1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed rack idea

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrFunker, May 6, 2014.

1. May 6, 2014 at 5:10 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been searching (mostly here) for ideas about bed racks.
    I have an idea that I would like to have feedback from or to hear from someone who has maybe done this already so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I am looking for the best way to have it all really. Want to keep the rack low enough to get bikes/kayak/surfboard on easily and have the capability to maybe add a cargo basket or RTT later on. All with keeping access to a roll up or trifold tonneau.

My thinking = a convertible bed rack based on the tacoma roof rack idea, but beefier. So two arms, on some sort of swivel, that would be able to be locked away (or used - maybe side bike racks) when not crossing the bed. My thoughts go to the rack that Adam from Armor Tech did with the circular mounts for the service guy.
    [​IMG]

What do you think the possibilities are of this flying?

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  2. May 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    braik

braik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4.0L 4x4 BASE
    2" Ironman 4x4 (B) Front Spacer Level LR UCAs Level 8: Tracker Wheels 255/75 Cooper ATPs Welded Rock Sliders Weathertech floormats Wet Okole seat covers JVC Head Unit Diff Breather Mod Zip Tie Mod Needle Bearing Mod HID Retrofit (Acura TL-R)
    I don't know man. First you'd have to reduce your drag to get it within the limits of the Lift Coefficient. And that would be super hard to do since the Tacoma isn't known for being aerodynamic at all. Plus you'd have to worry about all the weight (since it's a truck after all) and steering once you left the ground (if you can even get up enough speed to do so!) The wings would have to be MASSIVE, and definitely not road legal.

Long story short, I don't think it's very likely that you're going to be able to get your Tacoma off the ground period, much less fly it anywhere.

3. May 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    Damn it.....I was wondering why no one was chiming in on this idea - I confused everyone.
    Sorry....

Yeah, not looking to fly a tacoma (...yet. Maybe after the rack is built).

4. May 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    braik

braik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4.0L 4x4 BASE
    2" Ironman 4x4 (B) Front Spacer Level LR UCAs Level 8: Tracker Wheels 255/75 Cooper ATPs Welded Rock Sliders Weathertech floormats Wet Okole seat covers JVC Head Unit Diff Breather Mod Zip Tie Mod Needle Bearing Mod HID Retrofit (Acura TL-R)
    I was just messing with you, it's pretty clear what you want. I just have no experience in that area so I make jokes instead ;)

5. May 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    DrFunker

Member:
    No harm done.
    I appreciate the creativity and that is what this project needs. I am sure that the Wright bros. had some of that too.

Products Discussed in

To Top