1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What size synthetic winch line?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bridgcat, May 17, 2014.

1. May 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Gents,
    Im new the the winch thing. Just bought an all pro bumper and a winch but its got a steel line. Anyone know of a good synthetic line to change to? It's an 8,000 lb winch. Thanks in advance!

2. May 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    potstech

potstech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Why do you want to go to synthetic line?

3. May 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    The weight.

4. May 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    3/8" is my recommendation.

I would also recommend a hawse fairlead and Dyneema cable. You can technically use the roller fairlead that came with your winch if you have never used it with the steel cable but otherwise it is no bueno for your synthetic cable.

Lastly, get a chafe guard. I would take my synthetic any day over the steel cable personally.

5. May 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks will. What's a dyneema and a chafe guard?

6. May 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    An 8000lb winch comes with 5/16" steel cable with a breaking strength of approximately 9000 lbs.

5/16" dyneema has a breaking strength of roughly 12000 lbs - already 30% stronger. There's no need to use the extra bulk of 3/8" IMO.

For any extension lines you carry - where you might hook them up with a 2/1 cascaded block - upgrade to 3/8" or even 7/16" dyneema.

Two cents, adjusted for inflation.

7. May 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man! Whats usually the weight difference between the two? Like...my winch with the steel line weights about 94 pounds.

8. May 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    Crusher69

Crusher69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '05 Built
    im jealous over hear

9. May 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    See http://www.winchline.com/faq.html

Roughly about 15 lbs savings for the cable, and another 10 for the aluminum hawse vs. the steel rollers.

10. May 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all your help! I'm about to pull the trigger! Just one last question. I'm running 650 lb coils on my icon extended travel coilivers. With the weight of the winch decreasing approximately 25 pounds and the bumper weight at 125 for a total of 194 w/ winch and synthetic line; will I need the 700 lb springs?

11. May 18, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    That's not a question I can really answer for you.

Personally, I can't really imagine running 650lb coils without a heavy bumper - but then I don't have a V6.

Are you going to add heavy skid plates too?

My suggestion would be to put the bumper and winch on and see how it is and how you like it, and then decide if you want to up your spring rate, or maybe just adjust your coilovers a bit.

Products Discussed in

To Top