1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Otrattw quick question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by triplejjj, May 13, 2014.

1. May 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    triplejjj

triplejjj [OP] Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    LoPro QT, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liners, ScanGauge, WeatherTech Deflectors, Drop in Billet Grill, Train Horns, PanoFlex Window Tint, Viper Alarm, Remote Start, Console Vault,
    I need a little help from you all that'll know better than I. I am installing a
    Otrattw horn switch and I just need to know the easiest OR the best way to power the led in it so it works from the dimmer I guess. Independent led BTW.

tia everyone

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. May 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    You might be able to tie it into the factory dimmer for the gauges. Just a thought.

3. May 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    triplejjj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    LoPro QT, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liners, ScanGauge, WeatherTech Deflectors, Drop in Billet Grill, Train Horns, PanoFlex Window Tint, Viper Alarm, Remote Start, Console Vault,
    That's what I was thinking, wondering whats the best place to do it.

4. May 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    I did mine from the a/c panel, but I guess an easier route is to splice into the factory fog switch

5. May 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    If you dont have a test light to test the fog switch wires, here is were it is on the a/c. This is were I spliced mine in. I did two switches on this wire and it works perfect
    [​IMG]

6. May 14, 2014 at 2:52 AM
    triplejjj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4

Thanks Dave, I think the a/c panel would be easier to work on the wires since theres more room. Any particular wire gauge you recommend or use?

thanks
    appreciate it

7. May 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    triplejjj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    At the risk of looking dumb, I have to ask!
    If I actually found the dimmer wire and put a test light on it and it lights up, shouldn't
    the darn test light go dim when I turn the dimmer dial down? So far I can get the light on the switch to light but not go dim. I tried the green wire in the post above and thats what I got.

8. May 17, 2014 at 2:24 AM
    triplejjj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    Eighty Six thousand members here and I have two replies. :confused:

9. May 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    triplejjj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    FYI for everyone, Skip the 12 volt prob since I read it may or may not cause you to short out some components and just get a multimeter to check for your dimmer wire. Good luck since it's 12 volt negative until you turn up the illumination switch then it turns 12 volt positive.
    I seen some very burned up wiring harnesses in my quest for answers from people hooking
    the dimmer wire up incorrectly. In the end I wired the led wire to an accc wire with a fuse just to be safe. Even when you turn the dimmer all the way down it does not dim everything
    so it wasn't worth it to me to take the chance.

Products Discussed in

To Top