1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airbags for the rear do I need cradles?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ThatMattGuy, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    ThatMattGuy

ThatMattGuy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lenoir City, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 White 2WD Reg Cab
    So I have a 2014 Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 v6 with the 4 leaf pack installed the day it was born from factory. I put a leer cap on the back and the rear springs are flat and it is clear from the bump stops I have bottomed out a time or two. I do occasionally (maybe once a month, but way more often in the spring, summer, and fall) load it down with 500+ lb's of junk and I fear destroying the leafs more then they already have been. While I have read countless threads about new leaf springs I am not sold because I really dont want to raise my truck (except perhaps back to the stock height precap). Which is why I am looking at airbags. Also I don't like the idea of ripping out the rear suspension all on my own but it seems airbags are pretty straight forward.

It seems some people have found their answer with just the Airbags however others suggest also getting daystar cradles to prevent the bags from getting damaged when you take it into the dealer, or if you go offroad and the suspension get fully extended.

What I would like to hear and will pay lots of internet money for (IE not real money, but I will rep ya) is if you have airbags,
    What you got (brand)?
    What you set them to for day to day (seems like 5-10lbs is the standard)?
    What you set them for when loaded down?
    Also if you have had any issues when getting your car serviced with the bags getting destroyed or stretched because of the lack of cradle?
    I read in one post there is a new firestone bag out that's supposed to be more betters, any word on that?
    Did your bags bolt right on or did you have to modify stuff?

If you have a cradle, what brand did you get (daystar or whatever)?
    Where did you get it (site on the interwebs)?
    Is there a model number or are they generic?
    How you installed it (did you have to fabricate, or did they just bolt in factory locations)?

Also if you have had bags but learned they still can't help the Tacoma's woefully under designed suspension what did you go with?

I use my truck mainly to commute 60 miles a day, but when I need a truck, I need a truck as its my shelter when I camp(why I got the cap) and holds my guns/ammo, cooler, junk, and me. I also help family and myself on home improvement efforts which is usually not an easy load. I really don't want to mess with gas mileage so I would ideally like to keep the stock ride height not to mention I am really not comfortable ripping out leaf packs and rear shocks, but if it came to it, I could.

Thanks for all your time.

Geronimo1111 likes this.
  2. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Funny, I JUST ordered some air bag cradles.
    Firestone bags, bolted right on. Have had them on for about a year, wheel a lot. They still hold air. Like them a lot for the amount of weight I carry.

3. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    ThatMattGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lenoir City, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 White 2WD Reg Cab
    So are you stock height with stock suspension? If so have you had problems with the dealer or others extending the bags past their ok point perhaps damaging them? Is that the reason you got the cradles? Also if you had to do it again would you get bags or upgrade the rear leafs and shocks?

4. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    fla taco

fla taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Dblcab TRD OR
    I have Firestone ride rites on my 05 TRD OR dblcab. I did the install myself and did not use cradles. The install requires the cutting of the OE bump stops. I drilled a couple holes on either side of the rear tag for the air fill nipples. Install was not bad and took a couple of hours.

For every day driving I keep them inflated to ten pounds. When towing my 5000lb travel trailer I range between 35 and 45 pounds. I've had no issues with the ride rites and would highly recommend them.

When servicing your truck on a lift be sure to completely deflate the bags to avoid tearing.

Enjoy

5. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    ThatMattGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lenoir City, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 White 2WD Reg Cab

Thanks for the reply. You mention deflating them when getting serviced, I am assuming when you off road you would want to deflate them as well?

6. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    Stock '12 Sport 4 leaf springs with Wheelers 3 leaf HD aal in the rear. I constantly lift a tire off road, no problems with the bags. I'm sure you fine at the garage on a lift. Still have more plans for the rear suspension, shackle flip for more droop. Have all parts, procrastinating on install. That might OD the stock springs, we'll see. Right now their working just perfect.

