1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lookin at caps. what say you?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cactuscorn, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    cobrakenny

cobrakenny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab 4x4 LB
    For me...I use my truck for work as well as play and regularly need to access tools, materials, camping stuff, groceries etc. from the bed. Without windoors I would be crawling over everything to get to the stuff up front.
    I think it's also one of those things like the windsheild on my motorcycle...always swore I would never have one but once I got one could never do without again. Same thing with the windoors, now that I've had them...I can't go back!

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    got my leer 100r coming with just driver side windoor.....saved the money for thesecond windoor for healiner and 3 prong

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Tint, sliders, puddle pods, on my way to more….
    Pretty much what has been said, the windoors will simply make access to the bed of your truck easier all around and more secure(no windows).It also boils down to looks as well. Im a tile setter and it would help alot to have them,I didnt like the look and found the shell I have for a good price. Good luck with your purchase:D

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Windoors are the only way to use your bed without crawling in there. If your camping scenario keeps you crawling in there every time you need something, I can see it wouldn't be the first choice maybe. You'll never ever ever see a work truck with sliders. I've had sliders in the past. But since having the windoors I never open my tailgate.
    2 pluses beyond access to entire length of the bed.

1: The snug top and several versions of other people's tops lock when closed at the back. My push lock snug top has to be keyed every time I open it. It sucks. PS.. the longer I own my snugtop, the less I like it. I'm not really complaining (remember $150 price tag) but its not as good as my A.R.E on my old taco in any measure you throw at it. Sloppy front to back.

2: You can back up to your garage or whatever and have alternate entry to the bed. Technically I can crawl through the window if I need to, and have, rather than go into the house for the keys to move the truck from the garage.. just like when you have to get into the back of your suv from the back seat because you can't get the lift gate open.

Just be aware that your plans and the reality are 2 different things. But you can't plan for everything.
    I just picked up a "boot" for the front of the cab. Worked out pretty nice. gave a bit more visibility and no need to move cap or buy the tilt in to clean. The sliders on caps suck anyway.

5. Nov 22, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    padykman

padykman Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    10 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4
    Leer Shell Outlet plug in cabin
    I got the Leer 100r with liner and front fold down and also a bed rug floor only mat for $1600 OTD. i think it is only a fair deal but I am excited to get it with the snow comming. I guess it will take 3-4 weeks to get it here in idaho.

6. Nov 22, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn [OP] Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    sounds high for that model but the important thing is ya got what ya wanted. ill be up in sun valley for the downhill mtb nationals in july next year and hope to have my shell long before then

7. Dec 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Tactical Me

Tactical Me Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Severn, Md
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access Cab
    Allpro Offroad Bumper, TSB Leaf Springs, Toytec Ultimate Kit, Total Chaos UCA, Weathertech Digi-tech
    Good luck with your cap. The local dealer tried to convince me to buy the Century Royal since it resembled the A.R.E. Z -series. It wasn't what I was looking for, but he was a stand up guy. Quoted me at $1395 for the Century and $1455 for the Z series with installation included.

http://www.trucknamerica.com/

I'll pull the trigger on the Z series after Christmas.

8. Dec 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    Just got a Century Truck Cap for my 09 acc cab. Headliner, lifetime warranty, installed, and the bells it comes with for 1300. It is made by leer, ran cheaper, and gave me everything the 100r did plus the headliner and i saved 300 dollars. Very happy so far. But since this cap is only going to be on the truck for winter ( 3 mo ) and then stored, it was a great buy for us.

9. Jan 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    Tylan

Tylan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylan
    Wakefield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Nautical Blue - "Bella"
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Access LightRider, 235/85/16 DuraTrac
    Did you pull the trigger? Got pics of your new cap? Would love to see it!

10. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    intrudn86

intrudn86 Active Member

Member:
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd Mostly Stock
    Love my Snugtop! I looked at a few others... but figured if I was going to spend the money I might as well get what I really wanted. I ordered one color-matched to my truck with the carpeted interior and the fold down sliding window... which makes it nice when you want to clean your rear slider. It was a bit more, but remember... you get what you pay for. Buy cheap.. get cheap.

11. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What's a cap ?

12. Jan 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Oh.. I didn't even notice.. you're a "foreigner".. that makes a lot of difference.
    Never been to BC

13. Jan 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    "Foreigner " holds no weight here , unless of course you think the internet is one of the US states .

14. Jan 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    well technically yes its the internet.. not "das internet" the "yintewang" or "l'internet".. But we share. Just like we share TV, and you share your entertainers (Shatner was a well worth while import)
    but to me you are a foreigner. Cept for .. hmm. If you are in my office, in the US but not really, is the relationship as a foreigner. Because you aren't here, are you foreign, you are where you are, which is local to you. But no Its positional from the point of the observer, me in this case. So...

Yes. You are a foreigner. If this was a different kind of relationship, I would file a foreign contact form.

15. Jan 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    That's an interesting argument . I'm more foreign than you in Hawaii.

16. May 17, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    postpicspls

postpicspls New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Sacto
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    Bone stock for now
    I'm in the process of building a sleeping platform in my '06. did you post pics of yours or do a thread on the build by any chance?

THX!

17. May 18, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    Fincher1

Fincher1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4
    Lifted with big MFing wheels
    man I knew I shouldn't of listen to my boss, my wife lol, she did not want me to get a cap she said it looks grandpa haha but I found one on craigslist in Oklahoma for 400 paint matched my color, white. the guy sold the truck and did not need it anymore.....dang it

18. May 18, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I had my cap for a month now and I have zero regrets.
    I got the ARE CX model and love it. I'm super glad I went with the vented windoors. It's nice being able to open the sides and get items without crawling in. Honestly, I wouldn't do without that option if I had to get another cap.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top