of the way of the Supersprings blades; slight repositioning or the addition of a zip tie should help. Select either the upper or lower bolt hole position based on how much spring pre-load you desire. Upper hole will increase pre-load and vehicle ride height. Ensure that polypropylene (black) and steel rollers are reassembled in the shackle. Attach bolt on front with threads facing OUT.

[​IMG]

Step 5
    Use C-clamp to pull down rear shackle. Use the Upper (top) bolt hole position. This provides additional vertical clearance to the frame. Install polypropylene and steel roller assemblies and snug tighten nuts. Eye bolts of all shackles are pre-set, do not tighten or loosen these nuts.

[​IMG]

Step 6
    Slide the flat steel bar through the bottom of the supplied poly bump stop and place it on top of the spring and over the mounting block.

[​IMG]

place the other flat bar through the opening in the mounting block and bolt the 2 flat bars together with the bolts provided so that the mounting block, spring, and bump stop are all held together.

[​IMG]

Step 7
    Check final alignments. NOTE: The springs do not have to be centered on mounting block over axle. Position springs to provide rear rollers with 3/4" forward clearance from any obstacles. Recheck that no brake lines etc. will be interfered with by the vertical travel of the springs.

Step 8
    Repeat the process on the other side. According to the instructions I had, there are some cases where the muffler hanger on the passenger side may interfere and they reccomend dropping the muffler hanger attachment bracket to the lower screw position where it ataches to the frame. I did not have this problem.

Review

I have already added a leaf with my lift and was concerned that I would have a problem with the spring fitting but I had no problems. The only fitment issue I had was the metal wrap that holds the factory spring pack together in the rear wouldn't let me clamp down the rear part of the superspring all the way without really clamping down hard on the C-clamp. I finally got it down enough to get the bolt through and noticed no ill effects. Here is a before pic with a camper we borrowed that weighs approx. 4000 lbs. dry weight. Notice the sag and the fact that I couldn't lower the camper wheel stand enough to even get the wheel off the ground.

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER
    also with about 1200 lbs of gear in the trailer and the bed of my truck

[​IMG]

And finally all folded up and with a weight distributing hitch (which helps a ton!)

[​IMG]

Overall I am happy with the SuperSprings, they do stiffen the ride a good bit when not carrying a load but they also helped with the sag and sway when towing a heavier load. I thought about air bags but I have read that they can limit upward travel when going offroad. I'm not sure how these would be offroad, they seem really stiff and I think it would be a pretty hard ride going over bumpy terrain. Anyway...if your looking for something to help you carry a heavier load without bottoming out I would reccomend these.

TVH475 and Marty491 like this.
  2. Sep 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    nice...was thinking bout running the 5 lug versions on my truck...nice write up

grad3r likes this.
  3. Sep 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    very nice!! good detailed write up and pics

4. Sep 3, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    looks good, awesome write up!

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Awsome write up. Where did you buy them?

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    +1 for you. awesome write up and good pics!

7. Jul 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    jritten

jritten New Member

Member:
    Just curious as to placement of your supersprings. It looks in you pics as though you have the super springs centered slightly behind the axle, is that correct? I am installing a set on my dad's '07 tacoma, and it appears that the springs have to be centered either slightly in front of, or behind, the rear axle. Is there a benefit for one over the other? Most of the time he won't need the added suspension, but he uses his truck to haul water a few times a month, and is looking for the best increase in payload he can get...

8. Jul 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    If I remember correctly I think I tried to have the same distance between the rollers on the supersprings, and the rear spring hanger and the front spring clamp. I'll look closer in the morning to make sure.

9. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    2007tacoOldLineSt

2007tacoOldLineSt Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a response to that question, and a question of my own for supersprings users.

I picked up my set on here from douggytundra ( awesome deal, thanks again man! ) and installed them Saturday, adjusted them this morning. I will attached the pic he sent me that he received direct from the company. I had to set the springs more to the rear to clear the end of the bottom leaf and provide close to 3/4" clearance for the rollers. When centered the rear shackle was tight to the end of one of the bottom leaves, and the front was past the "clip" on the factory leaves. After viewing the file douggytundra sent me I loosened everything and slid them back so the front shackle/roller was behind that factory clip. It puts the rear roller close to the end of the leaves and a protrusion on the frame, but I have 3/4" forward clearance front and back for the roller, and about 1/2" rear clearance...but I believe they will roll in/forward with the flex not out so I think its good.

My question is, the directions say to tighten the clip holding the mounting block to the spacer over the axle. I tightened this all the way down so that the spring is held tight to the block. Should this clip be slightly loose?

Any thoughts?

SSA19 Toyota Tacoma Upfit 05' - present revdate 122007.jpg

10. May 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM
    riceburners

riceburners New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Thanks for a great write-up!

... I talked to Super Spring tech support recently. They suggest tightening down steel clamps until slightly bent.

I'm about to install these on my 08 4x4 Access cab with the 4 leaf rear spring packs...but just wanted to check what torque setting people have been using on the U-bolts after removing the factory bumper stop.

I've done a little research and found an "OME rear leaf?" thread which posted pages from a factory service manual quoting 37 ft*lbf of torque...many say this is a typo and use 73 ft*lbf. Others are giving 85-100 ft*lbf as a safe range for the U-bold size given. It would be great if someone was able to narrow this spec down. Thanks again.

Link to referenced thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/87093-u-bolt-torque.html

11. May 26, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    to be safe, the lowest id go would be 80 ft lbs. if i remember correctly i torqued mine down to 90 ft. lbs (i have upgraded ubolts though)

12. May 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    riceburners

riceburners New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Thanks hedlesbrmstkbass for the speedy response.

You were spot on!...just got confirmation from the tech at Toyota who installed my 4 leaf rear suspension upgrade. He torqued factory U-bolts to 90 ft*lbf.

He also said factory U-bolts do not need re-torque at intervals (i.e. @200 mi then @500 mi). I may do it at least once just to be on the safe side.

13. Sep 28, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    KootenayCadalac

KootenayCadalac New Member

Member:

14. Sep 28, 2016 at 7:45 AM
    KootenayCadalac

KootenayCadalac New Member

Member:
    I am having issues with the front driver side shackle hitting the frame and side of gas tank when loaded. Any advice on placement for proper clearance?

15. Aug 28, 2017 at 7:10 AM
    Marty491

Marty491 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Charcoal Tacoma TRD
    Shell

Very important note there, thank you for adding it. I had put these on my F150 many years ago and they went on centered. I could not make them work centered on my Tacoma. Once I saw your pictures and this note, I tried again and they went right on!

Thank you for the excellent write-up!

16. Mar 15, 2024 at 1:09 PM
    grad3r

grad3r Member

Member:
    I was looking for installation instructions for 5 lug and pictures,but no luck. Anyone can help me?

Products Discussed in

To Top