7. May 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    The cradles let the airbag float. Normally the air bag is bolted to a top and a bottom bracket. When using the Daystar cradle.........you bolt cradle to bottom bracket and the air bag just sits in it. You bolt the top of the air bag to top bracket.When you put vehicle on a shop lift to be worked on you no longer have to worry about taking air out of the bags.Also bags bolted top and bottom limit your suspenion travel.With cradle you have full range of suspension travel ,great if you go off road .Firestone ride rite airbags with the daystar cradles. I think you get a factory ride with cradles when empty. just my opinion. Bags bolt right on.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  8. May 16, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    Any of you guys with the cradles had problems with ice buildup? I'm afraid of that as well as mud and rocks getting in there. I drive about 30% on dirt roads and gravel tend to get into any little spot it can.

9. May 16, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    I wheel a lot in the sand and mud, haven't had any probs so far. The cradles have all kinds of spaces on the bottom for stuff to get out. Or in for that matter. I've seen no evidence of foreign matter in the cradles.

Edit: no problems with ice build down here.

10. May 16, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    off topic but what shocks do you use with that setup?

11. May 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    For the OP I've had Firestone airbags installed for almost a year now. I have them set at 10 - 12 for the drivers side and 3psi lower for the passenger side. This seems to help a bit with "taco lean". Depending on the load in the bed and trailer weight I've had them anywhere from 12 psi up to 25 again keeping the passenger side 3psi lower. When I had it up to 25psi I was pulling a trailer that weighed about 4700 pounds and had maybe 350 pounds in the bed. Truck worked great with the airbags and I'm very happy with them.

I am with you about having service done and or putting my truck on a lift. One question I am wondering in addition to yours if anybody can answer is.

How hard is it to put daystar cradles on after the bags have been installed? Do you need to take the bags completely off, or can you slide them on underneath without taking off the top?

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  12. May 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New York
    Vehicle:
    SOLD:2012 TRD Sport 2017 SR5 4Runner
    Toytec 1/2 spacers, A.R.E Z, Firestone airbags
    I have the Firestone as well and I generally keep about 12psi for daily use and about 15psi for larger loads and pulling my trailer and atv (1200 pounds total). I have only had them about a year so I don't know much about the bag damage from putting the truck on a lift. But I know I love the eased of install and the adjustability I have with different loads. Here is a picture with about 400 pounds of mulch in the bed with 15 psi in the bags. As you can see extremely nose low...

IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg

13. May 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    boomer6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    I think as long as you are able to jack the truck up high enough to let the suspension hang all the way down (with no air in the bags) you should be able to take the bottom bracket off the axle. Then unbolt the bottom of the air bag. Bolt daystar cradle to bottom plate and bolt it back onto axle. After doing both sides of truck , lower it and the bottom of the air bags should sit into the cradles. They will free float, dont need to take air out when in the shop on lift.Also if you go off road, you will have the full range of suspension travel......it wont be limited like when the air bags where bolted top and bottom. Hope this helps.

14. May 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    phil12382

phil12382 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Cols,OH
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab trd off rd
    Bilstein 5100's all around with OME 885s in front . 265/75/16. 5k hid, Fog 3k. Anytime fog light mod. Grillecraft upper and lower. Firestone airbags. Daystar Cradles. Illuminated 4x4 switch. Scan Guage II. LR UCA.
    i added my firestone air bags months ago with the daystar cradles and I absolutely love them. I have lifted the truck in the air on a lift, ive done mild offroading and they have been just perfect. i leave 5-7lbs in them all the time and forget there even on the truck. in my book excellent for the rear sag specially when towing. The ride has stayed the same as well.

15. May 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    Thanks for the info, it does help. I want to add the cradles I just wasn't looking forward to taking everything off then back on again, being lazy.

Didn't mean to thread jack.

16. May 16, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I think the cradles have the ADVANTAGE of NOT damaging the airbags when on a lift due to the fact that they are not longer CONNECTED to the axle. I believe there was the possibility of tearing the airbag when lifting the vehicle. The shock and/or leaf spring should be the limiting factor in both scenarios though.

17. May 17, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    boomer6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    You are correct.

Products Discussed in

To Top