1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6inch lift/35s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Orlo555, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Apr 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    Orlo555

Orlo555 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco dcsb TRD sport
    Hey everyone I know there's post on 6 inch lifts but thought could start one about technical issues good and bad.
    I have a 14 dcsb and wanna put on a 6 inch rough country drop lift with 35s and of course I've heard good and bad so for guys who have a 6 inch lift and 35s let me hear your good bad and ugly.
    1 what brand/stage lift would you recommend
    2 what Mpgs u get after lift
    3 any noise or vibrations
    4 any tips on install
    5 would you do a 6 inch lift again
    6 anyone towed with 6imch /35s
    7 and generally any other info/advice

2. May 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    2014BlueTacoma

2014BlueTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hendersonville TN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Hey Buddy! I got a 6" RC lift on my new 2014 tacoma with 500 miles on it and I wouldnt have it any other way! not sure about mpg yet only had it lifted a few days now! with the mt tires i get a little road noise but no weird vibrations with the lift or anything. as far as install I work at an offroad shop and my tech did the lift as I stood around taking pics its deff a hard task for 1 man takes 2 people to do it right and fast. and one more thing the 35s with 20x10s with a -24 offset will require a little trimming on the front rear fender flares and the tire will rub the body mount on driver side at full turn to the left! hope all this helps a little !!!! btw heres how mine turned out im in love!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ColeJ239 likes this.
  3. May 16, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Very Nice!!! I bet you can't wait to go rock crawling, off roading and trailing. Have a blast.

4. May 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    Nutzo333

Nutzo333 FreakShow333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, 315/70 r17 Duratracs, TRD Cold Air Intake MBRP stainless with duel side exit rear exhaust
    Morning.
    1- Fabtech 6" lift with the 2.5 <<its the kit I have, not pushing it, just stating>>
    2- I average 13-14 MPG with my stock 3.73 gearing, no locker.
    3- The only noise I got was the usual driveline vibration you'll find a fix for on another thread. The hum of a nice off road tire i dont think counts lol.
    4- Unless you can weld, best to have a shop to it. Only real "difficult" part of the drop bracket lift is welding and pressing in of wheel bearings. I do not own a press nor any welding equipment...
    5- I probably wouldnt do a 6" lift again. Nothing wrong with the lift, just I want more lift next time around and will probably go the SAS route lol. Love my current lift though.
    6 - Towing would depend on your gearing. I towed my friends ATV on a small trailer, wasn't exactly difficult, but again, stock gears so I would never pull anything even half its capacity. Also hauled out a fair bit of fire wood from the bush.

Love my lift. The price of 35" rubber kind of sucks, but at the same time its worth it if you do any off roading, even light stuff. I have over 60 000 miles on my lift on my 06 <<pics in my profile if you wanna peek>>. I found I go through a lot of CV boots though. Im on my 5'th set of boots. I only went through one axle, but that was because I didnt see the tare in my boot, got the grease packed full of dirt and mudd and welll... you can guess how that panned out. My next idea will be a set of long travel boots from Allpro off road. I really like the idea of putting some RCV CV axles in my truck, but I cant justify $2000 for a set of axles. I have 3 CVs, and just rebuild them as the boot wares out. Keep it fresh, notice one goes, swap it out, rebuild, repeat.
    Balancing tires this large is a PITA. Skip balancing weights all together. You would have to get them re balanced every other oil change in order to keep em perfect. Instead, use a balancing compound. Live balances the tires every time you go over 30 mph ish. I use 10oz of the off road compound, when i hit the highway, its smoooooth as glass. Wont use weights on my tires ever again.
    The good thing is there is no shortage of compliments, the off road characteristics are pretty good, and you can definatly remove "curb" from your dictionary . Minor rock crawling is fine with a DB kit, though if you're looking for more extreme, a long travel kit would suit you better. Ive hit 3 deer with my truck as well, the bumper kind of knocked em under my truck and came out pretty much unscathed <<only one small crack under a fog light>> I use studded 35" duratracs for the winter and they do amazing. I will not use another tire for winter driving. My Cooper STT's were ok, fantastic off road even, but no match for the duratracs on the icy highways. I also plan on re gearing to 4.88. Talked to a member after I blew my rear end on an extended road trip <<shout out to ECGS for kicking ass for building me a replacement rear in great time>> I talked to a few other members out there about which (4.56 or 4.88) but only 1 of them actually had both and he said the 4.88 was much better suited for the 35's. Truck was much more user friendly with the taller gears and was not really any different in the MPG department (when comparing to the 4.56)
    Any questions dont be shy, were all here to help :)

5. May 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    Papa Taco

Papa Taco HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4 6 Speed
    Follow the yellow brick road
    only problem with the 6 inch lift is you lose a lot of clearance with the drop bracket. Most guys that are wheeling there trucks are using mid travel if not long travel. If you just want to play in some dirt sometimes you should be fine, but if you plan on taking some aggressive trails than you might want to look into other options

6. May 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    All of those questions we're answered in the last 5 or so pages of the DB lift thread in the suspension section.

I don't suggest going with a 6" lift. do a mid travel with coil overs and UCA's

-Signed uphappy DB lift owner

Products Discussed in

To Top