1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All-Pro long travel vs. Icon long travel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dahigi, May 11, 2014.

1. May 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    Dahigi

Dahigi [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2005 Short Bed TRD-OR Taco
    I'm a first time Taco owner, and have decided its time for some upgrading. I have searched and found a couple of posts related to alllpro and icon, but none answered my questions.

I want to do a long travel conversion and I want to know whether or not it's much better to replace both the upper control arms AND the lowers with extended arms as in the Allpro kit? Or is there not much difference between that and just doing the UCA as in the Icon kit? I understand the benefit of having a wider track along with greater travel, but why doesn't the Icon kit replace the LCA's if they are claiming to have the best products in the industry? My gut is saying spend the extra money and go with all-pro. Any suggestions?

Also, are the fox shocks that all pro sells comparable to the Icon shocks? I am looking for the ability to soak up the terrain, but still get benefit driving around town. I have read on here there isn't much a difference between Icon, Fox and King as far as drivability, but just trying to decide with more information.
    Thanks

image.jpg

2. May 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Reeves

Reeves Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    The Icon is more of a Mid-Travel rather than the All Pro is a Long travel.

3. May 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    All pro is long travel arms. Icon makes stock length UCA and shocks. They do make a long travel shock. But that needs to be paired with the AllPro kit or Camburg or Total Chaos kit.

4. May 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM
    Dahigi

Dahigi [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that, what's your opinions on shocks then? The shocks on all pros website seem to be more hardcore "racing" shocks.... Is this assumption correct? I intend to hit the trails pretty frequently, but it is also my daily driver.... Any suggestions there? I apologize for my newish-ness.

5. May 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    DeSean Thick

DeSean Thick TuRD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    read through this first.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lo...-considering-long-travel-read-here-first.html
    Upgrading to long travel is a massive investment and not for everyone. If you're certain that's the route you want to go, you'll find this helpful. A lot more people here do Mid-travel setups which are plenty to handle the kind of driving they do. There are lots of different ways to go about getting a mid travel suspension so you can tailor it to fit your budget.
    First decide what kind of wheeling you want to do, and then search through the massive number of threads here to figure out what will best suit your needs. Good luck!

6. May 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    Dahigi

Dahigi [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Definately opened my eyes...perhaps LT may not be right for me. But are you saying the "Icon stage 4" package is mid travel? Maybe that would be the best bet for me.... I didn't really intend on going full on balls to the walls with new fenders and everything. Would the icon pack work well with 33" tires? I'm going to get a new front bumper to eliminate the rubbing that I get while in reverse. But if i can get away with the icon package that would save me a lot of $$$ and still give me better than stock performance right?

Products Discussed in

To Top