1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012+ CAI

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by firetaco18, May 13, 2014.

1. May 13, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    firetaco18

firetaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I recently found out information regarding cold air intakes not fitting in 2012+ models that fit in the 2005-2011. The air pump is in the way of putting in the filter box. This seemed apparent but I still figured that a TRD or Volant CAI would fit regardless.

I am interested in getting a CAI for the '13 but I don't want to relocate, trim, remove, or warranty-void any more than I have to. So is there an aftermarket CAI out there that fits in there and still has good reviews? (not some ebay turbocharged, mpg boosting crap).

I figure this is old news to some people but I hope putting this out there helps someone from buying the wrong CAI like I have almost done. I was a click away from dropping $$$ on a TRD CAI on CL.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 13, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    smaldo76

smaldo76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Clover, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black Baja
    TRD BOOST afe intake, doug throrley headers, predator step bars
    Try AFE cold air intake with the dry filter, it works great for me.

3. May 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    What a lot of guys are running...no major issues or CEL's with this CAI..Amazon best price @ $355.00. Comes with the smog relocate bracket...pretty much plug-n-play..
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRHXCTA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. May 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Good stuff thanks!

5. May 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I just bough that one straight from the factory. Several sellers would not sell to me because I live in communist CA and the AFE CAI is not CARB certified. I spoke with Vicky and Terry at AFE and they were awesome. They said that they sell to CA no problem and the AFE has submitted the application for CARB compliance, so they are waiting to get that from CA. When the system becomes CARB approved, they will send you a CARB sticker. Until then, I am just going to run it until I have to get the truck smogged, then swap it back to stock. AFE has AWESOME customer service.
    Just my two cents.
    Ken

6. May 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    TurdTaco13

TurdTaco13 cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Abq
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4x4
    6" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Addicts, 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with turndown after the axle, AFE Stage 2 CAI
  7. May 29, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    CB3TACO

CB3TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Connecticut
    2nd Gen DCLB SOLD 3rd Gen SW DCLB OFFROAD
    Any updates on 05-11 fitting in a 12-14. there is a great priced one on craigslist now, but i dont want to buy something that wont fit!

8. May 29, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    JTS2016TACO

JTS2016TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM 4x4 TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    See my build thread in my signature
    It wont because of the smog bracket

9. Jun 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    TurdTaco13

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Abq
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4x4
    6" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Addicts, 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with turndown after the axle, AFE Stage 2 CAI
    I just installed this thing on my truck today and was pretty appalled at the horrible instructions that skipped steps here and there, as well as the piss poor fit and finish of the kit.

I've used AFE intakes on 3 BMW's I've owned and they were all perfect, so I'm not sure why the Taco gets the shaft from them.

The nipple for the vacuum line didn't hardly want to screw in because the threads were a wreck, the foam that is supposed to seal the box up against the stock intake hole in the fender is a joke, holes didn't line up all over the place, etc., etc.

I'm really quite disappointed in AFE for churning this garbage out. Especially since I KNOW what they're capable of!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

10. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    My only complaint about the AFE and yes it is a BIG JOKE considering the gap is 1"-2"..... so pathetic IMO.

11. Jun 2, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Did you use extra foam to seal up the filter box.....and what holes did you have problem with....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Well with that review, you have saved me a few hundred dollars. Thank you. I actually like negative reviews so I don't buy more crap.

13. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    TurdTaco13

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Abq
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4x4
    No, my gaps aren't ANYWHERE near as big as the 1" to 2" Lord Helmet mentioned. I've got maybe 1/8" to 1/4" gap in a couple of spots. Not enough to feel that it's impacting performance in a negative manner, just enough to irk me. ;)

It's possible I got a lemon as far as the fit is concerned, as I've NEVER experienced this kind of thing from AFE. K&N, Airraid, yes, but not AFE.

If you're truly interested in it, I say pick one up, install it, and see how it goes. If it sucks, send it back. If it works, keep it.

It definitely sounds incredible and feels like the truck is a smidge peppier with it installed. YMMV though. :D

14. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    Bolting mine on this weekend...letcha' kno....!!

15. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    NCtaco914

NCtaco914 MALLIN'CRAWLIN'

Member:
    First Name:
    NEIL
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD O/R
    Im going urd on my 13'. I cant stand the way the smog pump is relocated on top of the air box. I feel like its the only option for a clean intake on the 12's & up

16. Jun 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    Well I installed my aFe CAI today, all went well, except the brass nipple threads hard to get started, and tighten, and Rubber/Foam intake inlet doesn't even touch the fender towards the front...about 1/2 to 3/4" inch gap...doesn't seem to affect performance any(only been driving today tho)..actually feels like the Blower is a bit stronger...Probably will get some xtra foam to fill in gaps....pretty weak on aFe's part, they had to of known about this fitment issue with Newer Tacomas...oh..and dont even try to call any of the numbers in the directions for support, or even sales.."Mailbox is not set up...Good-Bye" is what I got.....Had to email them about my situation...no response yet.
    Looks bad ass tho..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top