1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extended Travel Coil Over

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cybrnitro, May 19, 2014.

1. May 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    cybrnitro

cybrnitro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    1939 International D2
    All of the RUST
    OK. So who has done the extended Travel Coil Over. there are a few different ones on toytech. what other mod did you have todo besides Upper Control Arm. how was the ride. I don't mind. spending a couple grand if i have to. i just want the truck to handle correct and be safe, and not have to worry about future issues due to the lift kit. i would like 2in to 3in lift. also with what ever lift you suggest whats the max tire size.
    THANKS!!!

2. May 20, 2014 at 2:54 AM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    I am running King extended travel coilovers myself with Total Chaos upper control arms. I prefer King but Icon, Fox, Sway Away all make great shocks too. I would go with a uniball upper control arm over a ball joint upper control arm.

I would purchase from Downsouth Motorsports over Toytech though. DSMS will build a shock package for you that is specific to your truck rather than a cookie cutter off the shelf shock. There prices can't be best and they have free shipping too.

3. May 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    i have the icon extended travel. theyre a bit stiff overall, but i have yet to start putting weight on the truck, i imagine this will significantly improve the ride. offroading its not been really tested yet... but as soon as i got it in i could tell a serious improvement over stock. i had some questions about the install of the leafs... but chose to just go for the gold - i now have 7 leaf in the back. i went with the tubular uca's and the uniball is AMAZING. love that little piece of engineering. going into it blind and inexperienced it took me about 7 hours to put the whole thing on. i checked all my torques each time i drove it for a few days and now im just enjoying it.

i would have liked a bit softer of a ride... but ill see what happens with bumpers and winch, full skids and my bed rack w RTT. so far- totally worth the $

4. May 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    06HAOLE

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    Cybrnitro: there is section here on TW that is exclusively devoted to mid travel suspension set ups. It's safe to say that every possible suspension combination has been evaluated and discussed in that section.

Start reading the sticky top sections first. The first few sections will answer a lot of your questions.

5. May 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    cybrnitro

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    1939 International D2
    All of the RUST
    whats ur opinion between just going with the 3in lift coil over and the 3in lift extended travel coil over. what would be the big advantage. i have read the posts and forums. but didn't find my specific answers
    THANKS!!!

6. May 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    toytec doesn't offer mid travel coilovers

7. May 20, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    06HAOLE

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    An extended travel coilover just offers you another 1" of travel. You have to run an aftermarket upper control arm with these but you can get away with stock arms if they aren't extended travel coilovers.

I would opt for the extended travel since a bolt in coilover doesn't have much travel anyway. Basically we need to use all that we can. The LT guys are running 13"-19" of travel in the front and it's a huge difference over the 8-9.5" of travel we get with a MT setup.

8. May 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    bueller

bueller Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
  9. May 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Wait till you go offroad, I have the extended Icons and its amazing offroad, night and day difference from stock, really smooth ride. Are you talking about you want softer ride on road?

Extended travel give you more travel. Its a very slight amount, I talked to someone at DSMS and I think he said its about 1/2" more travel. I dont remember exactly but its not much extra travel but you may as well get it for the same price as standard.

10. May 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    there's no point in using extended travels without aftermarket uppers
    you won't get the extra travel and the extra length can damage stock joints

as per DSM's website for extended coilovers
    meh
    I was thinking toytec's brand stuff

theyre not much longer but shock travel and wheel travel are different things

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  11. May 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Right, its about 1/4" shock travel and no more than 3/4" wheel travel. If Im remembering right, I probably am off a little bit, but my main point is that it isnt much wheel travel gained.

12. May 21, 2014 at 3:32 AM
    cybrnitro

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    1939 International D2
    All of the RUST
    Ok u guys mis understood my question. If I put the toy tech boss coil over. In my truck that cost 899 and gives me 3in lift. What kind of ride am I going to get. What kind of advantage am I going to have off-road. What downfalls will I have.

If I go coil over extended travel it's 1200 pluss a new Uca.
    Thanks!!

13. Sep 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM
    cybrnitro

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    1939 International D2
    All of the RUST
    Ok. I'm back. I'm going with extended travel. I want the full 3in. I was going to go with the fox2.5 3in lift shocks. But the don't say extended but they require new Uca???..... which I will go with camburg.

On the camburgs they come in two variations. 1.0unibal and 1.25 uniball. Usually more expensive is better but do I need the1.25. What's the advantage.

Products Discussed in

To Top