1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tom Woods Drive Shaft Information

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bw4706, May 7, 2014.

1. May 7, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    This is some information I received from Tom Woods about their Drive Shafts.
    Hope it helps solve some driveline vibration issues.

Please keep the following in mind:

Vibration problems with the Toyota Tacoma are common even on unmodified vehicles and especially so on those with a lift kit. I wish I had a “one size fits all” solution. The truth of the matter is; we have had mixed results with any version we would send out. Should you purchase one of our drive shaft and it does not meet your expectations, you may return within 30 days for a full, product purchase, refund.

With that said. We have two options available. A conventional, 2 joint drive shaft or a double cardan (CV) drive shaft. As a general consensus, the conventional two joint seems to work well in most vehicles having up to 3" of lift. In vehicles with greater lifts, the double cardan seems to work best.

With a conventional two joint drive shaft you need to keep the output of the transfer case & the pinion parallel within 1 degree.

To use a CV drive shaft, you will want to pitch the differential so that the pinion points directly at the output of the transfer case (maintaining 3 degrees, or less, a joint angle at the differential end).

The conventional two joint drive shaft is $389.00. The double cardan is $469.00. Once you place the order, your drive shaft will ship the following business day. We pay freight, UPS Ground, Lower 48 States. However we do add on a $10.00 packaging charge. With other delivery areas or shipping methods, there would be additional freight charges.

If this is something you will want, I will need some measurements per the attached art. Please provide the B &C dimensions on the flange from each end of the drive shaft and a length measurement.

If you have other questions or would like to place an order, it may be best to call. Our Toll Free US # is 1-877-497-4238. Our worldwide telephone # is 1-801-737-0757. Hours of operation are 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Mountain Time Zone. (GMT - 7 hours) Monday through Friday.

Thank you,

Tom Wood
    Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts LLC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. May 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    For what it's worth, I had ordered a set of Tom Woods shafts when I was building my YJ about 12 years ago. I had to do it all in stages so I chose to swap my stock motor, tranny and tcase first, then axles and suspension at a later date. The new drivetrain was a fairly stock LT4, SM 465, and a built& flipped Dana 300. Tom knew the exact setup that his shafts were going into at the time, and I had no worries about the new shafts spinning completely stock D30& D35 with 38" TSL's(I did worry about the axles). Well, the rear shaft lasted a grand total of about two weeks before it twisted in half at the splines. Upon calling Tom Woods to see what they would be willing to do about it I was told that the shaft must have been "abused" and they would not do anything about it. At the time I assumed that buying a reputable shops shafts and putting them in front of the stockers would be a non issue, but that was not the case. Since then I've had a local shop build my shafts and actually warranty them knowing that they do take a hell of alot of abuse spinning 42 TSL's on tons. I know there are always two sides to the story and I wish I knew his, but paying that much for shafts that were evidently sub-par was a pretty big hit to a 20 year old scraping money together to keep a DD on the road. Sorry for the rant, but I'd make them spell out a "warranty" to you before you deal them. My $.02.

3. May 7, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    Doesn't sound like a rant. The purpose of the post is to give everone as much information we can find to help each other out. All comments are useful in one way or another. The more info we have , the better off we are.

Products Discussed in

To Top