1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WHY INSTALL LIFT KIT YOURSELF WHEN IT'S CHEAP?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TXTaco13, May 1, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    When I got my first car, a pos 86 grand am, I couldn't afford to have anyone else fix it. I had a coffee can full of "spare" bolts but that thing taught me everything I know about vehicles.

Now, wrenching is theraputic. Everytime I wrench on something new, I learn something new and get a sence of accomplishment. Knowing where every bolt goes, how each part interacts with each other, gives me the ability to diagnose problems and fix them when I cannot afford to have someone else fix my stuff.

That mentality works in all aspects of life. I cannot tell you the number of times I've had to make late night runs to the hardware store to fix a dishwasher, water heater, furnace, etc.

2. May 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    agrees

3. May 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Good price.

Nobody touches my truck, unless I need an alignment.

4. May 4, 2014 at 1:53 AM
    illmatyk

illmatyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yigo,Guam
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    For me, working on cars and trucks is my hobby. $300 for labor to have parts installed isn't bad BUT is it going to be up to your standards or how you would want it? It was mentioned earlier in the thread "you get what you pay for".

Best advice I would give, if you have a couple of buddies that are down to help you and teach you, take that $300 and invest in some tools and learn to do the install. You will have some fun and learn something new.

5. May 4, 2014 at 3:07 AM
    JSL

JSL Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Clarkdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma supercharged
    Ive saved my self thousands doing my own auto repair. It usually gives me a reason to purchase new tools with the wifes blessing and i know the job was done right. I used to be a tech for chrysler and was ashamed at some of the cars so called mechanics would let roll out of their bays. 300 dollars is extremely cheap. Around here that would pay for about 3 hrs labor so consider yourself warned.

6. May 4, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    tam

tam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tam
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reasons to steal my truck...
    Icon Ext. Travel C/O, TC UCA, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, CF hood, Glass bedsides, Doug Thorley cat-back, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16
    There's always the "built not bought" mentality. There's the knowledge gained from doing the install/knowing how everything works in case anything goes awry. The satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. You know the quality of the work. You can also spend the money you save to buy more tools/more upgrades. Like someone else said, $300 ain't cheap for everyone.

And my favorite reason when someone asks why I do something...

...because fuck you, that's why. :humble:

7. May 4, 2014 at 4:08 AM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    Everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head. Why pay money, even if its just a little bit, if you dont have to? And just because you think they will take responsibilty for the damage doesnt mean they will if something goes wrong. if its 4WP then there will be loop holes. Plus there is nothing like having a beer with all the guys doing a mod day.

8. May 8, 2014 at 12:56 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 [OP] Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    One reason, and one reason only. NO LIFT! Cutting out the bolts for the UCA's and flipping them around, dropping the rear end for the leaf pack...you get the idea. That turns into a freaking ordeal with a floor jack/jack stands. I could do it myself, but in the grand scheme of things, it really boils down to time/money. For that cheap of an install price, why not? I was in a bad motorcycle wreck several years ago, and to me, it's worth $300 for someone else to do it. I get get what you are saying though.

9. May 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    x2
    No way in hell do I have enough money to pay a shop $300 or more to do something I can do in my driveway and with a day of time.

10. May 8, 2014 at 1:03 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Not bad at all, I replaced my leafs with 2 jack stands, 1 floor jack, 1 ratchet strap, 2 torque wrenches (3/8ths and 1/2'') and a basic tool kit.
    [​IMG]

11. May 8, 2014 at 1:05 AM
    TXTaco13

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    That price was with bringing the parts in. With that price, it's pretty tempting. All it really is is popping in a leaf pack, shocks and swapping front shocks with coilovers. Installing a lift with jack stands/floor jack is a pain, especially with a back issue.

12. May 8, 2014 at 1:07 AM
    Mudfinger

Mudfinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lefty
    Long Beach, California
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Shorty 3.4L 4x4
    I'm competent enough to do the work myself. Saves loot, and I always know the mechanic is going to do his best. :)

13. May 8, 2014 at 1:15 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Your money, do what you want. I'd rather do my own work.

14. May 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM
    TXTaco13

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    I'm just saying man, it can become cumbersome doing "suspension work" in a garage with floor jacks and jack stands. I did a SOA conversion on my CJ that was a PITA. Sure, you save some cash, but it really equates to what a shop is wanting to charge, if they are reputable, and if that is worth it or not time wise. I think it is also dependent on how technical it is, and it's always nice to have a warranty if it is a very complicated repair or install. I'm all for having a couple cold ones with the guys doing an install, but depending on how many cold ones every one has, it can effect the install process and quality of install! :D

15. May 8, 2014 at 1:58 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    I had a guy here in S.C. quote me $350, including alignment, to install my OME kit, ATO shackle flip and LR UCA's. I really want to do the install myself. I just have to find the time to do it (and a buddy with a lift would really help too). I like the sense of accomplishment that goes along with working on something. Still on the fence about the install, but I believe I can do it. I did install the lift on my TJ.

16. May 8, 2014 at 2:03 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    I was in many bike wrecks and have had two back surgeries. I installed my midtravel lift by myself just a couple months out of my second back surgery. Just 2 jack stands and a floor jack. It only takes 10 seconds to cut the head off a UCA bolt with a sawzall. Also I have heard many horror stories and witnessed the damage and sloppiness of 4wheel parts "professional" installs. OEM hardware replaced with homedepot grade bolts, cross threaded bolts, hacked up skid plates to fit a useless diff drop... I will never take my truck there. Might differ depending on location, but ours sucks.

17. May 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    I did a full front and rear lift with new OME springs out back alone in my garage. I got immense satisfaction from going it alone and being successful. Looking back the rear was a beast with the diff trying to escape out the garage. And man handling 60 lb springs with a moving diff trying to watch brake lines and what not wasn't fun. I could have used a hand there, and maybe a few ideas for keeping it in check. I had straps and a second set of stands that could have been useful in hindsight. I was in the garage for 13 hours and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. VICTORY!

All of the money I save doing my own work is college money for my son, and maybe a new gun here and there just to scratch that itch. Hello Sig 938..S&W Governor...Undecided 1911.

Damn I'm itchy...

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  18. May 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I would pay 4wheel parts NOT to touch my truck.

If you install it you learn how to work on it which is invaluable should you break down in the middle of nowhere.

19. May 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Anyone have the picture of the kids truck where the shop installed his AAL on top of the leaf pack?

20. May 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Sounds like you have a medical reason to farm out the work and you have done your own risk/reward analysis which is fine. When i lifted my taco i had a fleet of buddies ready to help and bought beer and was ready to buy lunch..... well we started at 8am and was done by noon all stareing at the truck saying "thats it"?? These trucks are really easy to do suspension work on and really require no "professional" input. The only jobs i farm out are alignments (although im going to try it msyelf using the instructions on here since all the shops around here are brain dead morons and cant do it correctly) and exsaust work because its a PITA, not hard just not worth the effort to do it msyelf.

Products Discussed in

To Top