1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

questions about buying a truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by torqboy, May 6, 2014.

1. May 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    torqboy

torqboy [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello everyone. New member here and first post. There's an '08 reg cab 4x4 5spd manual that I'm interested in. It has 36k on it, 1 owner and drives good. Few things though. There is some rust on the frame, mostly on the welds and some here and there. The truck was jerking while in 4x4 when making turns in a parking lot. Coolant overflow looked low (almost empty) and has never been flushed.

My questions are:
    1. Is frame rust a problem on 2nd gen trucks?
    2. Could jerking while turning in 4x4 be a problem?
    3. Are there any issues with the cooling system on the 4 cyl?

Sorry if my post isn't following some forum rules and if these are common questions. I was hoping that you guys can give me some quick answers about this truck before I decide to buy. Thanks in advance.

2. May 6, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    4x4s jerk on dry pavement, you shouldn't do that. Keep 4x4 for slick roads and off road.

No issues with coolant on I4, the interval is 120K.

3. May 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    While in 4 wheel drive were you on pavement or dirt parking lot? On pavement that's normal.

4. May 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    Making turns in 4WD on a dry pavement will bind the 4WD system and possibly damage it. You will find some rust spots on any truck frame 6years old driven on salted winter roads. There are no coolant issues with the 4cyl that I am aware of. Just flush the system with new red Toyota antifreeze. Sounds like a good find.

5. May 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    be very careful on low radiator overflow bottle. Make sure there isn't a leak in the system or worse, a head gasket problem. The coolant should be at normal level. Wouldn't necessarily be flushed at this point.
    One test is to start the vehicle, and watch for any bubbles in the overflow bottle which could indicate exhaust gasses being pushed into the cooling system. If you remove (cold) the radiator cap and it's low, be suspicious.

6. May 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Puretac

Puretac Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    A little frame rust is normal on any vehicle but the 2nd Gens don't have a great track record. From what I've read and heard, it is because the frames were outsourced and coated with a wax compound compared to a system that seals and prevents rust. However, I wouldn't let this alone determine whether or not you purchase the truck. Like anything, it depends on how well you take care of it.

7. May 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  8. May 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    torqboy

torqboy [OP] Member

Member:
    The truck is from the Oregon coast and supposedly has not been driven on salted roads. I was a bit disappointed to find rust spots on the frame.

I asked the seller if we could check the 4x4 and he said anywhere would be fine, so I made a few turns in a dry parking lot at low speed. The seller also said that he'd hardly ever used the 4x4.

Guess I will have to look into the low coolant level issue. Bad HG would be a major bummer.

It's a nice truck but I'm just not sure about the small reg cab. Have to think it over. Thanks again for your help!

9. May 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    Yeah 4x4 turning on dry pavement makes the axles bind since the tires on the inside of the turn rotate slower than the tires on the outside of the turn and is generally a bad thing that can cause expensive damage.

If I engage 4x4 on paved roads I only do it when traveling in a straight line or take my turns very very wide/gentle and disengage the system when pulling into parking spots.

Edit: As far as the rust goes if it's surface rust it's fine but if it's going through any place or more than light surface rust I'd personally pass on the vehicle as some earlier year 2nd gens still had rust issues.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  10. May 7, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    That sounds like a heck of a find though. You don't find hardly any around here with regular cab, 5 speed, 4x4 and with very low miles. Perfect for a utility/weekend vehicle or daily driver too if the regular cab meets your needs. I'm kind of jealous.

11. May 7, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    i wouldn't worry about the rust. If you are there are ways to mitigate it, but some rust is completely normal. Sounds like a cool truck if the price is right.

Products Discussed in

To Top