1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overhead or Headrest Video

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BlackTac777, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    BlackTac777

BlackTac777 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Forsyth county GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DCLB Tacoma TRD Sport
    So reaching out to the parents on this one. I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo soon in my car. My princess (3 yr old) loves to watch her movies. Currently, I just tie on a portable monitor to the headrest for her to watch.

So, for those that got monitors, did you go with the single overhead style or put them in the headrest? a friend of mine that owns a custom shop, suggested putting the single overhead style but I'm wondering if that's what would have made him more money off me.

My initial thoughts are:
    Overhead: Cheaper maybe? but...one screen that requires heads and eyes to be looking a specific direction and viewing at an angle.
    Headrest: higher costs but keeps child looking straight

2. Sep 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    BlackTac777

Member:
    Forsyth county GA
    Vehicle:
    nobody has monitors in their Tacs?

3. Sep 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    NOCENTS

NOCENTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC needin some lovin
    loooooong list of mods coming as soon as I finish the audio/video system
    I out a 7" monitor in each headrest. I dont like the look of the flip downs and really didnt want to block the veiw from my mirror. I ran the wires through the headrest tubes. was more work but for me easily worth it. I didnt like how they can be seen so easily but titning my windows did help with that.
    good luck!!!

4. Sep 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    BlackTac777

Member:
    Forsyth county GA
    Vehicle:
    cool, if you have any pics of the setup, do you mind posting them?

5. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    ndsgr

ndsgr Well-Known Member

Member:
    The wife has headrests and flip down in her Sienna. The flip down sucks since it blocks the rear view mirror. We only use it when there are kids in the third row.

6. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
    I went with the overhead. It was quite a bit cheaper. I put my sons booster seat in the middle. That is supposed to be a safer place for him. I have no regrets. It is not hard to see from any place in the rear seat. Does block the rearview, but I sometimes have a camper in tow, and I am accustomed to using the side mirrors. It is also easier for me to load DVDs with it just over my head.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    Atomac

Atomac New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad, Silver
    Sliders, Light Bar, Alpine CDE-HD149B, Polk Audio MM 6501 front and rear, tinted windows. To Come: Exaust, Blower and ?????
    Can you post a picture? I have a 2012 Dbl Cab TRD and want to get a overhead for my kids but the headliner isnt flat around the dome light so was curious about what brand as well as can you post a pic?

8. May 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    NOCENTS

NOCENTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC needin some lovin
    loooooong list of mods coming as soon as I finish the audio/video system
    OP what did you go with?

9. May 22, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 inch screen, Advent brand

Products Discussed in

To Top