1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing Propex heater in Tacoma bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XwXRYANXwX, May 23, 2014.

1. May 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    XwXRYANXwX

XwXRYANXwX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Sport w/ TRD Supercharger
    I have a topper on my 2010 Tacoma and was thinking for next winter adding a propex heater under the topper for myself/ girlfriend/ dog. It would make winter camping much better.

I was thinking of running the exhaust out of one of those storage cubbies. That way you could cover the vent hole up when you take the topper off for the summer. I've heard you never should run propane in the cab so I was thinking whenever you pull into where you are going to be hanging out you could put the propane tank under the truck and connect the already ran hose to the tank and you're ready to rock. Anyone have any thoughts on this or done this?

2. May 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Personally I would go electric. Get a small generator to run a space heater, perhaps a good oil filled portable heater which puts out no noise, and more than big enough for the back of a pickup. It will be cheaper than the propex heater and all the pluming. You could also use the gen. about a 2500 watt with 3500 surge, for other things like lights, or appliances if you desired and all this would be safer and cheaper. These sell gen. for around 300.00 http://www.sears.com/all-power-amer...p-07107339000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 dollars plus your electric heater which would be about another 100 plus or minus. Also the gas gen will not use as much petrol as the propane heater. Just a thought.;)

3. May 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    XwXRYANXwX

XwXRYANXwX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Sport w/ TRD Supercharger
    right, I thought about a generator but they're pretty loud. I wouldn't want to run that near where I was sleeping. I also am trying to be stealth when I'm camping.... near a lot of ski resorts and places there is "no camping allowed"

4. May 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Get a Honda EU model. They claim 49db. 60 db is normal conversation. You can run the genny 25-50 feet away and between the distance and objects like trees and such blocking/deflecting the sound waves, you won't even hear it. Safer than the propane and you can run all types of electric accessories like an electric grill, heater, phone chargers, etc. Plus, you'll have a genny for all those kinds of needs.

5. May 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    They work well- lots of folks on expedition portal use them as do a lot of VW bus owners. Be sure the vent line exits outside of the vehicle, not under it and you don't want it getting clogged/blocked by snow. Remember propane pressure/BTUs drop in the colder weather so you'll need to insulate the cylinder, especially from the ground (conduction). Even though the current draw is small, most folks recommend having a second/house battery to run them off especially in cold climates.

They make a little noise but nothing like a generator which is sure to annoy your neighbors, even the quiet Hondas. Moving the generator away from your vehicle is an invitation to have it stolen in a lot of places.

6. May 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I saved a members life this winter (I shall not name). He was well on his way to passing out and eventual death due to the build up of noxious gas and lack of oxygen in his truck due to use of a heater. If it weren't for me going to his truck and knocking on the window out of fear from a pack of coyotes he would surely be dead.

I will never understand why people want heaters in their tents/trucks. I dress properly for conditions and have the right sleeping bag so I have never seen a need for a heater.

It was 16*F when this happened and he had a heater that was "supposed" to turn off when o2 levels were low. It did not.

7. May 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Were you able to verify his impending death with an O2 meter? Good thing you are so awesome.

8. May 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

No.

Good thing I'm scared of a pack of Coyotes or he would be dead.

I had to pound on the trucks window for 5 minutes before he woke up...and then he was delirious and coughing for 10 minutes after I woke him.

Everyone here knows him, but Ill refrain from naming him. Maybe he will see this and jump into the conversation.

2 years ago while camping we had another member knock his heater over in his tent and almost burn alive. Luckily for him and other people with heaters, tents are sprayed with fire retardant or he would also be dead most likely. He woke up to a massive 3' hole in the bottom of his tent. Who knows how many toxic fumes he ingested overnight.

9. May 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Try sleeping naked with your GF (and/or dog). If that does not generate enough heat, don't bother to go!

