1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the..?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by D.Holliday, May 1, 2014.

1. May 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    D.Holliday

D.Holliday [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport SR5 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover|Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD|3" Revtek Lift w/AAL|Pro Comp 7069|285x70r17 Federal Couragia MT's|Extra D-Rings Mod|Anzo Black Headlights|Corbra 75 CB w/3' Cobra Antenna & 4' Firestix Antenna|DTRL's Mod|L.A. Angels Sticker Mod|Smoked Aftermarket Tail lights
    So, here's the story... I have had my Tacoma for roughly 2 years now, and the directional/temperature display has never worked. I bought my Tacoma used at a lot and never knew if that was standard or an option. Today I came home after a visit to Jiffy Lube and where they typically check the pressure of the tires they failed to fill them accurately so I had the low inflation light on my dash. I came home to fill up my tires (aftermarket tires) and filled them a little more then I typically air them up. I get into my truck to clear the warning light and Wah-Lah! The directional/temperature display is now working and burning bright..

So here's my ridiculous question, does the tire sensors some how tie into the trucks computer and it somehow kick started the display to work again since I was at a more proper tire pressure? I know, stupid question, it just seemed odd to me. Anyone else have their display just randomly pop on after a lengthy time? Does Jiffy Lube have a way of play with a trucks ECU that corrected this? :confused:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. May 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    D.Holliday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Extang Trifecta Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover|Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD|3" Revtek Lift w/AAL|Pro Comp 7069|285x70r17 Federal Couragia MT's|Extra D-Rings Mod|Anzo Black Headlights|Corbra 75 CB w/3' Cobra Antenna & 4' Firestix Antenna|DTRL's Mod|L.A. Angels Sticker Mod|Smoked Aftermarket Tail lights
    I guess I always figured it was just busted. I've never been great with electronics so I never figured I should be playing around with it. If it goes out again or the sensor gets "jiggled" out of place, I'll be sure to give it a look on here and hopefully make it a quick fix. Glad I didn't pay money if its a quick and easy fix! It was on my to-do list.. :rolleyes:

Thanks man!

3. May 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    D.Holliday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand my display went out again. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Its got to be either the electrical harness or re-soldering the resistor broken end. Haven't looked at it yet, but I haven't soldered much so hoping its not that, though I plan to look at it tonight and see what I can do.

Thanks again for letting me know about the DIY fix. It gives me a better idea now!

4. May 2, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    there is a 50ohm resistor (square),that is famous for going out. there is a thread in here on how to fix, its real easy. or find someone you know that can solder and they can do it. I did mine twice, then went to frys and bought some there, its been working fine for over 2 years.

5. May 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    D.Holliday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I have absolutely no soldering experience but tonight after working up the gonads decided to give it a shot. I went off the thread that you and Beavis are both referring to and took the overhead console apart. To be honest the 510 resistors didn't even look to be disconnected or out of place. I decided to risk it and try to solder them anyways, what did I have to lose? After reconnecting the wire harness it is now showing the temp and directional display again. I didn't solder much due to lack of experience but I hope that this will do the trick... at least until I can get more experience in the art of soldering. :D

Thanks for the response!

6. May 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yeah...common problem in these trucks. My husband works with electronics and makes circuit boards. When he looked at mine - he couldn't believe how bad the quality was. His trained eye could see cracks in the solder just about everywhere (I couldn't see them). He touched up what he could reach...(and see).

He called it ..."Must have been a low bidder"

7. May 3, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    Ken b

Ken b Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Surprise, Az
    Vehicle:
    14 offroad 4x4
    ARE shell, bedrug, TRD wheels
    Just Google the internet for soldering tips. Lots of videos. I was a circuit card repair tech. The basics are easy. a little flux is always the key to success

8. May 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    D.Holliday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:

I hear you, that's what it looks like since I've been reading up on it, seems a lot of people have been having this issue. I soldered as best I could working on it last night, I don't think I did as solid of a job as probably someone with experience working on circuit boards but I hope it'll last me longer then a few months. I may go back in and hit it one more time in the future just to make sure this wont be an issue again. I appreciate the insight!

9. May 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    D.Holliday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Werd. I googled a few videos and looked up some tips on YouTube (after the mini operation), I believe what made it difficult for me last night was I was using a larger/thicker size soldering wire instead of a thinner wire which made it a bit messier too. It did the job thankfully but next time I'll be more mindful of this. Live and learn I guess. Thanks!

10. May 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    i'll just leave this here... :rolleyes:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6KY6rrqYU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  11. May 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    D.Holliday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:

Annnnnnnnd note to self. Thanks for the heads up! I guess it can potentially happen anywhere but I'm glad I can be more aware of what's going on in the places I particularly use. I'm always a little concerned these issues exist and try to stay on top of them with checking behind the service work done and what's printed off on my receipts. Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top