1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got my Tacoma! First mods and questions...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by F250, May 11, 2014.

1. May 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    F250

F250 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCLB
    So I just picked up the Tacoma in my user pic above Friday night.
    2010 double cab long bed, pyrite mica, 4wd. I've been reading on here for a while and I'm enjoying the wealth of info. I had a couple of questions before I start dropping money on it though.

I have already removed the mudflaps, ordered front and rear weathertech liners, and turned off that terrible seatbelt chime.

Few questions...
    1) seat covers, Ive seen really mixed reviews of coverking on here....trying to decide between coverking and wet okole for the front seats. Is there really that much of a difference between them?

2) rear leaf springs: the tsb has not been done and I will be hauling some medium weight trailers and some loads in the bed. Not really interested in lifting it very much in the long run, and I will most likely never run any tire larger than 265's. Would an AAL kit be enough for me or would the truck handle weight better if I spent a little more on a 1.5 or 2" lift rear leaf pack?

3) I'm noticing a little bit of a harsh bounce when I go over bumps in the road, with 72k miles could that simply be worn out shocks? From what I've read I'm thinking bilstien 5100's might be a good option for me in the front. Should I consider replacing rear shocks as well?

Apart from those things, I love the truck, drives great, and I think its going to be a much needed upgrade from my previous work truck. I'm really excited to be joining the taco world!

Previous work truck...had 318k miles on it and was starting to give me serious problems. Also sucked diesel like crazy.
    du3e4epy_937e4a935c3698d1a6d6713d0a84211baebb4bfc.jpg

New truck!
    taqa4a2u_d06a42e11bae9869a043c7de2fc246da1bc9bb43.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. May 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Congrats!

3. May 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    1) Love my Wet Okoles. I don't know anything about coverkings.

2) My truck hasn't had the rear leaf TSB; it's stock and I don't off-road with it because I have ATVs for that purpose. Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags have done the trick for me. I run them day to day with 10 psi and adjust when I'm gonna haul anything.

3) My truck has that bounce, always has. It's amplified when I have my heavy LT Summer tires on with 50 lbs of air to keep from wearing them out fast and sucking my MPGs down. I think you might be feeling the difference in ride between a full size truck and a mid-size. :notsure:

Welcome to TW and enjoy your new truck! :)

4. May 11, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    After having the non tsb pack, the tsb pack, and now an aal in my tsb pack with new leafs on order. If you ever plan to haul, upgrade your pack. If you don't want any lift, look at the Wheelers hd pack.
    And welcome :wave:

5. May 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    F250

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    MQQSE, I've wondered if it was just because this truck is lighter and smaller....I'm used to driving around in a 3 ton truck with aired up 305 E rated tires. It makes sense thats at least part of the reason I'm noticing something now.

I had considered air bags but I'd prefer something simpler and closer to stock....

Skidooman I'll look into the wheelers pack thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the welcome!

I've decided on wet okoles for the fronts at least. May do something cheaper for the rear seats later on, we''ll see.

6. May 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

Pretty much everything Rob said.

If you do decide to replace your shocks 5100's are a good direction to go. I would go all around also if you do it.

Welcome to the site and get ready to un-ass some money on things you didn't even know you needed. :)

7. May 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    F250

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

I just towed a Toro dingo (1500 lbs plus the trailer) with the truck this morning and I was pleasantly surprised how well it did. It just leveled out the truck and it pulled up hills nicely...not fast, but no problems.

Pics of my truck working coming tomorrow when I take the dingo back!

Products Discussed in

To Top