10. May 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I know plenty of people who use them for cold weather camping. Sure a sleeping bag and the gear can keep you warm. But when you get up at 1am it really sucks to have all your water frozen, your harness being frozen, ski boots super stiff, ect. Just have ot be smart when you do use them. Pick up a CO2/CO/Fire alarm and stick it in the bed with you. Have a fire extinguisher. Have the heater properly secure.

Course thats only when im near the truck. When climbing the heater doesn tget to come so its back to shoving as much crap into my bag with me as i can to keep it warm lol

11. May 24, 2014 at 3:39 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:

There is a big difference between the type of heaters you are trying to compare but I guess that doesn't matter. The Buddy heaters which you seem to be alluding to are not true catalytic heaters and on the packaging it states that you must have a source of fresh air for them or you risk death despite them having low O2 sensors (not CO sensors). The combustion takes place in the same compartment as the heated air while the Propex and similar heaters like the Eberspacher used a forced air system which vents the exhaust. As long as the system is properly maintained and the vent line is not blocked they are safe to use in enclosed spaces. For many folks they make cold weather camping much more enjoyable, especially as they get older. Anyone using a heater of any sort would be well advised to also use a smoke/CO detector.

12. May 24, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    There are tens of thousands campers and motor homes out there with propane heaters they are safe and reliable they exhaust by products out side and bring in fresh air. A space heater in a truck shell is not a good ideal some are very clean but the bottom line they deplete O2 and in some thing that small it would be hard to keep combustibles away from the heater.

13. May 24, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Yea frozen ski boots would be no good. Ive never camped then skied. Heck I haven't even skied in 2 years. I heard Hood just claimed some more climbers a few weeks ago. Last time I was there skiing a bunch of guys lost their lives climbing.

I never considered camping being so extremely cold nor a exhausted heater. My experiences seem to be in tamer weather and with people less properly prepared.

If a system is truly safe and installed correctly I would surely enjoy its warmth. To date I have no need, but we rarely get temps lower than 10-20* when camping. In those instances we bring coolers to keep our liquids fluid.

14. May 24, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    That part about "not being properly prepared" is important. Having temperature appropriate gear is key- and I've seen a lot of folks who wonder why their Walmart or Target sleeping bag and cotton clothing aren't keeping them warm. I have a VW Westfalia in addition to my Tacoma and I will say it's nice to be able to fire up the heater in the morning before climbing out of bed (I won't sleep with it on but I also have proper bedding; a smoke/CO detector stays in the bus). It's much more enjoyable to change clothes in a warm environment while having a hot drink than it is to try to change in a sleeping bag. ;)

For those using a camper shell instead of an actual camper; adding insulation will help, especially covering the glass windows (Reflectix is easy to cut to size and inexpensive). Be sure to insulate the floor/beneath you too- we generally lose heat faster to conduction than convection. Wearing a balaclava to bed helps prevent a lot of heat lose. I've got some nice sleeping bags but I sleep better under a nice pile of wool blankets and a down comforter when I've got the space to carry them. Also try tossing a water bottle with heated water in it down in the foot of your sleeping bag/bed before climbing in- make sure it doesn't leak before doing this. Using one of those self heating TheraBand things on your back/kidney area will also make a big difference.

gsubioguy likes this.
  15. May 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

Now is always a interesting time to be out climbing and skiing. People think o its a nice 50 degrees so can just go out and have fun. But the snow is still settling and constantly melting and crap. Wet slides are pretty common and can be hard to predict without just knowing they could happen. Same with just plain climbing the snow is melting so crevasses and other hidden dangers start to emerge...or more dangerously have a very thing covering hiding them.

But thats besides the point. Like Baja said you can be warm and toasting the bag/bed but soon as the covers come off it can really suck if you dont have a heater. I dont sleep with mine on but do turn it on when i get up to warm up the bed of my truck.

16. May 25, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The Propex heaters are very nice but you would have to do a lot of cold weather camping to make the $900 price tag worth it. If you looked around you could find a small camper with a heater in it for $900!

Products Discussed in

To Top